Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 07:57 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times

Advertisements

Oh my god! THANK YOU!!!!!!

I still don't think I'm going to love this book like her others, but who knows... She's proven me wrong before. I loved her short stories (a rarity for me to even LIKE short stories) and I liked her other novel very much.

Thank you again!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 09:42 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Finished Erin Morgenstern's "The Night Circus", which was basically disappointing, although at times had enough promise to keep me going. The story of the people in the book was OK, given their fantastic attributes, and I wasn't all that confused by jumping back and forth through non-linear chronology (which I didn't think was necessary), but at times it was terribly heavy on detailed descriptions of the scenery.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:57 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,344 times
I'm kinda going back and forth on a ton of books right now, since I haven't gotten anything to catch my attention.

I finished the Maze Runner series by James Dashnell. Big disappointment. I knew I didn't like the series from the first book, but I was hoping it would get better. Nope. Now I've got to get rid of the books.

I read Divergent by Veronica Roth. I really enjoyed it, but the ending felt a bit rushed. I will definitely pick up Insurgent, though.

I also read Starters by Lissa Price. LOVED it. Very original idea. Can't wait to check out Enders, though I don't think it comes out until October.

Read the second book in the Crossfire series. I think it might be better written than 50 Shades, but I don't enjoy it as much. I'll probably still check out the 3rd.

I might pick up Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn next. Or I may actually finish Neuromancer or one of the other 10 books I have started.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:00 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Haha! I started a book on my Kindle, thinking that I just wouldn't pick up my library hold if it came through. The book sucked so I'm right back to where I was before also.
I'm glad I have to work right now because I'm sure I'd find something to read that would mess with my library hold I'm next on the list for. The others I'm like waaaayyyy down the list, so if I ever get this one, I don't need to worry about any others for a while. I keep checking my email and refreshing just in case I'm missing the email from the library.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:59 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,221 times
The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff. Pretty good.

I am currently in Costa Rica on study abroad and it's a nice way to spend the time.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:47 PM

I'm reading King Perry by Edmond Manning, who is someone I know from Facebook. The book is completely not my type of thing, but he's a FANTASTIC writer and is funny as hell. (No, the book isn't funny -- HE'S funny.)

This is something that he wrote that just made me swoon. He has such graceful writing skills, I'm in awe.

The Best New York Sandwich | Edmond Manning

Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I decided to reread The Thornbirds by Colleen McCullough. I read it when it first came out years ago. I had forgotten how well written the book is and how the descriptions of the scenery took me there. The jewels in the crown are the characters. I am thoroughly enjoying it even though I know there is a lot of heartache coming soon.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:41 AM

King Perry, the book that I just told you about two posts above? The one that's completely not my type of story? It's FANTASTIC! I'm 50 pages in and I don't want to put it down but I don't want it to ever end.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:48 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
I have four books on the go at the moment, "Mark Twain's autobiography" into which I dip at leisure, "The New Jackals" by Simon Reeve ( fascinating and well written IMO), "The Woman who went to bed for a year" by Sue Townsend, "Cold Mountain" by Charles Frazier ( re-read for next month's book club) and I have just finished "The Reluctant Fundamentalist" by Mohsin Hamid which I liked ( very easy read) but did not love despite glowing reviews ( I also intend to see the film).

Old 06-05-2013, 01:29 PM

238 posts, read 315,565 times
Finished The Help loved it! Now I'm almost done with And Still We Rise by Miles Corwin. The subtitle encapsulates what the book is about: The Trials and Triumphs of Twelve Gifted Inner-City Students I'm rooting for all twelve to pass their English AP exam, graduate, and go onto their first choice colleges. I'm on page 301 of 403.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books