Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 10:18 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Okay, I have a million (only a slight exaggeration) books on-hand but I don't know what to read next. I've whittled it down to these. If you catch this post before I throw caution to the wind and start on one, cast your vote:

The Awakening (Kate Chopin)
The Paper Anniversary (Joan Wickersham)
Brain on Fire (Susannah Cahalan)
Under a Wing (Reeve Lindbergh)
Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls (David Sedaris)
Life After Life (Kate Atkinson)
Blue Genes (Christopher Lukas)
Monday Mornings (Sanjay Gupta)
Where'd You Go, Bernadette (Maria Semple)
David Sedaris was on Jon Stewart last night and he made me lol. I immediately put his latest book on hold.
I'm about 100 pages into Paris. My only criticism echoes one of the reviews read. The discourse between fathers and sons in order to give us a history lesson is becoming repetitive. Example: Did you know...? The son answers and adds more info. I don't remember being bothered by Rutherford's approach when reading New York. I'm becoming a nitpicker. LOL
I've started Elizabeth Strout's new book, The Burgess Boys. I like it so far, but don't think it will measure up to Olive Kitteridge
I have The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat in hand but have not started.
For fun, I've started the first Game of Thrones book.
On Hold: Bad Pharma: how drug companies mislead doctors and harm patients and The Art of Friendship by Roger Horchow. My sister and I met Roger Horchow in Dallas. He joined us for dinner. We did not realize who the man was until I read The Tipping Point. He is one of the main subjects featured in Gladwell's book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 03:13 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Thanks for the note on Blue Genes. I'll read it, but I won't expect god-knows-what from it now.

As for Mr. Sedaris, who I love tremendously, I read the first two stories in Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls, and I laughed out loud a few times already. The part that had me hysterical with laughter was the paragraph about only eating white food. Oh god, I need to read that paragraph again. He's just so perfect... and perfectly funny.
Just read your list but that's what I was going to vote for! I saw the book yesterday at my favorite used book store but decided to wait and find it cheaper somewhere else. (Sorry to all the writers out there!)

I finally finished the Thurgood Marshall biography by Juan Williams. It was very good.

I started watching Mad Men on Netflix and between it and The Voice, I'm embarrassed to say I haven't been reading much at all. I'm almost caught up to the present on Mad Men so I'll get some reading time back.

I did start a reread of East of Eden last night, but not sure if I'm in the mood or not. Sort of like eating junk food can spoil your appetite for a good dinner, all the TV may have temporarily ruined me for a good book.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:47 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Exploding the Phone. Phil Lapsley. Great history of "phone phreaks" and related subversion of the phone system. Mainly high school and college students, many blind, using "blue boxes" and other devices to trick the system. They could make free long distance calls, expensive back then, set up conference calls and, their favorite trick, "stacking tandems," route calls through as many switches as possible so a call across the street could travel 5000 miles. Interestingly, Bell engineers insisted it was impossible to stack tandems. Some of his sources still wanted to remain anonymous decades after the fact.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:10 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I had to take a break from the Hitchcock biography. It's a good book but it is also a long book.

So I grabbed up a kindle special titled The Righteous by Michael Wallace. It's fiction and deals with a polygamous sect in Canada and Utah. This is a murder mystery. It's okay. Maybe a little better than okay. I just needed something to read that would not weigh me down. It was only 99¢. Can't beat that with a stick.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:51 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Just forced myself to finish The Last Madam, Life in the New Orleans Under World by Christine Wiltz.

Was the story of Norma Wallace a madam in New Orleans from about 1920 to the early 60's. While I do believe Norma led an interesting life that would be a facinating read it wasn't this book.

One of the most poorly written books I've ever read. Was like she took Norma's life, wrote it down on little pieces of paper, tossed them in the air and where they landed is how she wrote it.
At times I was so confused, didn't know what decade I was in or what husband Norma was on...

Hopefully one day I can find a well written book on Norma. Thank goodness this was a free download from Amazon and I didn't waste money on it just precious reading time

Old 05-30-2013, 05:56 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
I am currently reading The Boy in the Suitcase. I like it. It really drew me in from the beginning, but it is slow going thanks to this pesky thing called my job.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:58 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Sigh... I love Claire Messud, but I'm disappointed in The Woman Upstairs. I'm not crazy about the story. I'm not even loving how she's telling the story, and I typically enjoy her style. I'm 40% in, I have a great bunch of other books on hand (some of which you've spoken about on here, hence my having them now) but I kinda sorta want to see the Messud book through.
Well, as I see it, there's no reason why you cannot put it aside and read another, and then go back to it. (It's one of the joys of being single... you get to spend time with more than one! )

Even us old married women occasionally step out on a book. I am letting Wallace Stegner sit idle for awhile while I spend time with Greig Beck's "Black Mountain." I am sure Wallace is a better writer, but he's a bit stodgy and I am feeling like kicking up my heels with someone a bit more daring and adventurous.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:12 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Just forced myself to finish The Last Madam, Life in the New Orleans Under World by Christine Wiltz.

Was the story of Norma Wallace a madam in New Orleans from about 1920 to the early 60's. While I do believe Norma led an interesting life that would be a facinating read it wasn't this book.

One of the most poorly written books I've ever read. Was like she took Norma's life, wrote it down on little pieces of paper, tossed them in the air and where they landed is how she wrote it.
At times I was so confused, didn't know what decade I was in or what husband Norma was on...

Hopefully one day I can find a well written book on Norma. Thank goodness this was a free download from Amazon and I didn't waste money on it just precious reading time
The book was worthwhile to me only because I enjoyed reading about the history of New Orleans much more than Norma's history.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:30 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Well, as I see it, there's no reason why you cannot put it aside and read another, and then go back to it. (It's one of the joys of being single... you get to spend time with more than one! )

Even us old married women occasionally step out on a book. I am letting Wallace Stegner sit idle for awhile while I spend time with Greig Beck's "Black Mountain." I am sure Wallace is a better writer, but he's a bit stodgy and I am feeling like kicking up my heels with someone a bit more daring and adventurous.
Yeah, but I'm dating again! Divorce is not an excuse to toss commitment to the wind.

Actually, I finished it. I wanted to get to the shocking ending that reviewers talked about.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:07 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
Hey guys! I really miss discussing books with you all!

Lately I've been reading some good books.

The Brothers Karamazov, People have been telling me for years that I should read it (I'm into Russian history & lit). It IS really good, even though I've always appreciated Tolstoy to Dostoyevsky. I've been listening to it, but I had to return it...it's 3 weeks late after I've rechecked it! I'm on disc 22 of 28...I think when I get it again I'll listen to the first 10 or so discs again.

Lost in the Taiga by Vasily Peskov, a FASCINATING story of a family that retreats into Siberia to live as hermits for FOUR DECADES. Apparently they were somewhat celebrities when they were found & people learned their story.

I also read the first 2 books of Ender's Game, which I was planning not to like. I'm going to read the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books