Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 06:32 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,330 times

Advertisements

It’s amazing how long this thread is.

I’m reading Einstein, The Life and Times by Ronald W. Clark. It’s great to learn that genius like Einstein has a normal life like everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 07:33 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
I was listening to "Atonement" because after watching the movie my interpretation of the central character's motivations were different than another readers. After having to listen to the insipid meanderings of the inner lives of the four central characters -- melodramatic to say the least, I finally reached that pivotal moment in the story to understand what the author's thoughts of her motives were. Now, there are three different interpretations of her motives. The funny thing is that while the other reader was less forgiving of her than I was, now that I know the author's view I have a dim view of her. The reasons are different at their source, but the the essence is the same: the girl was over-indulged in her upbringing, and her self-interests ruined the lives of others.

I am putting aside the audiobook at this midpoint. I cannot recommend it.

Started: "Sister Queens: The Noble, Tragic Lives Of Katherine Of Aragon And Juana, Queen Of Castile," by Julia Fox. I figure it is one of those that I can set aside when one of my library reserves comes available.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
It’s amazing how long this thread is.

I’m reading Einstein, The Life and Times by Ronald W. Clark. It’s great to learn that genius like Einstein has a normal life like everyone else.
When you run out of ideas for books, just dive in anywhere and in no time you'll have a list.

And the Einstein book sounds good. Thanks!

Old 08-14-2013, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 843 times
Children's Encyclopedia of Animals: Mammals

A great educational and fun book for the little ones. Still free on amazon.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:17 AM

218 posts, read 544,159 times
Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet): Orson Scott Card: 9780812550702: Amazon.com: Books

Just finished reading this. Decided to read it after seeing the trailer for the film adaption while waiting to watch a movie this weekend. It's a Young Adult novel but you'd never know it. I think it's a book for all ages to enjoy. The prose is intelligent and pulls you in from the beginning. It was great. Riveting.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:25 AM

218 posts, read 544,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I've had difficulty getting into some books, but now have hit the jackpot.

Loved Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld. It's about twin sisters who have some psychic powers (or so they claim/believe). One predicts a major earthquake, which takes on a life of its own. The sisters are quite different---one is unmarried, gay, more of a free spirit, whereas the other is more traditional. Well-written, great characters. And normally any mention of ESP would turn me off.

Currently reading Big Brother by Lionel Shriver. This is glorious! Every sentence is finely crafted (I drive my husband crazy when I say that). It's about a woman in Iowa whose jazz musician brother comes to live with her and her family. She hasn't seen him in several years...has no idea that he has ballooned up hundreds of pounds. It's about many things, including of course obesity and our relationship to food. Her insight is amazing. Her characters are spot-on.

Can anyone recommend another female author who has a traditionally-male first name? Seem to love them (at least Curtis and Lionel!).
Thanks for the recommendations.
Just got both of these from Amazon. Looking forward to reading!

Old 08-14-2013, 11:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
jazzcat, thanks for the recommendation on Big Brother. I've only read the sample, but have already decided it's going to be one of top ten books for the year. Have you read others by Shriver? I've put a hold on Big Brother, but I've downloaded So Much for That. I love this author's writing. It's wonderful.

I loved "So Much for That", and looking forward to "Big Brother". My library has "Post Birthday World", it's now on my to-do list.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:02 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,128,844 times
As for Lionel Shriver, I loved We Need to Talk About Kevin, So Much for That, and The Post-Birthday World. Could not get into The New Republic, though.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:05 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I just finished Sidonia's Thread: The Secrets of a Mother and a Daughter Sewing a New Life in America by Hanna Perlstein Marcus.

This is a free kindle book from Amazon. I took a chance on it and I am certainly glad that I did. It's an exceptional dual biography beginning in Hungary, then to the killing camps of the Holocaust and finally to the US. There is no graphic horror told about the camps. So if you dread that you don't have to worry.

I really enjoyed this book. It is extremely well written and the editing is perfect.

If it is your cup of tea then I recommend it to you.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:21 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob12 View Post
Just started The Hard Way by Lee Child
How was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just finished Sidonia's Thread: The Secrets of a Mother and a Daughter Sewing a New Life in America by Hanna Perlstein Marcus.

This is a free kindle book from Amazon. I took a chance on it and I am certainly glad that I did. It's an exceptional dual biography beginning in Hungary, then to the killing camps of the Holocaust and finally to the US. There is no graphic horror told about the camps. So if you dread that you don't have to worry.

I really enjoyed this book. It is extremely well written and the editing is perfect.

If it is your cup of tea then I recommend it to you.
Thanks for that one. I added it to my "to read" list.

I just got back from visiting family in NY and I have quite the list of books to read. I will be reading some books with my nieces. Now to find them at my library.

Right now I am reading No One Left To Tell by Karen Rose. Next is Blink by Ted Dekker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books