Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 08:20 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times

Advertisements

Just recently started The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh, which we're reading for my book club this month. So far I love the poetic writing style, and also enjoying the fact that it takes place in San Francisco... as a San Franciscan myself, I give her 100% marks on accuracy thus far (in terms of street names, directions, etc). Not sure about the plot, though, especially since I hate gardening & flowers - they make me sneeze, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 08:38 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I am reading Jonathan Kellerman's Gone, but it is not catching my fancy. I have read at least 4 of his books and liked them all. I just can't seem to settle down long enough to get into it.
Have you read any of his wife's books? Faye Kellerman. I actually like her books more than his and I like his a lot. If you are interested then I recommend The Ritual Bath as a good one to start with.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:48 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I recently started The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach. So far, so good - in fact, so really good. I'll hold our judgment until the end (and will wait for my usual book buzz to wear off before I "review" it), but thus far, I'm sold.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:50 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
I just finished "The Cowboy and The Cossack" which was a really good story about Cowboys coming to Russia to bring a herd of cows to Siberia. On their trip they are accompanied by cossacks to help them against the Russian politics or the Tartars. It shows how friendship can be built between two completely different cultures. I enjoyed it.

Now I'm 25% into Gardens of Water by Alan Drew:
"two families, and two faiths, in Turkey at the time of the cataclysm of 1999. It tells of Sinan, whose daughter, Irem, dreams of escaping the confines of her family and the duties of a devout Muslim woman. She sees in Dylan, an American boy and her upstairs neighbor, the enticing promise of another life. But then a massive earthquake forces Sinan and his family to live as refugees in their own country and leads to a dangerous intimacy with their American neighbors, as Irem and Dylan fall in love. When Sinan finds himself entangled in a series of increasingly dangerous decisions, he will be pushed toward a final betrayal that will change everyone’s lives forever"

So far it's really good! I can't believe that there are so many good books on the kindle daily deals I wouldn't have bought otherwise...

Old 05-27-2013, 04:49 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I finished The Woman Upstairs. Finally. Thank god. I'd had enough. Yes, there was an interesting bit right at the end but, had I known what that bit was, I wouldn't have persevered -- it wasn't worth it. I do not recommend this book. Claire Messed has written better stories than this one, and with better style.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:41 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,596 times
"Treetops" by Susan Cheever, the daughter of the late writer John Cheever. This is the second book of her's I have read. She does a great job of relating things about her family. This book is more about her mother's side of the family. Her great grandfather was "Watson" the man who helped Bell invent the telephone.. One of her grandfathers on her mother's side was a Dr. named Winternitz, who is credited in the 1930s and 40s of bringing Yale Medical school up to date. He was brilliant but not much of a family man. I love this kind of story as much of it took place in the geographic are I am familiar with, MA and NH. Now I seem to be encouraged to start reading some of John Cheever's books.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:48 AM

Okay, I have a million (only a slight exaggeration) books on-hand but I don't know what to read next. I've whittled it down to these. If you catch this post before I throw caution to the wind and start on one, cast your vote:

The Awakening (Kate Chopin)
The Paper Anniversary (Joan Wickersham)
Brain on Fire (Susannah Cahalan)
Under a Wing (Reeve Lindbergh)
Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls (David Sedaris)
Life After Life (Kate Atkinson)
Blue Genes (Christopher Lukas)
Monday Mornings (Sanjay Gupta)
Where'd You Go, Bernadette (Maria Semple)

Old 05-27-2013, 09:41 AM

74,112 posts, read 1,835,618 times
Running Blind by Lee Child, this is my 6th Jack Reacher book.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Okay, I have a million (only a slight exaggeration) books on-hand but I don't know what to read next. I've whittled it down to these. If you catch this post before I throw caution to the wind and start on one, cast your vote:

The Awakening (Kate Chopin)
The Paper Anniversary (Joan Wickersham)
Brain on Fire (Susannah Cahalan)
Under a Wing (Reeve Lindbergh)
Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls (David Sedaris)
Life After Life (Kate Atkinson)
Blue Genes (Christopher Lukas)
Monday Mornings (Sanjay Gupta)
Where'd You Go, Bernadette (Maria Semple)
You all have been no help!

I know that it's an American holiday today and you have better things to do than come to this forum, so I made the decision all by myself. So there!

I chose.........................

.................................................. ..............

.................................................. ..................................................

Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls by David Sedaris. I could go for his stories -- they're always hilarious -- and I don't have a lot of "sit down for X number of hours" time, so this will be perfect.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:30 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
You all have been no help!

I know that it's an American holiday today and you have better things to do than come to this forum, so I made the decision all by myself. So there!

I chose.........................

.................................................. ..............

.................................................. ..................................................

Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls by David Sedaris. I could go for his stories -- they're always hilarious -- and I don't have a lot of "sit down for X number of hours" time, so this will be perfect.
Gulp! I have never read any of the books you listed, Dawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books