Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 06:30 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,779 times

Advertisements

Just finished Myron Bolitar (so-so) and the Mickey Bolitar series (wow, am I not the target audience).

Now I'm on Martin Beck.

Next up...Aurora Teagarden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 07:13 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
Loved The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer.

Am enjoying a self-help/psychology type book with a lot of Zen teachings called Know Yourself, Forget Yourself.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:02 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I am reading Khalid Hosseini's new book And The Mountains Echoed.

This one is going to be stunning. It's beautifully written and I would expect nothing less from Hosseini who is an Afghan-American medical doctor who also has the soul of a poet and the ability to write great books. Plus, I'm becoming acquainted with some more of the culture of the country.

I just love this stuff.
On my list to download....

In reading a post by you a ways back it brought up one of my all time favorite book, Trinity by Leon Uris, that I would like to read again but alas no Kindle version yet..may just have to order the paperback...

Old 05-23-2013, 07:21 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
On my list to download....

In reading a post by you a ways back it brought up one of my all time favorite book, Trinity by Leon Uris, that I would like to read again but alas no Kindle version yet..may just have to order the paperback...
I have always been interested in what I call "The Three I's." Israel, Ireland, India. I read a lot of books about them. Trinity just flat out broke my heart but it touched me so deeply that I continue rereading it. Uris always got to the heart of me and he wrote books on several different subjects. I think Battle Cry, about our soldiers in WWII, was his first big seller and he just got better and better. I loved that guy. I really mourned when he died. The followup to Trinity is Redemption and it is a good book but not anywhere near as good as Trinity.

I'm so glad to hear that you like it as much as I do. Great writing.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:24 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
About 50 pages into Erin Morgenstern's "The Night Circus". Not my favorite genre (fantasyesque), but a pleasant enough read so far. Chosen after a long tedious search of library shelves where it seemed that I had already all the good books.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:14 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,367,511 times
Finished Gulp by Mary Roach in time for my library deadline, that's a relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by book excerpt
pg.115: “An intriguing double standard applies to your own saliva. As long as it stays in your own mouth, it’s benign, welcomed even, no more offensive than the water it tastes like. Outside your mouth, it’s almost as vile and contemptible as a stranger’s.”
Quote:
pg.116: “We are large, mobile vessels of the very substances we find most repulsive. Provided they stay within the boundaries of the self, we feel no disgust.”
Quote:
pg.117: “The boundaries of the self are routinely extended to include the bodily substances of those we love.”
It was pretty good.
First half was less interesting, just bc. I've read plenty about how eating works-
it was the digestion (and processes beyond that) stuff that more got my attention,
as that is less discussed (perhaps due to the ick factor, aka disgust).

Old 05-23-2013, 02:50 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I just started The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud. I've loved her other books and, after reading just a few pages of this one, I know I'll love (or at least like) this one too -- the woman just writes magically.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:36 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I'm halfway through Khalid Hosseini's And the Mountains Echoed and as expected it is breaking my heart. But I push on because I can't put it down. It is a beautiful book just like The Kite Runner was.

His characters are always so fully fleshed out and the plot is running over the top of the chai cup.
He has outdone himself with this one. It is gorgeous even through tears.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:31 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
K' and Dawn, I am swimming in envy that you two find so many great books. It seems like I keep picking up duds... until coming across Wallace Stegner's "All the Little Live Things," which I am 40% into and absolutely loving. This guy wastes no words, and my emotional responses follow the narrator's like crosswinds buffeting a flag. I feel his pettiness and his magnanimity.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:37 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
K' and Dawn, I am swimming in envy that you two find so many great books. It seems like I keep picking up duds... until coming across Wallace Stegner's "All the Little Live Things," which I am 40% into and absolutely loving. This guy wastes no words, and my emotional responses follow the narrator's like crosswinds buffeting a flag. I feel his pettiness and his magnanimity.
See if your library has this book: Call Me by Your Name by Andre Aciman. I can't get it out of my head, it's so beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books