Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,354,310 times

Advertisements

Finally made it through "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. A little bit slow at the beginning but it got better and better!

Now I'm almost half way through "16 Lighthouse Road" which was recommended somewhere on this thread (at least the series was so I searched for the first volume) but so far I'm not very impressed . Sorry... Maybe it gets better...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 07:25 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,911,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I definitely don't laugh at Oprah's selections - I really think she is the mother of the modern book club - however, she and I parted ways when I jumped headlong into her recommendation We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carroll Oates. No more sadness, Oprah. No more family dysfunction. No more deep, dark secrets that ruin generations to come. No more Joyce Carroll Oates.

Goodbye, Oprah. Hello Dawn, Ketabcha, Marlow, Blue Plate Willow and many other City Data readers!
okay I just love the last line of this post and yep im also in agreement with goodbye to Oprah and hello to all the wonderful readers above and their book reccomendations .....

Old 04-24-2013, 08:33 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,476,031 times
Finished "Beckett remembering, remembering Beckett: a centenary celebration," edited by James and Elizabeth Knowlson and though it wasn't a compelling read, it did give a nice rounded picture of Beckett the artist and the man. I am really disappointed that I wasn't introduced to his work during my early studies in high school. He wrote "Waiting for Godot" the year I was born, and purportedly took the literary and theatrical art world by storm with its productions in the 70s, which was when I was deeply immersed in Literature. Disappointing, but now I am making up for lost time.

Next up: "WICK," by Michael Bunker

Old 04-24-2013, 09:00 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I definitely don't laugh at Oprah's selections - I really think she is the mother of the modern book club - however, she and I parted ways when I jumped headlong into her recommendation We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carroll Oates. No more sadness, Oprah. No more family dysfunction. No more deep, dark secrets that ruin generations to come. No more Joyce Carroll Oates.

Goodbye, Oprah. Hello Dawn, Ketabcha, Marlow, Blue Plate Willow and many other City Data readers!
Oh, geez, that sounds like pressure for me to start READING again!

I will, I will. Soon. I promise.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:28 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,752,354 times
Default .....or this could go in the Dog forum

I just finished The Fufkin Diaries.

"It was adorable! I laughed! I cried!"--TracySam

"I pooped! I slobbered on the book!"--Shermyn

"I love meatballs!"--Winnie

Old 04-24-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I just finished The Fufkin Diaries.

"It was adorable! I laughed! I cried!"--TracySam

"I pooped! I slobbered on the book!"--Shermyn

"I love meatballs!"--Winnie
Bahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm crying from laughing so hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Artie just jumped on my lap -- he probably thinks I'm dying. Oh god. So funny!

Old 04-25-2013, 08:07 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,476,031 times
Made it through the first 10% of "W1CK" -- sorry, K, but I couldn't buy into the author's premise and the writing seemed affected to me.

Read the first 25% of "Fufkin" and scanned the next 25%, chuckled some. The authors' are great and I hope they do more with less poop. I just couldn't face another poop digest.

Both are just me -- I am quirky that way.

I read the first act of Beckett's "Waiting for Godot." That's probably enough for me. I just wanted to see the words on the page to see if my mind read them the same way they were performed. I'm also not real keen on reading scripts. I've still got his book of letters (1929-1940) his post-graduate years before he worked in the Resistance and before his writing was accepted.

The library finally filled my request for "The Universe Within" which I'd read up to the point were the defective book was missing a section (pg. 147) a couple of months ago. Thankfully, Shubin's writing is so accessible that I was able to pick up where I left off and am reading merrily along.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Read the first 25% of "Fufkin" and scanned the next 25%, chuckled some. The authors' are great and I hope they do more with less poop. I just couldn't face another poop digest.

Both are just me -- I am quirky that way.
Hahahaha!! Artie says, "No poop for you!" (like he's the Poop Nazi).

Sorry, D, that it didn't work for you. Fast forward... there's sweet stuff at the end. I promise.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:30 AM

4,244 posts, read 7,125,559 times
Im on a "Detroit" kick.

Just finished Charlie LeDuffs "Detroit, American Autopsy", which was a very fast, page turning read. Great book highly recommended for casual readers.

Now, I'm working on George Galsters' 'Driving Detroit: The Quest for Respect in Motor City'....a bit more scholarly & historical, still writtein in an informal style.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:14 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
I'm reading Top of the Morning: Inside the Cutthroat World of Morning TV by Brian Stelter.

I have no idea why I wanted to read this. I was not in the mood for a tale of TV execs who act like junior high meanies with slam books and such. It's painful, folks. Do you remember how mean kids could be in junior high school? brrrrrrr. Scares me big time. Well, those junior highers are now TV executives. No, not all execs are meanies but some are. You know, like real life.

However, once I started it I was drawn in (no, I'm not mean but I suppose I can be a PITA from time to time. ). This is the story of what happened with Ann Curry, she of the co-chair of NBC's "Today Show." It is not a "pretty, sweet girl gets prom invite and is dumped very publicly." I think it is a fair presentation of what really happened. But how would I know that? Sheeesh. I feel it in my bones, okay? Plus the author is a journalist with The New York Times and I believe he has done his homework.

But that is not all it is. This writer takes us back to the first Today Show host, Dave Garroway. Anyone remember Dave and his cohost, J. Frank Muggs who was a monkey...I mean a real monkey? I barely remember it but I do recall him and J. Frank. It does not dwell much on the past but it is interesting to review who was where and what they did. Garroway killed himself after he left the show. Apparently he was a bit unbalanced to begin with but aren't we all at some point in time?

I don't watch The Today Show. I watch Good Morning America. GMA. I like all those folks. It has been nipping at the heels of Today for years. Things were not working on Today and the execs were fighting about what to do. Enough said. Well, not quite enough. The fact that the plot to get rid of Ann was named "Operation Bambi" is a hint. See what I mean about meanies.

It's a good book. well written and presented in an easy format. Thank God for that because the subject matter is akin to walking on hot coals barefooted. Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books