Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 11:45 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Gosh, I forgot all about Trevanian. The Eiger Sanction was such a good book. I'll put his other books on my TBR list.
Yeah, about Trevanian... hmmm. I don't like to judge a new (to me) author harshly based on one work -- or the readers that gave this book an average of 4+ stars (of 5). I hope all of this author's works are not so racially and sexually slurring, but after listening to all that I could stomach of this one I put it aside.

Moving on to "Asta's Book," by Barbara Vine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 05:52 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,958 times
I just finished a historical fiction about the lost Roanoke called White Seed, very interesting.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:52 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I just finished a historical fiction about the lost Roanoke called White Seed, very interesting.
That sounds good. I checked the reviews and also found this one:
Redfield Farm: A Novel of the Underground Railroad
Redfield Farm: A Novel of the Underground Railroad: Judith Redline Coopey: 9780978924744: Amazon.com: Books

You may have started a new kind of reading for me. Thanks.

I finished Fahrenheit 451 last night. It was not my kind of book. Oh well...then I started The Book Thief which I think I will enjoy.

This morning I checked Goodreads and my niece just started Divergent and since I got that yesterday from the library I will read it with her. It looks very good:
Divergent: Veronica Roth: 9780062024039: Amazon.com: Books

Old 08-27-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
... You may have started a new kind of reading for me. Thanks.

I finished Fahrenheit 451 last night. It was not my kind of book. Oh well...then I started The Book Thief which I think I will enjoy.

This morning I checked Goodreads and my niece just started Divergent and since I got that yesterday from the library I will read it with her. It looks very good:
I've always admired your sense of spirited adventure, Lisa -- and not least of all in your reading. Open minds are the door to life.

I was not a fan of Bradbury as a younger reader, and sci fi is not a usual genre either, but I remain open to future possibilities. Now days, our lives feel like sci fi!

I am becoming more interested in "Sister Queens" as I read deeper. Last night I finished Part I, and today begin on their lives as new brides to their princes. As I read I am reflecting on the fables we little girls grew up with about being a princess. What a joke.

I am really beginning to despise the illusions we create in bringing up our little girls. I know it didn't do me any favors, and I can see many disillusioned women that have had to make huge adjustments to the realities of their lives -- still good lives, even great lives, but not the fairy tales we were taught to look forward to living.

Sorry, I digress. The original point was that the princesses of reality were more chattel... bargaining chips for diplomacy between states. Still true today in many worlds for many women.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:46 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Sounds interesting. Might have to put a hold on it. Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-27-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

I am becoming more interested in "Sister Queens" as I read deeper. Last night I finished Part I, and today begin on their lives as new brides to their princes. As I read I am reflecting on the fables we little girls grew up with about being a princess. What a joke.

I am really beginning to despise the illusions we create in bringing up our little girls. I know it didn't do me any favors, and I can see many disillusioned women that have had to make huge adjustments to the realities of their lives -- still good lives, even great lives, but not the fairy tales we were taught to look forward to living.

Sorry, I digress. The original point was that the princesses of reality were more chattel... bargaining chips for diplomacy between states. Still true today in many worlds for many women.
Now I am wondering what exactly I say to my daughters. I'll try be more mindful of this as I know what you mean. I don't think I disillusion them as both DH and I try to raise our kids to understand what life is really like.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Yesterday, I posted that I had finished Ian McEwan's "Atonement", but I had not yet read the 20-page Epilog. I wept when I read that, needing to set the book down and wipe my eyes and blow my nose, temporarily disabled, and again just as I write this.

I don't often do that, I think the last time was in "The Reader". Maybe that says more about me than about the book, I always cry at the wrong times in the wrong movies, and even country music, embarrassing myself and my companions, who are probably laughing instead.

Don't think you can just read the Epilog, you need to read the whole book.

So, now, back to the library.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-27-2013 at 11:35 AM..

Old 08-27-2013, 12:25 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,286 times
G'morning!

Darlin' and I recently finished The Hunger Games trilogy (well, he read and I listened - I'm legally blind) for the second time. It may not be Dickens or Shakespeare, but it's 'A back door approach to a front door message,' and while the sentence structure may be a tad odd - it's a great story!

Am presently waiting for two books to come - Look Homeward Angel, and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.

Cheers,

Mahrie.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Now I am wondering what exactly I say to my daughters. I'll try be more mindful of this as I know what you mean. I don't think I disillusion them as both DH and I try to raise our kids to understand what life is really like.
Sorry for my rant, fromupthere. I am certain you and most parents bring your girls up just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yesterday, I posted that I had finished Ian McEwan's "Atonement", but I had not yet read the 20-page Epilog. I wept when I read that, needing to set the book down and wipe my eyes and blow my nose, temporarily disabled, and again just as I write this.... Don't think you can just read the Epilog, you need to read the whole book.
Oh geez, just when I was thinking I could put the unfinished audiobook behind me... now you've done it!

I started the audiobook "Asta's Book," by Barbara Vine and read by Ruth Rendell this afternoon. I tried listening to it a few weeks ago and just couldn't get into it. I am glad I came back to it. It's a bit slow in the take off, and the transition from Asta at the start to her granddaughter further along is a bit too seamless, but I definitely want to know where it's leading.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Sorry for my rant, fromupthere. I am certain you and most parents bring your girls up just fine.
Well hopefully I am. But I'm pretty sure there are a lot of them (including some I know) who aren't doing a really horrible job, but aren't helping them by not teaching them self-respect, respect for others, responsibility, common sense, etc.

Went to the library this evening with the family. Got 3 books. Haven't decided quite yet what will be first, but they are Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks, The Silent Boy by Lois Lowry (whom I am finding I enjoy reading very much, even if they are considered juvenile/young adult, and Deep in the Heart of Trouble by Deanne Gist. I also am #1 on the hold list on I believe 3 ebooks. Of course they will all be mine in the next day or 2 since I actually found some more stuff to read since people aren't reading fast enough for my liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books