Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 10:48 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,869,073 times

Advertisements

Metro 2033 by Dmitri Glukhovsky. I haven't played the games as I don't play shooters but the book is quite good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 05:55 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,755,898 times
Rereading Swords Around A Throne, that brilliant dissection of the Napoleonic era French Army by an old soldier recounting as only old soldiers can the interesting and humor of military life. Reads like a novel due to the inclusion of numerous anecdotes form an era where individuality was the norm and eccentricity admired.

Ye poor devils reading fiction when the real world is just so much more interesting.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:47 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,894,301 times
I finished The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer two weeks ago and it was fab, just fab.

Then I read Too Bright to Hear Too Loud to See by Juliann Garey and that was also great.

Now I'm half way through Norwegian by Night by Derek Miller which I can't put down.

Is it possible to get three fantastic books in a row?? Can't remember the last time that happened....

Old 06-23-2013, 06:50 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
I forgot about The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls -- I literally forgot that I was reading it (so much else was going on) but I will get back to it next (or very soon) -- and started reading The Execution of Noa P. Singleton by Elizabeth Silver. (I guess there's a "silver" theme, at least.)

Anyway.

From the synopsis, I could tell it wasn't really my type of story. I don't know why I chose it. It's a very fast read (it's 320 pages, and I'm already 30% in after not many hours of reading) and it seems to have a Gillian Flynn kind of voice. Maybe it's because the main character, Noa, is a VERY strong female protagonist, she has a dry sense of humor, and she's a rough-and-tumble kind of gal. The story itself is actually something that I could see Gillian Flynn writing. The style is not up to Flynn's, but this is Silver's first novel, so I'll cut her slack on that. While I'm not loving the story, I am interested enough in knowing the "why" of it, so I'll keep on reading.

And thank you (again) to Obrero for the post above mine. Three more books to add to my never-ending, never getting smaller "to read" list.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:37 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,464,984 times
I'm rather disappointed with "The Girl with the Pearl Earring". Very blandly written, just a (mercifully) short series of S-V-O sentences in chronological order. Almost no literary devices at all. A fine book in it's own way, but it is not making me say Wow. I would call it a book of more historical and cultural value, than literary. I would never read anything else by Tracy Chevalier for pleasure, unless I had a burning desire to study the subject matter.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-23-2013 at 09:46 AM..

Old 06-23-2013, 11:32 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,476,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm rather disappointed with "The Girl with the Pearl Earring". Very blandly written, just a (mercifully) short series of S-V-O sentences in chronological order. Almost no literary devices at all. A fine book in it's own way, but it is not making me say Wow. I would call it a book of more historical and cultural value, than literary. I would never read anything else by Tracy Chevalier for pleasure, unless I had a burning desire to study the subject matter.
That's unfortunate, but it happens - right?

I listened to it on audiobook while traveling and enjoyed it, but I DO enjoy historical tidbits. It's the differences between us that allow us to be enriched by our relating.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:16 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,318,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilanarchist View Post
Look me in the eye: my life with asperger's.
I love it. He sounds so much like me in the things he does and the way he acts...Its written by John Elder Robison. I recommend it highly.
I read & liked that, as well as his more recent one:
"Be Different: Adventures of a Free-Range Aspergian", 2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by book excerpt
pg.151: "It took a lot of energy to be on guard every moment at school, but that's what I had to do.
I think the other kids sensed it after a while. I gave off a vibe. It said: this one is not good to eat.
Haven't read his newest book, though, about raising his son.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:27 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,318,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I'm reading Stephen Kings new book, Joyland. I'm about 3/4 into it, and I'm really struggling to finish it. It's incredibly boring to me, although his great storytelling is what keeps me reading. I tried to read the new book by his son, Joe Hill, NOS4A2, and couldn't finish it. His other son, Owen King also has a new book out, and it looks good. The name of it is Double Feature. Has anyone read these books? What did you think of them?
Haven't tried his sons' books, so can't say.

Am on the cusp of getting King's Joyland from library (placed a hold on it, but have to go pick it up),
so will have to wait a couple weeks before I can give feedback on it.

Generally have an easy time with his books, no matter how long or detailed-
I anticipate this will be similar, but one never knows...
sorry to hear it disappointed you-I hope it doesn't disappoint me.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:27 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
After finishing the book on the wives of the astronauts I decided to reread The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe and discovered it was not a reread at all. What I was remembering was the movie.

When Wolfe is on his feed, which is most of the time, his books are a totally joy to read. This one is really, really good. Unfortunately when the various 'nauts are speaking I see Dennis Quaid and the other actors in my mind's eye. That's why I like to read the book before seeing the movie.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:33 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,735,401 times
I just finished State of Wonder by Ann Patchett. I liked it very much, but wish it hadn't ended where it did. I wanted to keep reading!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books