Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 06:20 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,721,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Just finished Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline. I personally absolutely loved it and will absolutely read it again someday. Not starting anything else quite yet as I am #1 on one and #3 on two books on the library hold list. I am hoping maybe by the time I am done with work tomorrow one will be mine.
I am loving this book!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 02:33 PM

74,126 posts, read 1,835,903 times
Just started Out of Range by C J Box

Old 08-22-2013, 05:34 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,363,482 times
Just finished the Mule Trainer series...good reads lots of fun.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:13 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
I finished Graham Phillips' "The Templars and the Ark of the Covenant : the discovery of the treasure of Solomon," this afternoon. It was fantastic. Probably if I didn't study the Old Testament for a college requirement, I would not have appreciated it as much -- and my love of learning about scientific discoveries and how they explain our world. This book has both.

The author describes how he's in the Middle East working on another project when he gets interested in learning what happened to the Ark of the Covenant built by Moses and his followers. Before he knows it, he's on the trail, and along the way he learns the most amazing things -- like the location of the mountain where Moses saw the burning bush -- and the science behind it.

You'll have to read it to believe it.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:28 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I am loving this book!!!
Yay!!!!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:30 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I finished Graham Phillips' "The Templars and the Ark of the Covenant : the discovery of the treasure of Solomon," this afternoon. It was fantastic. Probably if I didn't study the Old Testament for a college requirement, I would not have appreciated it as much -- and my love of learning about scientific discoveries and how they explain our world. This book has both.

The author describes how he's in the Middle East working on another project when he gets interested in learning what happened to the Ark of the Covenant built by Moses and his followers. Before he knows it, he's on the trail, and along the way he learns the most amazing things -- like the location of the mountain where Moses saw the burning bush -- and the science behind it.

You'll have to read it to believe it.
I am intrigued now. Might have to see if my library has this one. I took an Old Testament class in college too.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:59 PM

Started Parker's "Spare Change." I was put off by the fact that this protagonist (Sunny Randall) has the same "voice" as his Spencer character, which was causing me to envision Sunny as a tall, blonde Spencer in drag. (You can imagine how distracting that was during her dialogues with her ex-husband! ) Thankfully, we've moved past that, and the plot is starting to thicken, so I am in for the long haul.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:05 PM

55 posts, read 58,314 times
I am reading "First Grave on the Right" by Darynda Jones and "The Longest Road" by Philip Caputo.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:09 PM

I finished listening to Sherman Alexis' "Flight" this afternoon. It's a relatively short story about a fifteen year old Indian boy whose life takes a dramatic turn in the midst of a pivotal moment in his life. It is probably the first realistic story about a Native American teen that I have ever encountered.

I've always wondered about Alexis' writing but this is the first time I've ventured in and I was instantly haunted by it. As a young girl in northern Michigan, I had a chance to see many young Native Americans that were like the protagonist. And anyone having been to Seattle's Central District would recognize characters there. I was a bit queasy about staying with the story, but I was glad I did. I was VERY, VERY glad I did.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:10 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I finished listening to Sherman Alexis' "Flight" this afternoon. It's a relatively short story about a fifteen year old Indian boy whose life takes a dramatic turn in the midst of a pivotal moment in his life. It is probably the first realistic story about a Native American teen that I have ever encountered.

I've always wondered about Alexis' writing but this is the first time I've ventured in and I was instantly haunted by it. As a young girl in northern Michigan, I had a chance to see many young Native Americans that were like the protagonist. And anyone having been to Seattle's Central District would recognize characters there. I was a bit queasy about staying with the story, but I was glad I did. I was VERY, VERY glad I did.
I like Sherman Alexie. The Absolute True Diary of a Part-Time Indian was a book that I could not put down. I laughed, nearly cried and totally enjoyed the book.

I'm currently reading Secrets and Wives: The Hidden World of Mormon Polygamy by Sanjiv Bhattacharya.
At first I had a problem with the title since the LDS disavowed polygamy over 100 years ago. But as I got into the book I realized what he was saying. Polygamy was a part of the Mormon culture back in the days of Joseph Smith. For that reason the various offshoot groups, such as the FLDS and/or AUB, consider it to be Mormon. The Browns on "Sister Wives" are members of the AUB.

This is a non-fiction book. The author is a journalist from London. He writes beautifully and some of his asides really do make me laugh out loud. He certainly did his homework for this book. His interviews are interesting and cut to the chase. The largest polygamist group is the FLDS-Warren Jeffs' gang. The author could not talk to anyone belonging to the FLDS. So, the truly sordid and felonious info is not available from them. I've read enough of Jeffs to choke a horse, anyway.

I like the book. It flows smoothly and the author delivers the facts in a balanced manner.

I recommend it if you are interested in the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books