Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 09:15 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
I finished A Feast For Crows. Admittedly, I did skip and/or skim some chapters (a couple of the Brienne, the various Dorne/Iron Island characters), but it wasn't as bad as I was dreading. I still think I'm going to hold of on Dance with Dragons for a while, though.

So now I'm trying to get into a new book. I'm reading Just in Case: How to be Self-Sufficient when the Unexpected Happens. And last night I started Fast Food Nation.
I've put [i]Dance with Dragons aside for the present. I think Mark S's observation may be right about Martin's lack of enthusiasm which shows up in the later books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:20 AM

I'm going to start Blood and Beauty: The Borgias by Sarah Dunant. The Showtime series was fascinating so I'd like to read more about the first family of crime.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:27 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Your post jogged my memory to check whether I had place "Life After Life" on hold. In the meantime, I picked up "When Will There be Good News" finished it, and I agree with your "life in general through humorous asides" comment. The plot advances quickly and she doesn't waste words. From the sample I downloaded, her first book, "Behind the Scenes at the Museum" looks like a time travel book. Usually, I don't like this genre, but we shall see. Also have your recommendation, "Started Early, Took My Dog".

A more recent post mentioned Neil Gaiman. When I checked him on Wiki, it appears he has worked with Terry Pratchett. Maybe, I'll try Pratchett.
I have too many reserves placed to latch onto the "Life After Life" -- they only allow ten. I hope I can remember to go back for her, later!

I also saw the Gaiman-Pratchett collaborative work and reserved that as one of my ten. We can compare notes after we've read it.

Quote:
I loved Caleb's Crossing and would recommend People of the Book. I haven't read March as yet, but I think anything by Brooks or her husband Tony Horwitz would be good.
I was thinking that Tony Horwitz was a new author for me, but after I looked at his listings at my library I discovered I'd read his "Voyage Long and Strange" but don't recall it being memorable. Still, I saw also that he had "Midnight Rising" about the revolt at Harper's Ferry, where DH and I had the good fortune to visit a few years ago. I found the history fascinating, and so now I've got another audiobook to listen to. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:35 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I have too many reserves placed to latch onto the "Life After Life" -- they only allow ten. I hope I can remember to go back for her, later!

I also saw the Gaiman-Pratchett collaborative work and reserved that as one of my ten. We can compare notes after we've read it.

I was thinking that Tony Horwitz was a new author for me, but after I looked at his listings at my library I discovered I'd read his "Voyage Long and Strange" but don't recall it being memorable. Still, I saw also that he had "Midnight Rising" about the revolt at Harper's Ferry, where DH and I had the good fortune to visit a few years ago. I found the history fascinating, and so now I've got another audiobook to listen to. Thanks!
I've read some Pratchett and enjoyed it. I've got several of his on my Kindle and few in paperback.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
I'm going to start Blood and Beauty: The Borgias by Sarah Dunant. The Showtime series was fascinating so I'd like to read more about the first family of crime.
I read this one about the Borgias and really enjoyed it. The Borgia Bride: A Novel: Jeanne Kalogridis: 9781250042279: Amazon.com: Books

Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

I feel blessed. We're allowed 50 holds and 100 checkouts at my library, and it's only a 10 minute walk to the library. Something to be said about our urban growth boundaries. I recommend Midnight Rising, and I have Confederates in the Attic on my kindle. I understand there's a newly or just to be released book on Brown's family, but can't remember the author or title. LOL

Old 08-06-2013, 07:22 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,708,863 times
Currently I am reading: Life As We Knew It by: Susan Beth Pfefer. The story is about the life of a 16 year old girl and her family after a asteroid hits the moon, causing the moon to move closer to the earth which unleashes Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Volcanic Eruptions, Etc...

The intended audiance for this novel is Teen / Young Adult BUT It is a good read for us adults also

Old 08-06-2013, 08:03 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
Currently I am reading: Life As We Knew It by: Susan Beth Pfefer. The story is about the life of a 16 year old girl and her family after a asteroid hits the moon, causing the moon to move closer to the earth which unleashes Tsunamis, Earthquakes, Volcanic Eruptions, Etc...

The intended audiance for this novel is Teen / Young Adult BUT It is a good read for us adults also
I totally agree. I really enjoyed that book. I read 3 books in the series and the 4th comes out on 8/13.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 08-06-2013 at 08:29 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 01:03 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Thanks for mentioning this book, gizmo980. I downloaded it last night and can't put it down. It's refreshing and scary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Gizmo & Ketabcha...TY came to the forum looking for something...anything...to read. After reading the reviews and what both of you said, on my way to Amazon to download
Glad I gave you both a good read! If you liked that one (as I did), also try Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. Similar theme and pace, minus the "monster" aspect, as it's post-apocalyptic after a natural disaster. There are two follow-up books, which you'll probably want to read just to finish the story - but they unfortunately don't live up to the debut. Still worth reading, though.

Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1) by Susan Beth Pfeffer - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Old 08-07-2013, 01:05 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
P.S. If you all have library cards (I hope so!!), check with your local branch/es to see if they have eBooks for borrowing. My library system has something like 50,000 "e-titles," including most of the new releases... you might have to wait for the REALLY popular titles, but still better than paying for everything. Just a tip from your resident librarian, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books