Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 06:14 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You starting a spat ? I dont believe it . I am in awe LOL .....
I didn't *start* it! I jumped in to back up the OP who was floundering (and he was in the right, so it was my *duty* to help him). And, uh, I was "in a mood" so the timing was right.

You know that I'm a cool chick. You see that on FB. I'm all about the fun and giggles. But "in a mood" trumps all sometimes. It's a rarity, so I have to give into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 06:15 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
I am still reading Koontz's "77 Shadow Street," and listening to Dillard's "The Living," and though the writing is good enough, both have me hesitant to continue. Koontz's is so absurd that though it IS creepy, it isn't really all that scary. (I find myself thinking of Terry Prachett's Discworld series -- which is more absurd, and FUNNY, unlike Koontz's which is just absurd. )

Dillard takes every happy story line in hers, and dashes it to the rocks with unspeakable tragedy -- or tragedies. I suspect that woman would NOT be fun to talk to at a party!

My stronger inclination is to just plod through and hope for the best, but my resolve weakens with each chapter so I don't know.... more later.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:33 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Ps. Another suggestion...some people laugh but it's worth it...check out Oprah's list of books, she recommends some awesome novels!!
It is a good suggestion for book ideas, but for some reason, I have never really liked any of the Oprah recommended books. I think I like to read books that are happy and light, and hers seem to bog me down. Sometimes, I like books that I can chew on a little, like Pat Conroy, but usually I just want to escape into fluff.

Dorothea Benton Frank books are the sort I like.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:06 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
LOL! Nah, I'm just in a completely foul mood today. (You should see the spat that I have going on over on the dog forum! I am FIERCE today and it's not even a thread that I started!) Nothing is making me happy. The Hosseini book is keeping my temper at bay, though.
Dawn

How are you liking it so far? I've read mixed reviews on this book

Old 07-02-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Dawn

How are you liking it so far? I've read mixed reviews on this book
It's fabulous, Kate. Really, really terrific. I'm on page 160 or so and I already don't want it to end.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:23 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I wanted to hurry through Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver to get to King Perry, but I decided to slow down and enjoy it. I'm about 75 pages in and really liking it. I know The Lacuna didn't get great reviews and I haven't read it yet, but IMO this is Barbara Kingsolver at her best.

Don't worry Dawn--I'll get to King Perry soon enough!

Old 07-02-2013, 08:26 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It is a good suggestion for book ideas, but for some reason, I have never really liked any of the Oprah recommended books. I think I like to read books that are happy and light, and hers seem to bog me down. Sometimes, I like books that I can chew on a little, like Pat Conroy, but usually I just want to escape into fluff.

Dorothea Benton Frank books are the sort I like.
I have enjoyed some Oprah books, but I agree that she tends toward incest and dying kids. I'm always a bit cautious when I'm considering something she's recommended because they can be oppresive.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:54 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
It's fabulous, Kate. Really, really terrific. I'm on page 160 or so and I already don't want it to end.
TY..Will have to download to the Kindle...currently rereading Trinity by Leon Uris and just read HBO On Demand will be rerunning The Sopranos in order starting Monday so need to save some time for that

Last edited by njkate; 07-02-2013 at 10:13 AM..

Old 07-02-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I wanted to hurry through Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver to get to King Perry, but I decided to slow down and enjoy it. I'm about 75 pages in and really liking it. I know The Lacuna didn't get great reviews and I haven't read it yet, but IMO this is Barbara Kingsolver at her best.

Don't worry Dawn--I'll get to King Perry soon enough!
All good, sweets. All good.

Enjoy what you're reading -- I know how important that is. Truly.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:38 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
I didn't *start* it! I jumped in to back up the OP who was floundering (and he was in the right, so it was my *duty* to help him). And, uh, I was "in a mood" so the timing was right.

You know that I'm a cool chick. You see that on FB. I'm all about the fun and giggles. But "in a mood" trumps all sometimes. It's a rarity, so I have to give into it.
Awe okay now i understand and yeah they closed the thread btw ....LOL thanks for the laughs .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books