Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 04:32 PM

243 posts, read 450,128 times

Advertisements

I started reading Dan Brown's Inferno, but I put it down to read Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls instead. It's a fantastic novel about the author's grandmother, a hard working woman in the SW United States.

I recently got this as a gift for my birthday, and I have to say that sometimes a book comes along at exactly the right time in your life. This is one of them for me; I needed a good read about a strong woman. I'm glad I have this one in print instead of on my Kindle, as it's turning into a favorite and I'll be wanting to keep it in my bookcase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 05:47 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,902,232 times
Im currently reading "The Yard" it is about scotland yard after Jack the ripper so far it seems pretty good ...I hope to come back and finish the review when I finish the book ..thankyou

Old 06-20-2013, 06:54 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,169,659 times
I'm reading The Astronaut Wives Club: A True Story by Lily Koppel.

I'm old enough to remember the late 50s and what was going on in the "race to space." We kept an eye on this because my father was an Air Force pilot and the Mercury and Gemini astronauts were a big deal among my family and friends on base.

The book has started off well and I hope it continues to be a good one. I will report back when I finish it.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 06-20-2013 at 07:55 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 07:00 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,800,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm reading The Astronaut Wives Club: A True Story by Lily Koppel.

I'm old enough to remember the late 50s and what was going on in the "race to space." We kept an eye on this because my father was an Air Force pilot and the Gemini astronauts were a big deal among my family and friends on base.

The book has started off well and I hope it continues to be a good one. I will report back when I finish it.
She'll be back within a couple of hours.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
She'll be back within a couple of hours.
ROFLMAO, Dawn.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:50 PM

122 posts, read 107,490 times
Look me in the eye: my life with asperger's.
I love it. He sounds so much like me in the things he does and the way he acts...Its written by John Elder Robison. I recommend it highly.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 PM

7,288 posts, read 5,414,769 times
I'm reading And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini. He also wrote The Kite Runner. He is a good storyteller and one of my favorite author's.
Last weekend I read The Fifth Wave By Richard Yancey. That was a good book too, page turner. It was kind of hunger games-ish I guess. The characters were children and teenagers surviving after an alien attack wipes out most of the worlds population.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:15 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,472,851 times
Okay, I decided (after one and a half essays of "Portrait Inside My Head : Essays," by Phillip Lopate, that I just am not in the mood to read essays -- especially those by old white men that think they've got it all figured out. (Lord, where the heck does THAT come from?? )

Self-discovery aside, I decided that with so many books on my Kindle -- including the languishing "All the Little Live Things," by Wallace Stegner -- that I might better send Lopate back for some other reader to enjoy and I will read the books I've already downloaded.

So, Wallace, it's me and you, again.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:12 PM

I finished Lily Koppel's The Astronaut Wives Club: A True Story.

I enjoyed the book. I have to say that there were a few little errors that bothered me. Usually they don't but I remember the 60s. She referred to the character Jose Jimenez as "Will Dana." Okay, that's not a big deal but his name is Bill Dana (he's still alive) and anyone who remembers the 60s remembers him. Also, referring to Yvette Mimeux as a "French starlette" is incorrect. She's American born and raised. Dad was French but mom was Mexican. Again, no big deal....or maybe it is just to me.

The Kindle edition is well edited for spelling and grammar.

The author's style is pleasant to read. There was a tiny bit of "not quite explaining something." I had to reread a few paragraphs to figure out who did what to whom. Yeah, I'm nitpicking.

Still, I do recommend the book. It sure brought back memories for me and I recalled why I liked John Glenn's wife, Annie, so much.

Oh, I learned that Friendswood outside of Houston got its name because it was settled by Quakers. Cool info.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 06-21-2013 at 02:37 PM..

Old 06-21-2013, 07:02 PM

220 posts, read 279,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I finished Lily Koppel's The Astronaut Wives Club: A True Story.

I enjoyed the book.
Thanks for the review! I am interested in this one and it's good to know you liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books