Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 04:21 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliefrijole71 View Post
Reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett...the movie was good, but the book is more detailed...same thing goes for "Prince of Tides" by Pat Conroy-now there's a movie that DID NOT do the book justice!
Reminds me of the movie adaptations of Jonathan Safran Foer's books. Both Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and Everything is Illuminated don't capture the beauty present in the book.

They also in both cases cut out my favorite part of the book. The flashbacks to Dresden in Extremely Loud's case, and the flashbacks to Trachimbrod in Everything is Illuminated.

I know you don't have time for everything when adapting a book for the screen, but that's like half the plot in each case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 05:00 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joliefrijole71 View Post
Reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett...the movie was good, but the book is more detailed...same thing goes for "Prince of Tides" by Pat Conroy-now there's a movie that DID NOT do the book justice!
The Prince of Tides movie dealt with a small part of the book. I think they did a great job with the movie. However, it's like Michener's Hawaii. The book was huge and covered a very long period of time and cultural changes in Hawaii. The movie was about only a small portion of the book but it was a good movie.

Michener and Conroy are two of my favorite authors.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:31 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Morning Journey by James Hilton
Finished this one last night. To be honest I wasn't terribly impressed.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:00 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
But, Dawn, Too Jewish is non-fiction. I loved that book. Perhaps some of that is due to the fact that I find New Orleans history fascinating.
So do I and yesterday downloaded to my Kindle for free from Amazon The Last Madam, A Life in the New Orleans Underworld, by Christine Wiltz. The story of Norma Wallce, real life madam in New Orleans.

Received good reviews on Amazon and heck with a free download even if I do not like it , I'm not losing...

Old 05-16-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
So do I and yesterday downloaded to my Kindle for free from Amazon The Last Madam, A Life in the New Orleans Underworld, by Christine Wiltz. The story of Norma Wallce, real life madam in New Orleans.

Received good reviews on Amazon and heck with a free download even if I do not like it , I'm not losing...
I'm going to fetch it right now, njkate. Thanks for telling us about it. Yippee!!!

Old 05-16-2013, 12:11 PM

13,402 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm going to fetch it right now, njkate. Thanks for telling us about it. Yippee!!!
Oh Good!!! Hope they are still offering it for free

Old 05-16-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Oh Good!!! Hope they are still offering it for free
My best friend from college days was born and raised in NOLA. I wrote her about the book and she found the restaurant (on the street by the same name). Now she is all excited about the book. See what you have done?
Be proud of yourself for sharing the book with others.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:39 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Just finished one called Wheat Belly, where a cardiologist explains the destructive nature of eating modern wheat - and what to do about it.

Keywords: Celiac Diabetes Obesity
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:25 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
OKAY! SO!

I started and finished Summer Crossing by Truman Capote today. It was very short -- just over 120 pages. Um. What can I say? It was a good story, I enjoyed it, but... I understand why it was found among his papers, among his unfinished work. It was... unfinished.

I've already started on Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman.
Happy Birthday to Dawn On Monday Happy Birthday !! Happy Birthday to you !!!!

Old 05-17-2013, 12:36 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Happy Birthday to Dawn On Monday Happy Birthday !! Happy Birthday to you !!!!
Oh my gosh, how did you know???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books