Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 12:06 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

I've been having tests on my heart for the last two weeks and Thursday was the heart cath day. Major stuff. Everything looks good.

BUT, I've been unable to concentrate much on my reading, TV or watching movies. Even my hidden object games on the computer bother me. So, I decided to read some Agatha Christie that I have read in the past and can't remember who-done-it. There are several free ones for the kindle and I wandered over th G.K. Cheston books. I've never read them before. So, I now have several myseries that are calling me. They are not too long and hold my interest. Life is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 03:46 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,233 times
Took me three weeks (had to renew it again after two-week period) but I finished Cheryl Strayed's "Tiny Beautiful Things" (2012), and it was excellent.
Had never heard of her or her online advice column, this book is compilation of those-my aunt recommended it to me.
The author writes with such compassion, directness, and careful attention to her reader (those who wrote letters into the advice column).
It's the kind of book where one both relates to the foibles of the admittedly imperfect people (incl. the author)
and yet aspires to be more like the admirable (in how she words her thoughts and talks about feelings) giver-of-advice.
She doesn't so much give advice, anyway, as to flesh out the underlying issues
as well as try to clarify the mixed presentations of conflicted people (as portrayed in their missives to her).

In other book news, "Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal" by Mary Roach arrived at library & I picked it up Friday.
Was told there are 13 people waiting on it after me, so am glad I got my request in early so that I was first on the list.
Looking forward to devouring it (agh-a pun !) in short succession, esp. since I won't be able to renew it (if it takes me too long to complete), bc. of all the people who've reserved it after me.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
I am rereading the Great Gatsby. I think I will try to finish as I debate watching the movie.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:02 PM

289 posts, read 569,725 times
I am currently reading the newest Morganville Vampire book "Fall of Night". And I am halfway through the Eve Duncan book "Stalemate" by Iris Johansen. And then it's off to the last ever Sookie Stackhouse book "Dead Ever After". And then it's back to my Eve Duncan series with "Quicksand".

Old 05-13-2013, 01:13 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I've been having tests on my heart for the last two weeks and Thursday was the heart cath day. Major stuff. Everything looks good.

BUT, I've been unable to concentrate much on my reading, TV or watching movies. Even my hidden object games on the computer bother me. So, I decided to read some Agatha Christie that I have read in the past and can't remember who-done-it. There are several free ones for the kindle and I wandered over th G.K. Cheston books. I've never read them before. So, I now have several myseries that are calling me. They are not too long and hold my interest. Life is good.
Good to hear that your tests went well

As for crime books I always forget who-done-it
I will give my Patricia Cornwell books a new try once I'm finished with my current book. I also wanted to read the Henning Mankell series about Kurt Wallander again. I read them some years ago and really liked them so I have to re-read them.

I'm also very tempted to read the Outlander series again. I read them twice already but I see some lines of Diana Gabaldon's latest book in this series nearly every day on facebook and I find I'm missing the characters and the story already

However, I finished the Spa Decameron this weekend. It was quite interesting.

Now I'm more than halfway through "A Cold Season" by Allison Littlewood. Also a 0,99 $ Deal on amazon.
Very gripping even though it's style is rather simple.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:28 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
First things first- very happy to hear everything is good with Ketabcha.
I have been having the hardest time reading for about 6 months now (maybe more). I am reading really good books, but it just takes me forever. we will be doing a bit of a road trip so I am confident that I will

1- finish the Coffee Traders by David Liss which I started over a month ago. It is no reflection on the book because it really is very good, well written, intriguing story- all of that. I just hardly read lately. I am on page 260 ish od 380.

2-Read Parnassus on Wheels which people suggested on here (and raved about- and it's a wee little book

3-hope to read Supremes at Earl's all you can eat. i spotted it I think on good reads, reserved it at the library to find that there were many before me- and lo and behold I have it now. looks great as well.

Well realistically, I honestly intend to finish coffee traders, and ...

Old 05-13-2013, 01:06 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
First things first- very happy to hear everything is good with Ketabcha.
I have been having the hardest time reading for about 6 months now (maybe more). I am reading really good books, but it just takes me forever. we will be doing a bit of a road trip so I am confident that I will

1- finish the Coffee Traders by David Liss which I started over a month ago. It is no reflection on the book because it really is very good, well written, intriguing story- all of that. I just hardly read lately. I am on page 260 ish od 380.

2-Read Parnassus on Wheels which people suggested on here (and raved about- and it's a wee little book

3-hope to read Supremes at Earl's all you can eat. i spotted it I think on good reads, reserved it at the library to find that there were many before me- and lo and behold I have it now. looks great as well.

Well realistically, I honestly intend to finish coffee traders, and ...
It hasn't been six months for me but maybe since about January. I think I'm mentally drained from a terrible winter. I completely lost my sense of humour when the temperature in April never hit 5C until the end of the month. It was the coldest April ever, here.

Two years ago I came across Freda Warrington's Elfland and read it because it was there. And I was really taken with it - the style reminded me of the British writers I grew up with, in its attention to detail. And then I discovered that Elfland was part of a trilogy, with the last part of it coming out this April. I was really looking forward to it, thinking it would get me back in the reading mood but I am just not as taken with Grail of the Summer Stars. It might be me. It is probably me.

I feel I am struggling through each page. I should have zoomed through it in two, three days.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:08 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I just finished The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving: A Novel by Jonathan Evison.

Good book. The author has a very good sense of humor and there were a few lines of dialogue that made me laugh out loud. Essentially, though, it's a book about loss. Not death, necessarily, but loss. If you should happen to read it, read the Author's Notes section first (it was at the end of the Kindle version but I don't know where it would be in print). I had read it online (I don't know how I stumbled across it) and it made the book much more meaningful for me.

There's another book by this same author that I'd wanted to read. Now I really want to read it.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:05 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I just finished Tim Winton's "That Eye, The Sky" and though I cannot rave about it, it was a very good story. The young narrator was not as original as the one in "Incredibly Loud and Extremely Close" but still had a perspective that was refreshing.

Tomorrow, I will return back to "The Patron Saint of Liars" but I don't really have any enthusiasm for it. I'm at the 39% point and am totally ready for it to be done.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:21 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I went to my (new) local library today to become a member. If you're a resident of this town, it's $5. Otherwise it's $175. Ha! My gosh...

Anyway, there was a bunch of older books that I'd wanted to read that were not available as e-books when I lived in CT and MA, and my new library (it's an INCREDIBLE library... and it's literally right next door to my new home; I could throw my books from my balcony to return them) had them all in paper. So, I got 'em:

Summer Crossing by Truman Capote
Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman
All About Lulu by Jonathan Evison (who wrote the one that I just finished, The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving)
The Jew Store by Stella Suberman (non-fiction)

I'm going to start with Summer Crossing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books