Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-14-2013, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
1,051 posts, read 2,298,113 times
Reputation: 1054

Advertisements

Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville. I was inspired to pick it up after reading a section of it for a class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2013, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Texas
15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Reputation: 62766
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
It's based on autobiographical information, but it's a novel. I don't have a problem with that at all; I just found her tone and her writing didn't work for me.
Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit. I would have bet good money that the book was totally non-fiction. I'm disappointed but I still enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2013, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm guessing this is going to be better, especially because it's non-fiction. I didn't finish Too Jewish -- the tone of it bothered me, for some reason.
Maybe it bothered you for the same reason Mennonite in a Little Black Dress bothered me - it was marketed as autobiographical, but when you are a Mennonite too you know how much is contorted for, I suppose, the sake of marketing it to people who will take it at face value, or as something typical of a Mennonite upbringing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2013, 10:30 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
Reputation: 7237
I finally decided to put down (or whatever the Kindle term for that action is) Winds of War and pick up my book club book. I passed on last month's book club book because I was reading Winds of War but given that I'm only 51% done (and believe me, that 1% that pushed me over the half way mark was celebrated!), I was afraid that I would miss another one of my Book Club selections if I couldn't acknowledge that this book is just not a "page turner" for me and I needed a break.

So I got to work on The Light Between Oceans for this month's book club and quickly remembered how fun reading can be! It isn't a perfect book and not even close to one of the best books ever, but it is moving along quickly and enjoyable and I'm not obsessively watching my progress in 1% increments.

I promise, someday I'll finish Winds of War, but right now, I need the thrill of a quick read!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 07:03 AM
 
Location: In my own personal Twilight zone
13,608 posts, read 5,384,743 times
Reputation: 30253
Either it's the books that are page Turners or reading on a kindle is quicker than in a real book ?!?!

However, I finished "A Cold Season" rather quickly. It was quite good up until the end. I wasn't very satisfied with the end

Now I've dipped into "The Cossack and the Cowboy" which I also got as kindle deal. Let's wait and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Maybe it bothered you for the same reason Mennonite in a Little Black Dress bothered me - it was marketed as autobiographical, but when you are a Mennonite too you know how much is contorted for, I suppose, the sake of marketing it to people who will take it at face value, or as something typical of a Mennonite upbringing.
It could definitely be that -- there are a few books that fall under that category for me. I don't remember well enough what turned me off this one. I do seem to remember, though, that either I couldn't figure out what time frame the author was referring to or didn't know WHO she was referring to. Something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Either it's the books that are page Turners or reading on a kindle is quicker than in a real book ?!?!
Reading on the Kindle is DEFINITELY quicker for me. I mentioned this in another thread, actually. For me, it's because you don't have to readjust your WHOLE BODY when you go from the left page to the right page, over and over again. You just click the button without adjusting your body position. It's also much easier to read in bed too, especially if you're like me and like to lie on your side -- with a paper book, the pillow is always in the way when you're reading the right-side page and lying on your left side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Texas
15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Reputation: 62766
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I finally decided to put down (or whatever the Kindle term for that action is) Winds of War and pick up my book club book. I passed on last month's book club book because I was reading Winds of War but given that I'm only 51% done (and believe me, that 1% that pushed me over the half way mark was celebrated!), I was afraid that I would miss another one of my Book Club selections if I couldn't acknowledge that this book is just not a "page turner" for me and I needed a break.

So I got to work on The Light Between Oceans for this month's book club and quickly remembered how fun reading can be! It isn't a perfect book and not even close to one of the best books ever, but it is moving along quickly and enjoyable and I'm not obsessively watching my progress in 1% increments.

I promise, someday I'll finish Winds of War, but right now, I need the thrill of a quick read!
There was only one thing that bothered me about Winds of War and War and Remembrance.
Rhoda. I wanted to punch Rhoda throughout both books. Polly Bergen played the role in the mini series and she nailed the character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
3,088 posts, read 5,352,895 times
Reputation: 1626
anybody else reading "Obsession" by Mika Brzezinski? I am finding it a bit dissapointing. . . .and more than a bit "unrealistic" for the average reader with food addiction problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Reputation: 27092
I think I must be in a book rut , I have not read anything since the amanda knox memior . thanks guys .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 03:05 PM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
238 posts, read 315,565 times
Reputation: 299
Reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett...the movie was good, but the book is more detailed...same thing goes for "Prince of Tides" by Pat Conroy-now there's a movie that DID NOT do the book justice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top