Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 09:56 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
A Wanted Man, a Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child. Another page turner but I think it may be the last Jack Reacher book I read. I am tiring of the formula.
I tired of him two or three books back but at first I couldn't get enough oh him. I think the books written in the third person are the better ones but he also seems to have become more fomulatic over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 09:58 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yesterday, I posted that I had finished Ian McEwan's "Atonement", but I had not yet read the 20-page Epilog. I wept when I read that, needing to set the book down and wipe my eyes and blow my nose, temporarily disabled, and again just as I write this.

I don't often do that, I think the last time was in "The Reader". Maybe that says more about me than about the book, I always cry at the wrong times in the wrong movies, and even country music, embarrassing myself and my companions, who are probably laughing instead.

Don't think you can just read the Epilog, you need to read the whole book.

So, now, back to the library.
Well, now I will have to read it.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:05 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,434,244 times
Just started this

Old 08-29-2013, 01:16 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I just started Telex From Cuba: A Novel by Rachel Kushner. It's a kindle special at $1.99.

This one is going to be good. I'm only 3% into it and cannot put it down.

It takes place in Cuba in the 1950s when Batista was first being threatened by rebels a la Castro. The story centers on the Americans living in Cuba at the time who were employees of an American fruit company. They live in a gated community and the story unfolds through the eyes of a 13 year old American boy.

I remember when my aunt and uncle went to Cuba on their honeymoon back in the 50s and during the days when Havana was THE place for Americans to go for fun and games.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:23 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just started Telex From Cuba: A Novel by Rachel Kushner. It's a kindle special at $1.99.

This one is going to be good. I'm only 3% into it and cannot put it down.

It takes place in Cuba in the 1950s when Batista was first being threatened by rebels a la Castro. The story centers on the Americans living in Cuba at the time who were employees of an American fruit company. They live in a gated community and the story unfolds through the eyes of a 13 year old American boy.

I remember when my aunt and uncle went to Cuba on their honeymoon back in the 50s and during the days when Havana was THE place for Americans to go for fun and games.
I thought this one looked very interesting so I bought along with the Mary Poppins books offered. The NYT gave this book excellent reviews.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/bo...gewanted=print

I finished Lionel Shrivers, So Much for that. Very well written. Because it touched on some older political issues, I tired of the "preachy" character.
Also finished The Art Forger by B. H. Shapiro not very well written. The characters were one dimensional and "like this and like that" used frequently. I liked the premise of the story based on the largest art theft in history from the Gardner Museum in Boston. It went into detail on the process used to forge paintings.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:29 PM

289 posts, read 569,725 times
I am currently reading "Sleep No More" by Iris Johansen. It's book 15 of 17 in the Eve Duncan books. And of couse by the time I finish all 17 we know #18 will be out.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:48 PM

74,112 posts, read 1,835,618 times
Just started Silken Prey by John Sandford.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:00 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I finished Divergent before my niece. I loved it. She thinks it is boring and confusing. Then again she is 15. I told her to move on and go back to it when her reading style changes some

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I've always admired your sense of spirited adventure, Lisa -- and not least of all in your reading. Open minds are the door to life.

Thank you. I have really tried to open up with my reading. I still don't care for the heavy literary books but I have become very open to new topics A lot of that has come from all of you here.

I am becoming more interested in "Sister Queens" as I read deeper. Last night I finished Part I, and today begin on their lives as new brides to their princes. As I read I am reflecting on the fables we little girls grew up with about being a princess. What a joke.

I am really beginning to despise the illusions we create in bringing up our little girls. I know it didn't do me any favors, and I can see many disillusioned women that have had to make huge adjustments to the realities of their lives -- still good lives, even great lives, but not the fairy tales we were taught to look forward to living.

Sorry, I digress. The original point was that the princesses of reality were more chattel... bargaining chips for diplomacy between states. Still true today in many worlds for many women.
Sister Queens sounds interesting. It's a shame that some girls go from Daddy's little girl to hubby's nightmare girl, not woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Well hopefully I am. But I'm pretty sure there are a lot of them (including some I know) who aren't doing a really horrible job, but aren't helping them by not teaching them self-respect, respect for others, responsibility, common sense, etc.

Went to the library this evening with the family. Got 3 books. Haven't decided quite yet what will be first, but they are Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks, The Silent Boy by Lois Lowry (whom I am finding I enjoy reading very much, even if they are considered juvenile/young adult, and Deep in the Heart of Trouble by Deanne Gist. I also am #1 on the hold list on I believe 3 ebooks. Of course they will all be mine in the next day or 2 since I actually found some more stuff to read since people aren't reading fast enough for my liking.
Common sense seems to be lacking in children and adults Ok back to books:0

I loved Safe Haven. It was my first Nicolas Sparks book. My librarian teased me about the book. She doesn't read sappy. She called Nicholas Nicole and said he writes like Nora Roberts. I said that's OK...I have read many of her books

I am reading more YA also. I have Son waiting for me. I have two books to read first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Oh you know which one gets my vote for you to read next LOL .....The sparks of course , the sparks . God how I love his books ...
What were our favorites?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology by Jenna Miscaviage Hill. It is quite interesting.
That sounds interesting. I like learning about other religions, beliefs, and points of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
A Wanted Man, a Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child. Another page turner but I think it may be the last Jack Reacher book I read. I am tiring of the formula.
I have only read a of his books but I did enjoy them. Have you read Robert Crais? You might want to check some of his books out for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob12 View Post
Just started Silken Prey by John Sandford.
That looks good. Do you have to read those books in order?

I started Having Our Say last night. I think someone here must have told me about it. I am really enjoying it so far. I like the sisters and their attitudes
Amazon.com: Having Our Say: The Delany Sisters' First 100 Years (9780440220428): Sarah L. Delany, A. Elizabeth Delany, Amy Hill Hearth: Books

Old 08-30-2013, 06:56 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I just finished The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker. I never would have chosen it for myself, but it was my book club book. That is one of my favorite things about book clubs - getting pushed out of my reading comfort zone. I'm really glad I read this one!

It is a coming of age story set during the present day when for some unexplained reason the earth begins to slow its rotations resulting in longer days and longer nights. The impact of this environmental slow-motion disaster plays out on the world around this young girl, yet her middle school life goes on in some very predictable and poignant ways. It wasn't a perfect book, but it was thought provoking and I think it gracefully balanced the elements of Julia's girlhood with the apocalyptic background with neither being too heavy handed.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:44 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I finished Divergent before my niece. I loved it. She thinks it is boring and confusing. Then again she is 15. I told her to move on and go back to it when her reading style changes some
So very true. I wonder if I am mature enough to enjoy "Divergent"?

Quote:
Sister Queens sounds interesting. It's a shame that some girls go from Daddy's little girl to hubby's nightmare girl, not woman
Yes, apparently my/our comments about princesses are becoming more appropriate to the book as I read along. Both Katherine and Juana marry into completely different situations, and both respond quite differently. Has me wondering whether it is revealing who each girl is growing to be, or if they are essentially still much alike and the circumstances are triggering the differences. Hmmm.

Quote:
... My librarian teased me about the [Nicolas Sparks] book. She doesn't read sappy. She called Nicholas Nicole and said he writes like Nora Roberts. I said that's OK...I have read many of her books
I admit that I didn't care for Sparks either -- he's a bit too "Hallmark" for my taste, but it still surprises me that a librarian would negatively judge an author to a reader. I guess they are human, too, but still -- reading is an individual choice and choices should be rewarded, not ridiculed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
It is a coming of age story set during the present day when for some unexplained reason the earth begins to slow its rotations resulting in longer days and longer nights.
I don't know if the book made it clear, but that premise is a scientific reality. Our earth has been shown to be slowing to make longer daily cycles (though I don't recall whether the duration of daylight and dark are increasing equally). I forget which book I picked that up from -- maybe it was a documentary.

I just received word that my download of the audiobook "The Ocean at the End of the Lane," by Neil Gaiman was available. Now that it is safely spirited onto my Zune, I am wondering whether I can really focus on "Atonement" after finishing "Asta's Book," or I should just keep pushing it out. (Follow my nose, or pay attention to my original plan... ) That pesky nose of mine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books