Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 11:50 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcalaLiving View Post
I’ve been on a reading binge – one per day for the last month and all over the place as far as genres.
365 books a year? That is ten times the number of tolerably decent books that are published. So you speed-read 330 hacks, and by speed-reading, missed the genuine quality of the 30 good books that you did read that needed to be savored. Or in the specific time frame, you read 27 trash novels, and missed the pleasure of savoring the three good ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 12:10 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
365 books a year? That is ten times the number of tolerably decent books that are published. So you speed-read 330 hacks, and by speed-reading, missed the genuine quality of the 30 good books that you did read that needed to be savored. Or in the specific time frame, you read 27 trash novels, and missed the pleasure of savoring the three good ones.
To each their own, right?

I love to savor the words in my head, and I notice I mimic the facial expressions that authors describe: the raised brow, the smirk, the wink. Thank goodness DH doesn't pay a lot of attention to me reading or he'd be making wise cracks about it!

Old 08-31-2013, 01:49 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
To each their own, right?

I love to savor the words in my head, and I notice I mimic the facial expressions that authors describe: the raised brow, the smirk, the wink. Thank goodness DH doesn't pay a lot of attention to me reading or he'd be making wise cracks about it!

My husband just hands me tissues, lol.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:05 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,183,718 times
American Desperado: My Life--From Mafia Soldier to Cocaine Cowboy to Secret Government Asset. I have only read 50-60 pages but it is no doubt that Jon Roberts was one disgusting psychopatic criminal. Still, it is interesting reading about such a cold-blooded criminal.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:11 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
well let me tell you , the book calling me home stunk to high heaven could not even finish it . the silver star was just awesome and I really liked it .

Old 08-31-2013, 04:12 PM

863 posts, read 1,196,053 times
I've been trying like hell to read The Shack by Young but it's super preachy and I'm really struggling. I rarely don't finish a book no matter how bad but I don't think I'm gonna make it through this one.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:02 PM

218 posts, read 544,254 times
Quote:
LOL...I didn't say I read 365 a year. I've read a book a day for the last month. Yes, some haven't been of the highest quality, but I couldn't say that until I'd read them. Sometimes the joy of reading is just that - to explore that which we don't already know. ; ) Not *every* book has to have a meaning. And if that's all you're looking for, you've missed out on some pretty amazing literature! There are some I've cast aside - Neil Gaiman's American Gods was awful, IMHO.

I, for one, am not a book snob. One thing I don't read is romance. My husband is a romance author - sadly..lol and none of his books interest me. But I *do* read pretty much everything else and in every genre from bestsellers to the KJB to books on the Military's Professional Reading Program.

I *do* read fast. Disgustingly fast. My father used to require that I read 20 books every month during summer breaks, quiz me on even the most minute of details, and then make me write essays. I sucked at writing the essays, I do admit, but loved the reading.

I still love reading. It is the air I breathe. Whether it be a book or magazine, information - I crave data - and good data at that. *Johnny - 5 needs input* <----vague reference to Short Circuit.

I've only been lucky enough to read so many this month b/c my workload has been a little lighter and my local library now has provided access to over a million electronic books. My Kindle Fire is in ecstasy as am I. With that, I am off to start my next book.

Point Break by C.J. Box

Cheers!!

Last edited by OcalaLiving; 08-31-2013 at 06:35 PM..

Old 08-31-2013, 10:09 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
I've been trying like hell to read The Shack by Young but it's super preachy and I'm really struggling. I rarely don't finish a book no matter how bad but I don't think I'm gonna make it through this one.

I absolutely detested that book.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
LOL...I didn't say I read 365 a year. I've read a book a day for the last month.
What I was saying is that there is no way one can get the full reading value out of a well-crafted book if you read the whole thing in a day, no matter how many days in a row you read a whole book. And if you can keep up that pace, you are not being very selective about your reading, and as a result, will read a great deal of trash.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:58 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well let me tell you , the book calling me home stunk to high heaven could not even finish it . the silver star was just awesome and I really liked it .
Glad to know

Quote:
Sometimes the joy of reading is just that - to explore that which we don't already know. ; ) Not *every* book has to have a meaning. And if that's all you're looking for, you've missed out on some pretty amazing literature!

I love reading a nice easy read when I have a lot going on. Sometimes I don't want to get into the deep meaning of a book. To me it's like Drama TV compared to Comedy TV. Too much of anything is not good for you.

Love the Short Circuit reference.

I have added Joe Pickett books to my list. Thanks.

Quote:
What I was saying is that there is no way one can get the full reading value out of a well-crafted book if you read the whole thing in a day, no matter how many days in a row you read a whole book. And if you can keep up that pace, you are not being very selective about your reading, and as a result, will read a great deal of trash.
Get ready my DH and I will be leaving this week to do a house remodel ourselves in Florida. I most likely will be reading a lot of trash My mind will be very busy as well as my body I will really miss my library.

I am almost done with the Delany Sisters and it is great I am also still reading The Book Thief and I am enjoying it more. Sadly it will most likely be my last book in TN. Then I will have to switch over to some old garage sale paperbacks.

I won't have time to read Son or The Locket while I am here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books