Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 06:43 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times

Advertisements

Haha... I didn't notice two others had already recommended Life as We Knew It - guess it's a popular one! I wasn't so thrilled with books 2 & 3, but still happy to hear there's a fourth planned. Maybe it'll be as good as the first? One can hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 06:26 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. If you all have library cards (I hope so!!), check with your local branch/es to see if they have eBooks for borrowing. My library system has something like 50,000 "e-titles," including most of the new releases... you might have to wait for the REALLY popular titles, but still better than paying for everything. Just a tip from your resident librarian, lol.
Great tip!

I am amazed by the depth of my local library system's ecatalog.
It is going to come in real handy when the winter weather hits.

Current reading:
just finished the second book in the Cass Elliot Crime series - "Avengers of Blood" by Gae-Lynn Woods.
It took me a little while to get into the first one due to a very large cast of characters, but, these are excellently written and the second book really took off for me.
Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:55 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,434 times
I'm reading The Wretched of Muirwood by Jeff Wheeler, a fantasy. Enjoying it a lot.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:54 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
If you like Greg Iles then you would probably enjoy the books of Simon Beckett. I like both authors. They both write well and have exceptional character development. The plots are intriguing and tend to take the reader on a roller coaster ride.
K, you were right about Simon Beckett. I just finished his "Whispers of the Dead," the third in his Dr. David Hunter series, and admit there were a few aspects of his writing style that put me off, but the story and the characters kept me reading. There were interesting plot twists that dispelled my initial reaction that it was predictable. (Bad me.)

At the end, I was taken enough with it that I reserved the first in the series, and was glad to see there is a fourth.

Next up: "Atonement," by Ian McEwan -- this one is for my friend TracySam!
Update: Just discovered my copy of "Atonement" is NOT on my Kindle, but on my Zune (audio), and since I am still on Louise Penny's "Beautiful Mystery" that is not imminent. (Sorry TracySam!)

I looked at Caleb's Crossing, but am not really taken with historic fiction right now, so I think I will go with "Maine," by J. Courtney Sullivan.

Last edited by LookinForMayberry; 08-08-2013 at 10:27 AM..

Old 08-08-2013, 11:59 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

I looked at Caleb's Crossing, but am not really taken with historic fiction right now, so I think I will go with "Maine," by J. Courtney Sullivan.
I liked Maine. I have Sullivan's new book, The Engagements, on hold. Brooks specializes in historical fiction. I still haven't read her Pulitzer prize winner, March.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I liked Maine. I have Sullivan's new book, The Engagements, on hold. Brooks specializes in historical fiction. I still haven't read her Pulitzer prize winner, March.
I downloaded Brooks "People of the Book" because I've always been stymied about how a group of people that once considered themselves held by this common link became so divisive (I have the same wonder at our Congress), but I just cannot read anything enlightening, right now. Lazy mind, I think.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:38 PM

352 posts, read 796,612 times
Am reading "Well-Schooled in Murder" by Elizabeth George. She is the "new" master of the English psychological murder mystery. It,s a really great read!

Old 08-08-2013, 02:39 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I downloaded Brooks "People of the Book" because I've always been stymied about how a group of people that once considered themselves held by this common link became so divisive (I have the same wonder at our Congress), but I just cannot read anything enlightening, right now. Lazy mind, I think.
I liked Caleb's Crossing, but Brooks was limited in her research due to a lack of credible documentation on the first Native American to graduate college. I hope you enjoy People of the Book as much as I did. Ditto on our non productive Congress.

On Edit: I have This town : two parties and a funeral--plus, plenty of valet parking!--in America's gilded capital by Mark Leibovich on hold. It skewers both parties and if the sample I read is any indication it's very amusing and very sad at the same time.

Last edited by tigerlily; 08-08-2013 at 02:59 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 04:05 PM

352 posts, read 796,612 times
To LFM...I think you may be confusing Elizabeth George with Elizabeth Peters ... not the same genre at all.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
It skewers both parties and if the sample I read is any indication it's very amusing and very sad at the same time.
Again, very much like our current political "players."

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVBurn View Post
To LFM...I think you may be confusing Elizabeth George with Elizabeth Peters ... not the same genre at all.
You are absolutely correct! Thank you for setting me straight on that.

I am not yet finished with Louise Penny's "The Beautiful Mystery," but already I am bursting with enthusiasm for this book, so I will let a bit out now. Louise is a gifted writer in that not only is her style transparent (never getting in the way of the reader's experience of the story side by side with the characters, but also in that -- at least in this story, there are so many layers of stories. I won't spoil its unfolding for any who might pick it up, but -- at least for me, it truly reveals life's beautiful mystery. So much so that it has me examining my own life and the characters that play within it.

Okay, back to my listening pleasure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books