Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 02:29 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

K and Tracy: It's not good.

//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...ed-smoker.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 02:45 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Oh my, I just read the whole Artie thread. But it sounds like he's going to be okay, Dawn. I was hyperventilating, rushing through the thread after you said "It's not good" but it sounds like he's doing okay.

Think of it this way, you have a flashing neon sign over your head saying "I worry so much about my pup that's I'll spend any amount of money necessary and do any tests you think might remotely help" and they DIDN'T want to admit him and keep him overnight. That's a good sign. The lungs sounded good, so it's not congestive heart failure or pneumonia.

He has a very "delicate constitution" by history, so it could have been any little thing that's affecting his digestive system.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Oh my, I just read the whole Artie thread. But it sounds like he's going to be okay, Dawn. I was hyperventilating, rushing through the thread after you said "It's not good" but it sounds like he's doing okay.

Think of it this way, you have a flashing neon sign over your head saying "I worry so much about my pup that's I'll spend any amount of money necessary and do any tests you think might remotely help" and they DIDN'T want to admit him and keep him overnight. That's a good sign. The lungs sounded good, so it's not congestive heart failure or pneumonia.

He has a very "delicate constitution" by history, so it could have been any little thing that's affecting his digestive system.
It's the heavy breathing -- and the gurgling sound when he's breathing heavily -- that's breaking my heart. Okay, no more. This is a book forum. I wrote to you on the dog forum. Sigh... My head hurts so much.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:22 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
I finished Matched last night so the next person in line didn't have to keep waiting for it. Now I'm sort of in limbo with what to read. I still have the Linda Lael Miller book on my Kindle which isn't due back to the library for another 8 days, but I'm also #1, #4, #4, #9, #11 and #74 on the hold list for my library holds, plus I think #16 for an actual hard copy of a book that the library doesn't have in eBook. My poor books I own, probably wondering if I love them anymore. I sure do! That's why they didn't go live with my mom when she visited last month. Good thing I'm going for a walk while my kids are VBS tonight so I have time to think on what to read next.

ETA: I should comment on Matched. I thought it was pretty good. I'll read the other 2 books in the trilogy. I think the author did a good job, although a couple of times I felt like she was really trying to say profound things, but they didn't come off that way to me. The story was good, albeit a little drawn out and it's only book 1. It definitely was better than Twilight in my opinion as far as writing style and such, but not a great book I would "hang onto" in case I ever wanted to read again. I can say if my daughters wanted to read it, I'd let them. At least this one....

Last edited by fromupthere; 06-19-2013 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: Because I wanted to

Old 06-19-2013, 02:26 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
It's the heavy breathing -- and the gurgling sound when he's breathing heavily -- that's breaking my heart. Okay, no more. This is a book forum. I wrote to you on the dog forum. Sigh... My head hurts so much.
I should probably go read the dog forum, but I have a child to go pick up. Hope Artie is doing better!!! Love him!!!!!! Hug him for me!

Old 06-19-2013, 02:30 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
It's really not a thread-derail.

Artie is a published author, after all!

Old 06-19-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
It's really not a thread-derail.

Artie is a published author, after all!
Bahahahahaha!!!! I really needed a laugh today. Thank you!

Old 06-19-2013, 09:36 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Carol Birch's "Jamrach's Menagerie" is a story in the old fashioned sense of the word. It is fanciful, adventuresome, terrifying, and hauntingly beautiful. This is the story Robert Louis Stevenson WISHES he wrote, but it is beyond anything RL might have imagined. I read that this is the first of her works to be published in the States. I hope the others soon follow because I have to read more of hers.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:58 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
This morning I started to read "A Room Full of Bones," a Ruth Galloway mystery by Elly Griffiths, who is apparently an English author judging by the word choices. A few pages into it and I could tell it wasn't for me. Even though I am trying hard to not be so critical, I just cannot stomach an author that spends a paragraph on what her protagonist is wearing. Maybe if she was a socialite, but the character is a forensic anthropologist -- and I cannot see how it could possibly matter in a mystery. Definitely a cozy, and I am not in the mood for a cozy.

So, I moved onto "Portrait Inside My Head : Essays," by Phillip Lopate. The prologue isn't promising. If his essays are as smug and full of self-adoration as his paragraphs on why he's publishing a book of essays on various topics, I won't make it past the first three selected. Not that I won't try....

Well, I may not try too hard.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:31 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,290 times
I'm not normally one to read more than one book at a time, but I'm currently reading two. The first is "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" which I started before I went on vacation last month and didn't want to lug around with me-and which I'm about finished with. This is my first time reading the series.

The second is Joanna Fluke's "Plum Pudding Murder," which I started on the flight home from vacation. The series is getting stale so I mostly read these out of habit now. My focus has been on "HP" though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books