Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 08:50 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,314,970 times

Advertisements

Just finished The Round House by Louise Erdrich and wow what a book read...Loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 09:30 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
I just finished King Perry. I have no words, so I'll just leave you with the review that I wrote for Amazon:

Original. Beautiful. Perfect.

This is not the type of book that I’d typically read. Or EVER read. But I came across, in a convoluted way, something that Edmond Manning had written -- about the best sandwich in NYC -- and I loved his style. The story was funny and warm-hearted at the same time (“I laughed, I cried”) and the way he wrote it was… there’s no other word for it: yummy. And I’m not talking about the sandwich. It’s all about the way that he writes. Yummy.

Anyway, in my Googling of him to see if he’d written anything else aside from the sandwich story and other blog posts, I stumble upon, LO AND BEHOLD!, a book. A BOOK! Awesome. So I read the Amazon synopsis and… it’s not for me. It’s about two gay men (I can’t relate; I’m a straight woman and, although I have gay friends, I can’t connect to this story) and it sounds like it has elements (or more than just elements) of fantasy. Kings? What? I don’t “do” fantasy. Nope. I read a lot of memoirs. I read novels that are stories that could actually happen in real life. So, in a nutshell, I feel a huge disconnect with this book just from the description of it. But… there’s the sandwich story. I love his writing. I want more. So, I get the book. I get the book, but I don’t know when I’ll start reading it -- I don’t feel rushed. I don’t feel the rush.

But, while having a bite for lunch the next day, I start reading the first chapter. And… I feel the rush. A big, big, BIG rush. The writing. The characters. The story. I’m in. I’m into it. I’m there.

I read the book over the course of three days. I could have finished it in much less time but I savored it. I savored each and every word. I went back and read some sentences a few times because they were so good, such gems. And just as “I laughed, I cried” when reading the “sammich” story, I laughed (a lot! I love you, Vin!) and cried… and sobbed through the last 10 pages. It’s that good a story. It’s that beautiful a story.

Many books have sexual detail in them. It’s usually gratuitous and poorly written, so I skip it entirely. But, DAMN!, the sexual detail in King Perry… WHOA! There’s a lot of it and it’s very explicit, but it’s not at all gratuitous -- it’s 100% NECESSARY to the story -- and, oh Jesus, it’s erotic as hell. I’m a straight woman but… DAMN! (I learned stuff… hahaha!)

Is it an odd story? Yup. It sure is.
Is it a fabulous story? Oh, absolutely! It definitely is.

I read a lot of books. Some are bad and I bail on them, some are good, some are very good. There have also been a few that I thought were exquisite (there’s a word with an “x” in it for you, Vin) and beautiful and perfect -- this book is one of those.

I could say more but.. “not in front of the duck.”

Old 06-08-2013, 10:26 AM

Oh, and for anyone who's interested in reading King Perry, you should know that I've been stalking Edmond Manning. I knew him through Facebook because he was friends with someone I work with but I took the plunge and friended him for myself. Then I emailed him. (I have no self-control, do I?) Every once in a while as I was reading King Perry, he'd send me email asking what page I was on, we talked a bit about what was happening, and I'd fall in love with him a little bit more. (I know he's gay! Hush.)

Anyway, for those of you who want to read King Perry, I wanted you to know that it's the first in a series of six books called "The Lost and Founds." The next book will be out in about a month, but that one will actually be book 6, not book 2. There's a reason for this, as per Edmond. I trust him.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:33 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,476,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Just finished The Round House by Louise Erdrich and wow what a book read...Loved it.
I was captured by your post, so I looked this up on GoodReads, and found this discussion of it. You might like to add your comments -- or maybe you already have.

After what I read of it on GR, I THINK you might like to read this one (which I am listening to on audio, when I can): "Thunder Bay," by William Kent Krueger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just finished King Perry. I have no words, so I'll just leave you with the review that I wrote for Amazon .... I could say more but.. “not in front of the duck.”
Dawn, my life would be smaller and drier if I couldn't read your posts.

I am almost halfway into "The Healer" and though I cannot attest to the poetry of the prose that the reviews tout, I am hooked on the story's plot and setting. Not since TC Boyle's "Friend of the Earth" has the effects of global warming hit me so fiercely, and unlike TC's work, this one has a mystery included that has me wondering how it will turn out. It's a real challenge to decide whether to work on this knitting (that has a deadline), or read!

Old 06-08-2013, 01:05 PM

935 posts, read 805,152 times
David Sedaris' new collection of essays, Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Oh, and for anyone who's interested in reading King Perry, you should know that I've been stalking Edmond Manning. I knew him through Facebook because he was friends with someone I work with but I took the plunge and friended him for myself. Then I emailed him. (I have no self-control, do I?) Every once in a while as I was reading King Perry, he'd send me email asking what page I was on, we talked a bit about what was happening, and I'd fall in love with him a little bit more. (I know he's gay! Hush.)

Anyway, for those of you who want to read King Perry, I wanted you to know that it's the first in a series of six books called "The Lost and Founds." The next book will be out in about a month, but that one will actually be book 6, not book 2. There's a reason for this, as per Edmond. I trust him.
I think that I got this wrong. Just spoke with Edmond. They *are* coming out in order: Book 1 through 6. It's just some bonus reading that he gave me when I finished King Perry... and it relates to Book 6. The second book is called King Mai and will be out, hopefully, in July.

If I'm wrong (again) about this, I'll update. I gave myself a headache.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Dawn, my life would be smaller and drier if I couldn't read your posts.
Ditto.

xoxo

Old 06-08-2013, 08:17 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,325,016 times
I am reading a Linda Lael Miller book, no idea right now what it is called, but I'm sure I'll give it up soon. I just want whoever is currently reading my first library hold to finish reading so I can try that book (and then probably not enjoy it and dump it 10 pages in, but at least I won't be just waiting for it to be mine). I keep getting books from the library, starting and returning because I keep thinking "I'm going to get into this book and love it and then my library hold will finally be mine and then what do I do?" Oh the dilemmas readers have.

I have also checked out The Devil in the White City and one of the Lord John books by Diana Gabaldon - The Scottish Prisoner one.

Perhaps I should just watch the hockey game with the hubs.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:04 PM

I started reading Harvard Square by Andre Aciman. It's always hard for me to start a new book after I've finished something magnificent (in this case, King Perry) but I think, even aside from that, Harvard Square would have been a dud for me. It feels too abstract. There's no story, really (and I'm on page 70). It's just... philosophical and abstract and icky. I doubt that I'll continue with it.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 06-08-2013 at 09:28 PM..

Old 06-08-2013, 11:37 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,112,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I am about to start Escape from Camp 14 - One Man's Remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West. A friend read it with her book club and loaned it to me. Has anyone else read this?
I wasn't able to get this book, but one of my Book Clubs read it. I did go to the discussion, & it seems fascinating. I definitely want to read it.

Currently reading The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind. Set in Malawi, a boy who's dropped out of school educates himself from books, & ends up doing great things. A true story, it reads like a novel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books