Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times

Advertisements

I started The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls again. I'm really not happy about how Young Adult (or younger???) it sounds, but I feel the need to read it just because... well, I guess just because I enjoyed her previous books so much. Stupid reason, I know, but... whatever. At least it's a short and easy read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 AM

917 posts, read 2,004,741 times
Sugar Nation. I'm only a few pages in but it looks good so far.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
Mmmm. Now I want cookies.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:51 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I've been bouncing around from book to book in the last few days and it is driving me nuts.....I was borderline to begin with. I did, however, land on Leisureville: Adventures in America's Retirement Utopias by Andrew D. Blechman.

I read about it in the Retirement section of the forum. It is really interesting. I am viewing it through the eyes of the sociologist portion of my brain. It's nonfiction and tells about the first retirement community for seniors back in 1950 in Arizona and brings it up to today. I had not heard of The Villages in Florida. This community is HUGE. It covers 3 counties. Amazing. I don't think I could afford to live there but is seems to be a dream spot of active 55+ers. Plus, I don't care much for HOA's. In fact, it is too active for my taste. I prefer to sit around like a lump on a log and read. No golf for me. There are over 1000 various clubs one can join including basket weaving. I'm a bit too solitary for all of that but I do enjoy reading about it.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 06-25-2013 at 12:08 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 03:14 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,129,570 times
Kebatcha, I also read Leisureville. I enjoyed it, even though I felt the author was a little snarky. He wasn't just a detached reporter---who was someone who wanted to expose the good, bad, and ugly of The Villages, with an emphasis on the latter two.

I'm enjoying The Good House by Ann Leary. In some ways, it's a bit like The Woman Upstairs, where a woman (in this case, an alcoholic older real estate agent in Massachusetts) develops an interest in a younger, very wealthy female newcomer, who has some secrets....Definitely not written as exquisitely as The Woman Upstairs, but well-written, with some funny, sardonic insights.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:21 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
If you learn why Chicken of the Sea has elected to put brown sugar in their salmon packets, please let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I've been bouncing around from book to book in the last few days and it is driving me nuts.....I was borderline to begin with. I did, however, land on Leisureville: Adventures in America's Retirement Utopias by Andrew D. Blechman. ...
I had not heard of The Villages in Florida. ...
I'm a bit too solitary for all of that but I do enjoy reading about it.
You could start a reading club... or wait, would that be a library?

I looked over the two pages of books I have left of those I transferred to the Kindle last night, and decided to start "Belonging Here," which I erroneously thought was fiction, but turns out to be self-help. I figured I would just read enough to see what weird angle it was covering -- and was amazed to find her describing me growing up as if she'd been watching. Very spooky. Now, I figure I have to read it, but it will be a fill in -- yes, I've decided to read it and a fiction. Now I just have to decide which of the fictions.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I started The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls again. I'm really not happy about how Young Adult (or younger???) it sounds, but I feel the need to read it just because... well, I guess just because I enjoyed her previous books so much. Stupid reason, I know, but... whatever. At least it's a short and easy read.
I'm on page 33 (Chapter 5) and I really don't think that I can take it anymore.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:30 PM

7,364 posts, read 5,478,782 times
Ken Folllett's second book, Winter of the World. It's going to take me awhile to read, it's a long book!

Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 PM

55 posts, read 58,302 times
I am currently reading 'The Twelve Tribes of Hattie' by Ayana Mathis.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:41 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Kebatcha, I also read Leisureville. I enjoyed it, even though I felt the author was a little snarky. He wasn't just a detached reporter---who was someone who wanted to expose the good, bad, and ugly of The Villages, with an emphasis on the latter two.
Good word choice, jazzcat22. He is snarky. He's just a young whipper-snapper and does not understand the draw that communities like The Villages have.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 06-26-2013 at 01:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books