Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-31-2013, 12:09 AM
 
Location: In my own personal Twilight zone
13,608 posts, read 5,375,424 times
Reputation: 30253

Advertisements

I finished "Gardens of Water" rather quickly. It was very good!

Now I'm a few percent into Tears of Rain which is actually more fiction than I usually like. Anyhow, I'm going to work through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2013, 05:30 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,384 posts, read 28,665,848 times
Reputation: 12025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
The book was worthwhile to me only because I enjoyed reading about the history of New Orleans much more than Norma's history.
Ketabcha:

Yes, it had a lot of New Orleans history, history I've read in other books and some new history I had never read....you didn't think her writing style was poor??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 06:08 AM
 
Location: Texas
15,893 posts, read 18,273,111 times
Reputation: 62766
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Ketabcha:

Yes, it had a lot of New Orleans history, history I've read in other books and some new history I had never read....you didn't think her writing style was poor??
I really didn't notice a poor writing style, njkate. I guess I missed it. I've been reading a lot of el cheapo prepper kindle books and I think I am immune to lousy writing, grammar and style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,384 posts, read 28,665,848 times
Reputation: 12025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I really didn't notice a poor writing style, njkate. I guess I missed it. I've been reading a lot of el cheapo prepper kindle books and I think I am immune to lousy writing, grammar and style.
That will do it..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 10:09 AM
 
11,113 posts, read 19,482,813 times
Reputation: 10174
Has anyone read "The Best of Me" by Nicholas Sparks? It's not available on Kindle yet, and I don't want to pay full price to read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,953,312 times
Reputation: 28902
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Has anyone read "The Best of Me" by Nicholas Sparks? It's not available on Kindle yet, and I don't want to pay full price to read it.
I haven't read it -- it's not my thing -- but I just looked on Amazon. It *is* available on Kindle.

Also: Check your library. They might have the Kindle version too, which means that you can download it while in your jammies AND for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Texas
15,893 posts, read 18,273,111 times
Reputation: 62766
Someone earlier recommended Under the Lake by Stuart Woods. I used to read all his books but have not recently. This one is fantastic. I'm so nervous about how this is going to unfold. I'm about halfway through it.

Thanks for mentioning it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
934 posts, read 1,124,837 times
Reputation: 1134
The Hornets Nest about the Revolutionary war by Jimmy Carter. Life of Pi. I started to read Life of Pi 10 years ago or so, but put it down and never finished it. After seeing the movie and being intrigued, I decided to try it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,953,312 times
Reputation: 28902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
Life of Pi. I started to read Life of Pi 10 years ago or so, but put it down and never finished it. After seeing the movie and being intrigued, I decided to try it again.
The book is much better than the movie. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2013, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,953,312 times
Reputation: 28902
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Has anyone read "The Best of Me" by Nicholas Sparks? It's not available on Kindle yet, and I don't want to pay full price to read it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I haven't read it -- it's not my thing -- but I just looked on Amazon. It *is* available on Kindle.

Also: Check your library. They might have the Kindle version too, which means that you can download it while in your jammies AND for free.
QC -- I just saw your rep comment. Look here, though. I don't understand why Amazon is saying that they don't have it. They do:


The Best of Me: Nicholas Sparks: Amazon.com: Kindle Store
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top