Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-26-2013, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Reputation: 28903

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I understand that the ending is a bit of a twisty, unexpected thing. I came close to downloading it but decided not to and I'm not sure why. I think it's because of Hosseini's book and I needed a breather before reading about the same subject (sorta') matter for a while. So I started a bio of Hitchcock that is remarkedly good. I don't know if I will stick with it but his childhood was great fun.
Funny, that's why I'm thinking of hanging in -- because some people said the ending was good. I might as well. I'm already this far invested and, if there's a good ending, I'll always wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2013, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Texas
15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Reputation: 62766
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Funny, that's why I'm thinking of hanging in -- because some people said the ending was good. I might as well. I'm already this far invested and, if there's a good ending, I'll always wonder.
Yes, please hang in there, Dawn. Then you can tell us if it is worth the read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Chicago- Hyde Park
4,079 posts, read 10,392,514 times
Reputation: 2658
The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Toronto
2,801 posts, read 3,857,845 times
Reputation: 3154
Right now I'm reading four books simultaneously:

Blindness, by Jose Saramago
Requiem For a Dream, by Hubert Selby Jr.
Short Stories, by Chekhov
Cancer Ward, by Alexander Solzhenitsyn

I'm enjoying all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Right now I'm reading four books simultaneously:

Blindness, by Jose Saramago
Requiem For a Dream, by Hubert Selby Jr.
Short Stories, by Chekhov
Cancer Ward, by Alexander Solzhenitsyn

I'm enjoying all of them.
I don't know you do it. I can't keep track of anything or anybody when I read more than one book at a time. I'd have Sara in the cancer ward with all the Russian men...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 12:12 PM
 
13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Reputation: 37885
The Inishkea Journals: Francoise Henry in Co. Mayo, Janet T. Marquart, editor. Henry was an archeologist and art historian who wrote some of the best books on Irish early medieval art. I read those books many years ago and enjoyed them very much. I initially thought this book would be a collection of her field notes from one of her digs, and decided it might be interesting. However, it turns out that these are personal - not technical - notes from several digs on Inishkea; and they are delightful. Though she taught in Dublin, she was French, a female, a "city slicker" and this put her at quite a remove from her Irish - and often Irish-speaking - workers in an area where life was being lived as much in the 19th century as the 20th century. She was up to it, though, and her interactions (often convoluted) with the local people are largely humorous and sometimes feisty. Henry's casual descriptions of the changing sea, the weather, landscape and wildlife though sketchy are beautiful impressionistic word paintings. It is a short book, 147 pages and I was sorry to have it end. For anyone interested in Ireland, or who has spent time (as I did many years ago) in Belmullet, Co. Mayo it is an unexpected treasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Windham County, VT
10,855 posts, read 6,368,927 times
Reputation: 22048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Right now I am liking "Tree Tops" A family memoir by Susan Cheever, John Cheever's daughter. This one is about her mother's side of the family. So far I like it alot.
Read & enjoyed Susan Cheever's 2008 memoir "Desire: Where Sex and Addiction Meet".
Really liked her "writer's voice", which was analytical yet reflective, and for me, relate-able.
Quote:
Originally Posted by book excerpt
pg.144: "I can write that as the child of a respected and adventurous writer I was taken to Rome, where I played in the Roman Forum,
and that I took tennis lessons on Nantucket and summered in New Hampshire,
or I can say that my parents were miserable partly because my father was a closeted gay alcoholic and that he sometimes took it out on me.
Both are true."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
30,509 posts, read 16,209,926 times
Reputation: 44389
Mutant Message Down Under by Marlo Morgan

American woman goes for a 3 month walkabout with a tribe of Aborigines. I didn't think I'd like it but learning things I never knew I didn't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
4,040 posts, read 2,907,737 times
Reputation: 38778
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The Inishkea Journals: Francoise Henry in Co. Mayo, Janet T. Marquart, editor. Henry was an archeologist and art historian who wrote some of the best books on Irish early medieval art. I read those books many years ago and enjoyed them very much. I initially thought this book would be a collection of her field notes from one of her digs, and decided it might be interesting. However, it turns out that these are personal - not technical - notes from several digs on Inishkea; and they are delightful. Though she taught in Dublin, she was French, a female, a "city slicker" and this put her at quite a remove from her Irish - and often Irish-speaking - workers in an area where life was being lived as much in the 19th century as the 20th century. She was up to it, though, and her interactions (often convoluted) with the local people are largely humorous and sometimes feisty. Henry's casual descriptions of the changing sea, the weather, landscape and wildlife though sketchy are beautiful impressionistic word paintings. It is a short book, 147 pages and I was sorry to have it end. For anyone interested in Ireland, or who has spent time (as I did many years ago) in Belmullet, Co. Mayo it is an unexpected treasure.
Thanks for this thoughtful review. You have made me want to read a book that I might never have selected. I LOVE this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 05:50 PM
 
34,254 posts, read 20,533,523 times
Reputation: 36245
I am reading Jonathan Kellerman's Gone, but it is not catching my fancy. I have read at least 4 of his books and liked them all. I just can't seem to settle down long enough to get into it.

I am going to switch to James Patterson's Beach House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top