Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 06:11 AM

55 posts, read 58,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I finally finished The Twelve Tribes of Hattie.

It didn't take like, uh, three weeks for me to finish it ONLY because I didn't like it. I've been busy with stuff. But it certainly didn't help that I didn't enjoy it. Why did I keep reading it, you ask? The choppiness -- something that I would ordinarily detest and make me throw in the towel -- worked for me this time because my available time was irregular at best. I can't even say that I'm happy that I read it -- I can only say that I'm happy that it's over.

My time is still jerky and will be until midI-April, but I'm going to start on something else soon. I just haven't decided what. Probably something short... like me and my attention span.
I just finished reading The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis. I felt the same way as DawnMTL, but I had to finish it hoping for some kind of happiness in the end. But no it was rather depressing. Now I must find something a little more uplifting...I know I will try reading Stephen King's Joyland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 06:25 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenroberts1970 View Post
I just finished reading The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis. I felt the same way as DawnMTL, but I had to finish it hoping for some kind of happiness in the end. But no it was rather depressing. Now I must find something a little more uplifting...I know I will try reading Stephen King's Joyland.
Oh my gosh, I could have sworn that I never bothered to finish it! Ha!

Old 06-29-2013, 06:52 AM

536 posts, read 829,827 times
The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman

Old 06-29-2013, 09:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Michael Ondaatje's "In the Skin of a Lion" is a wonderful book, packed tight with sensitivity and beauty and depth of philosophical thought. Disappointingly short, I wish it would go on much longer. In a way, it does, as he introduces a couple of characters who show up later in "The English Patient".

There is actually a lovely "trailer" for the book, created by a high school student, that very nicely captures the sense and feeling of the novel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_svB22js2cY

Edit: I think Wartrace (in the next post below) could learn quite a lot new from this book. I did.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-29-2013 at 10:19 AM..

Old 06-29-2013, 10:07 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
As much as I enjoy fiction books I have decided to read non-fiction technical books from now on. Unless I can learn something new from a book I am wasting my time.

I am currently reading Option volatility & Pricing by Sheldon Natenberg.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:22 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
The New Jim Crow. It is depressing already and I am I only a dozen pages in. I can't help to think about my cousin who went to jail for statutory rape when he was in college. Because he at 19 had a relationship with the dean's 17 year old daughter. An how this changed his trajectory. (Prior to this his worst offense was being a teenage womanizer, hardly a crime)

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:52 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
As much as I enjoy fiction books I have decided to read non-fiction technical books from now on. Unless I can learn something new from a book I am wasting my time.

I am currently reading Option volatility & Pricing by Sheldon Natenberg.
I used to feel that way, but then I realized that a well-written story involves its reader with perspectives towards events, and the relative emotions that result in a way that is richly rewarding and enlightening -- but maybe that is just me.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:39 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You know the light between oceans was crap to me .
Not sure that I'd put The Light Between Oceans on my crap list, but I read it quickly and then was annoyed with it for days. Pansy-a@# characters who repeatedly make unrealistic and stupid decisions.

OK - maybe it belongs on the crap list.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:59 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
"The Fufkin Diaries" -- Adorable!!!

Old 06-29-2013, 07:32 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Not sure that I'd put The Light Between Oceans on my crap list, but I read it quickly and then was annoyed with it for days. Pansy-a@# characters who repeatedly make unrealistic and stupid decisions.

OK - maybe it belongs on the crap list.
LOL ...I knew you would agree with me once you started to think about it ....:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books