Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 06:15 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I had never heard of him until a friend on FB posted a review of this. Bought it on Amazon for my Kindle. Finished it in 3 days even though I was busy. Looking at others of his. His first books seem to be for older kids.
Yes, I noticed that he's got several listed that are geared to a younger set -- I reserved a few of each to sample.

After all, I am younger minded!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 06:20 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just finished In the After by Demitria Lunetta. I got it because of Gizmo's recommendation.
I'm certainly glad I did. It's a good book even if it is YA. It's dystopian, well written with believable characters and an exciting plot.

I really hated to finish it. I think she has set it up for a follow up book. Oh Goody!

After reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy, which I hated, I swore I would never again read a post apocalyptic book. Then a few years ago on recomendations in this forum I read The Wall by Marlen Haushofer and loved it.

So took Gizmo and Ketabcha's recomendation yesterday and down loaded In The After by Demitria Lunetta..dam near burned dinner last night I was so absorbed in it while cooking!! Have not finished yet .....hoping there is a follow up book as it is really good...

Last edited by njkate; 08-06-2013 at 07:04 AM..

Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 AM

498 posts, read 977,402 times
I've been reading the entire Wheel of Time series front to back for the last 2-3 months (I don't have a whole lot of free time to read). I just started book 10 night before last.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:59 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
I really liked that book. The second one is good, too. Hopefully the third finishes it off well. I've had uneven luck with YA dystopia recently.
I finished Divergent and liked it enough to download Insurgent. The overall story is interesting but some of the plot transitions are awkward and clunky. And I know it's YA fiction, but at times it reads a bit like a romance. But I'll keep reading and will probably read the last one when it comes out too.

In the After is definitely on my list now. Thanks, peeps.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:17 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

After reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy, which I hated, I swore I would never again read a post apocalyptic book. Then a few years ago on recomendations in this forum I read The Wall by Marlen Haushofer and loved it.

So took Gizmo and Ketabcha's recomendation yesterday and down loaded In The After by Demitria Lunetta..dam near burned dinner last night I was so absorbed in it while cooking!! Have not finished yet .....hoping there is a follow up book as it is really good...
Njkate, I love, love, love The Wall. I reread it every few months. There is another one out there that I believe is also very good. The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist. It's under $4 for the kindle. I almost downloaded it again and then realized it was a bit of an overkill since I have the paper copy as well and the kindle copy already.

I highly recommend it.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:44 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Njkate, I love, love, love The Wall. I reread it every few months. There is another one out there that I believe is also very good. The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist. It's under $4 for the kindle. I almost downloaded it again and then realized it was a bit of an overkill since I have the paper copy as well and the kindle copy already.

I highly recommend it.
I also loved The Wall, still have my copy which was hard to locate as it's been out of print for a long time now. I will have to check out The Unit TY

Old 08-06-2013, 09:00 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I loved that!

I started listening to "Started Early, Took My Dog" by Kate Atkinson while driving today, and I loved the way the author conveys her thoughts about life in general through humorous asides. Reminds me of reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. I don't know how I will feel about it by the end, but at this point I've already placed a reserve on Overdrive downloads of her earlier works.
Your post jogged my memory to check whether I had place "Life After Life" on hold. In the meantime, I picked up "When Will There be Good News" finished it, and I agree with your "life in general through humorous asides" comment. The plot advances quickly and she doesn't waste words. From the sample I downloaded, her first book, "Behind the Scenes at the Museum" looks like a time travel book. Usually, I don't like this genre, but we shall see. Also have your recommendation, "Started Early, Took My Dog".

A more recent post mentioned Neil Gaiman. When I checked him on Wiki, it appears he has worked with Terry Pratchett. Maybe, I'll try Pratchett.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

After reading, "All the Pretty Horses", I decided to pass on Cormac McCarthy. I placed "In The After" on hold per your recommendation.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:

I highly recommend it.
I just put "The Unit" on hold. If it's anything like "The Wall", I will not be disappointed.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:

And, I ordered Caleb's Crossing in hardback, too. It's available on kindle for $10 but I simply must start being more fiscally responsible (boo hiss).
I loved Caleb's Crossing and would recommend People of the Book. I haven't read
March as yet, but I think anything by Brooks or her husband Tony Horwitz would be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books