Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2013, 02:31 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Gulp! I have never read any of the books you listed, Dawn.
But, but, but... you were one of the people who mentioned liking Brain On Fire, weren't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 02:43 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
But, but, but... you were one of the people who mentioned liking Brain On Fire, weren't you?
Oh. Is that on the list? ahahahahahahaha.
Yes, I liked that book a lot.
Wait a minute. Was this all a test?

Gimme' an "A" or there will be trouble.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Oh. Is that on the list? ahahahahahahaha.
Yes, I liked that book a lot.
Wait a minute. Was this all a test?

Gimme' an "A" or there will be trouble.
No! It wasn't a test!!! I think you ate too many hot dogs at a BBQ today and you're drunk on sulfates!

Old 05-27-2013, 03:42 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,251 times
I recently finished "Under A Wing" by Reeve Lindeberge (sp?)and highly recommend it. Now I must read "A Gift from the Sea" by her mother Anne

Old 05-27-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I recently finished "Under A Wing" by Reeve Lindeberge (sp?)and highly recommend it. Now I must read "A Gift from the Sea" by her mother Anne
YES! It was you who said that it was terrific... and why I got it. Thank you!

Old 05-27-2013, 04:37 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,251 times
I hope you enjoy it. Lately it seems this type of memoir or whatever it is called that I am reading right now. I have one going right now by Susan Cheever called "Tree Tops" you may want to check out. She has written quite a few and this one is about her mother's side of the family. I usually have about 3 books going at once depending what mood I am in that particular day. I do like well written historical fiction too. I especially enjoyed all Eugenia Prices books about the South in the pre Civil War era and during the war.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:40 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
Quote:
You all have been no help!
Sorry, Dawn!!! I've been busy being the Mother-of-the-High School Graduate!!!

And when I wasn't hosting a party or attending a party, I was feverishly turning the pages of The Art of Fielding!

I belatedly suggest Bernadette, Where are You? A deliciously crazy book!

Old 05-28-2013, 12:06 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,927 times
Quote:
Okay, I have a million (only a slight exaggeration) books on-hand but I don't know what to read next. I've whittled it down to these. If you catch this post before I throw caution to the wind and start on one, cast your vote:
Blue Genes (Christopher Lukas)
That's ^ the only one I've read-
it was a good story, but not the sort to make me rave about it or anything
(that's not intended as discouragement, it depends on what you hope to get out of the read).

Think you later mention the new David Sedaris book again: that sounds a good choice for stop-and-go reading, short outrageous yet subtle essays.
He was amusing when I saw him on Jon Stewart a week or two ago, doing press for the book.

Just finished perusing (since it's a reference book, I merely skimmed it) "OS X Mountain Lion (Mac) for Dummies" by Bob LeVitus.
Most was irrelevant to what I use computer for, but I did find a couple nifty things.
Next up: Temple Grandin's next book, "The Autistic Brain: Thinking Across the Spectrum" (2013).

Old 05-28-2013, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
That's ^ the only one I've read-
it was a good story, but not the sort to make me rave about it or anything
(that's not intended as discouragement, it depends on what you hope to get out of the read).

Think you later mention the new David Sedaris book again: that sounds a good choice for stop-and-go reading, short outrageous yet subtle essays.
He was amusing when I saw him on Jon Stewart a week or two ago, doing press for the book.
Thanks for the note on Blue Genes. I'll read it, but I won't expect god-knows-what from it now.

As for Mr. Sedaris, who I love tremendously, I read the first two stories in Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls, and I laughed out loud a few times already. The part that had me hysterical with laughter was the paragraph about only eating white food. Oh god, I need to read that paragraph again. He's just so perfect... and perfectly funny.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 AM

443 posts, read 564,767 times
I am alsmost finished Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay and what a thrill ride it is! Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books