Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 05:16 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
It is far easier to learn about another country without the judgmental attitude that many Americans seem to pack in their carry-on. I would think of myself making this trek, as I have many others, with a sense of opportunity rather than a sense of withdrawal, which makes us wonder for what reason some people choose to travel .
It is much more entrancing if you approach a place on the basis of discovering it, rather than comparing it.

I wonder if you've read any work by William Least-Heat Moon? I read his "River Horse" while we traveled and wished I had read it sooner so I could've visited the places he went. There is a bit of judgement in his writing, like his disgust at the flotsam that we've let into our waterways, but in so many other ways it was quite empowering. He had a phrase that I've adopted: "Proceed as the way opens."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 06:41 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,395 times
I'm going to find some new ones. But I just started two other new books but dropped them soon after. They had a bunch of sex in them that I didn't care reading about . Hear enough about it in real life as it is:

The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta

50 shades of Grey by EL James

Old 05-08-2013, 07:36 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,083,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
It is much more entrancing if you approach a place on the basis of discovering it, rather than comparing it.

I wonder if you've read any work by William Least-Heat Moon? I read his "River Horse" while we traveled and wished I had read it sooner so I could've visited the places he went. There is a bit of judgment in his writing, like his disgust at the flotsam that we've let into our waterways, but in so many other ways it was quite empowering. He had a phrase that I've adopted: "Proceed as the way opens."

You are correct, if I complain of someone else being judgmental, then I am judgmental myself, to what gain ?
My son loves that book River Horse, I will borrow his copy. He too is into travel and he is becoming very ecologically aware.

Today, the box from Amazon arrived. One of the simple pleasures of disposable income is the ability to purchase books online and have them delivered right to my door. The other is getting to come on here for a few minutes and get good book advice from people like yourself. Thank you for the recommendation.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:12 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,133 times
Over the Rim - The story of the exploration of Utah by Parley P. Pratt expedition.

How we Die- By Sherwin Nuland Very interesting book about death, and the way we deal with it.

The Places in Between- The true story of Rory Stewart's walk across Afghanistan in 2002. Very gripping tale considering the state of affairs there, now.

I'm Frank Hamer The life and times of a Texas Peace Officer, by Frost Jenkins- I like western history, and the Texas Rangers win my vote, hands down

Our Lady, by Upton Sinclair- Interesting story

Robbers Roost Recollections, by Pearl Baker- More good western history

Not Fade Away, A short Life Well Lived- A very moving, and heartfelt true story of Peter Barton. Very moving

Brave Men by Ernie Pyle- I really like the writing style of Ernie Pyle, and this book chronicles the events leading up to, and the subsequent horror of World War two. Very well written by someone who was on the ground.

The Proper Edge of the Sky by Edward A Geary- Very well written about the High Plateau country of Utah

I have many more, but I will have to pull them from the shelf, and post them at a later date.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,892,688 times
Just decided to start Dickens' Great Expectations, because I realized I'm 43 and have never read it.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Just decided to start Dickens' Great Expectations, because I realized I'm 43 and have never read it.
As a girl I LOVED reading Dickens and didn't understand why so many didn't take his work seriously. Now, my tastes in literature is changed. I recently re-read "A Tale of Two Cities" and thought it overworked. I hope after you read "Great Expectations" you will come back and give it a review. (BTW -- every time I walk into an old house I think of this book. )

Old 05-09-2013, 10:37 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,892,688 times
I figured I'd better read more Dickens. I read a bunch of Wilkie Collins, kind of his lesser-known buddy and protege, but the only thing I had read by Dickens was A Christmas Carol. Oddly, my high school curriculum never included Dickens. I'm glad of that, though, because when I was a teen I hated trying to figure out unfamiliar accents, idioms, and dialects. As I an adult, once I read a few pages, I kind of "hear" the characters talking in my head and totally understand them. Similarly, I now love Jane Austen, but would have hated her before my mid-20s.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:38 PM

Received notice that I had books to pick up at our local library, and was thinking that I would set aside Ann Patchett's "Patron Saint of Liars" (that I am not all that enthused about), for Tim Winton's "That Eye, the Sky" that was waiting for me. Then, I get there and find that Gillian Flynn's "Dark Places" was also waiting. There are 75 holds against the four copies, so I guess I will have to wait on starting Winton's and THEN go back to Patchett.

It seems ironic that I've waited so long for "Dark Places" and now it feels like a "Geez, I guess I HAVE to read this one."

Old 05-10-2013, 04:17 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,343,362 times
I am reading the Sherri Travis mystery series.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:52 PM

Well, I tried "Dark Places" and (for the second time with this author) decided I didn't like the character enough to spend the reading time with her. Sad beginnings, but I don't care what she gets herself into.

So, I picked up Tim Winton's "That Eye, the Sky" and find it enjoyable already after just a few pages. This is definitely more my type of read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books