Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 01:15 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I went to my (new) local library today to become a member. If you're a resident of this town, it's $5. Otherwise it's $175. Ha! My gosh...

Anyway, there was a bunch of older books that I'd wanted to read that were not available as e-books when I lived in CT and MA, and my new library (it's an INCREDIBLE library... and it's literally right next door to my new home; I could throw my books from my balcony to return them) had them all in paper. So, I got 'em:

That is hilarious!! Also what a big difference between residency and nonresidency for membership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 02:12 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Has anyone read (or started) Edward Rutherfurd's new book, Paris? The NYT gave it an okay, but not stellar review. I thought the reviewer was a bit nitpicky.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:26 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Has anyone read (or started) Edward Rutherfurd's new book, Paris? The NYT gave it an okay, but not stellar review. I thought the reviewer was a bit nitpicky.
Oh! I have it but haven't even thought about starting it yet. I was hoping that someone (YOU!?! ) would tell us whether it was any good.

ETA: The reviews on Amazon so far have been very, very good.
ETA2: Based on the reviews that I read (on Amazon and Goodreads), one of the reasons why I've been hesitant to start it is that it's not a linear story (like his New York was) -- it jumps back and forth in time which, for me, can be very frustrating.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:39 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
The Jew Store by Stella Suberman (non-fiction)
Oh goody, goody, goody. I just bought it. I hope it is as good as Patty Friedmann's Too Jewish.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Oh goody, goody, goody. I just bought it. I hope it is as good as Patty Friedmann's Too Jewish.
I'm guessing this is going to be better, especially because it's non-fiction. I didn't finish Too Jewish -- the tone of it bothered me, for some reason.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:55 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
I'm guessing this is going to be better, especially because it's non-fiction. I didn't finish Too Jewish -- the tone of it bothered me, for some reason.
But, Dawn, Too Jewish is non-fiction. I loved that book. Perhaps some of that is due to the fact that I find New Orleans history fascinating.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
But, Dawn, Too Jewish is non-fiction. I loved that book. Perhaps some of that is due to the fact that I find New Orleans history fascinating.
It's based on autobiographical information, but it's a novel. I don't have a problem with that at all; I just found her tone and her writing didn't work for me.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:18 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Obviously I will do anything not to keep reading "The Patron Saint of Liars" because while at the library to return books, I found myself browsing the stacks. (Why I just don't move on to one of the other books on the kindle I don't know.) Anyway, I picked up Rene Gutteridge's "Ghost Writer."

I think I am growing weary of stories, actually, but this did look somewhat interesting. Meanwhile, I think I am going to start checking out books on German immigrants. Does any have any recommends? I am most interested in those from the last half of the 19th century.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:47 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Oh! I have it but haven't even thought about starting it yet. I was hoping that someone (YOU!?! ) would tell us whether it was any good.

ETA: The reviews on Amazon so far have been very, very good.
ETA2: Based on the reviews that I read (on Amazon and Goodreads), one of the reasons why I've been hesitant to start it is that it's not a linear story (like his New York was) -- it jumps back and forth in time which, for me, can be very frustrating.
I don't know where I read the so so review, but it wasn't the NYT. Now, it's driving me crazy cause I can't find it again. LOL

Old 05-14-2013, 05:42 PM

OKAY! SO!

I started and finished Summer Crossing by Truman Capote today. It was very short -- just over 120 pages. Um. What can I say? It was a good story, I enjoyed it, but... I understand why it was found among his papers, among his unfinished work. It was... unfinished.

I've already started on Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books