Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 05:26 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post
The Hornblower Companion by CS Forester
How funny to see this poster's username just now because I just finished reading The Metamorphasis for a lit class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 06:06 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,416,945 times
I just read Dandelion Hunter which was a really unexpected delightful read. It's hard to classify it as it is I guess non fiction but sort of like Billy Bryson telling a story and relating facts- and maybe highlighting some perspective on stuff that is all around you every day. The full name is "Dandelion Hunter: Forgaging the Urban Wilderness"

In any case, I highly recommend it- it is light hearted but full of good info and just a good read.

Amazon.com: Dandelion Hunter: Foraging the Urban Wilderness: Explore similar items

Old 04-20-2013, 11:15 AM

101 posts, read 32,824 times
Weekly Magizine

Old 04-20-2013, 11:17 AM

1,716 posts, read 3,582,113 times
Currently reading the Great Gatsby for English class. I'm into "the good old days" so I'm enjoying it.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:07 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,026 times
Orphan Train: A Novel by Christina Baker Kline. I am really enjoying it.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:43 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,737,655 times
He said quietly, "You see, sir, nothing can change it. You will be destroyed and driven out." His voice was very soft. "The people don't like to be conquered, sir, and so they will not be. Free men cannot start a war, but once it is started, they can fight on in defeat. Herd men, followers of a leader, cannot do that, and so it is always the herd men who win battles and the free men who win wars. You will find that is so, sir."

From "The Moon is Down" by John Steinbeck

This was a very short novel by Steinbeck, but I thought it was excellent. Now I just have to decide what to read next.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:46 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Just finished reading Robertson Davies' "What's Bred in the Bone." I listened to its audiobook years ago and I am amazed at what a different story it was for me, in reading it. Maybe it's because I didn't listen to it in the trilogy sequence, but the first time it was an okay story well-written. Now, after reading the first in the Cornish Trilogy, it is a great story. I've got several other stories to read before I get back to the last in the trilogy, but I am definitely going to read it.

Now, I've got a stack of books by or about Samuel Beckett -- a fascinating figure to me. I won't read them cover to cover, but I did want to compare his written "Waiting for Godot" to some of the other writings, and I was also able to get a copy of his published letters from '29-'40. Should be interesting for the history if nothing else. He was part of the French Resistance during the war, and I am hoping I will also be able to find published letters after that time, but before he became "discovered."

Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,737,655 times
Morning Journey by James Hilton

Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
Thurgood Marshall, American Revolutionary, by Juan Williams. Interesting, well-researched straight-forward biography.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:52 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,822,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Currently reading the Great Gatsby for English class. I'm into "the good old days" so I'm enjoying it.

I'm not normally a fan of audiobooks (it always seems to me that the reader gets between me and the text), but I had major dental work done this last week. Downloaded Great Gatsby (which I've read before) from Audible, read by Jake Gyllenhall. It's actually a great audio version.

Reread a bunch of stuff this week (so happy to have an ebook reader where I can set the font size or I wouldn't have been able to read this week at all). My favorites: The first two Aubrey/Maturin books by Patrick O'Brian, Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls by Bujold, English Creek and Dancing at the Rascal Fair by Doig. Also reread The Beekeeper's Apprentice by King, which I didn't enjoy as much as the first read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books