Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2006, 03:00 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,187,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
(I usually have several books going at once and go back and forth depending on my mood).
I do too ------>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2006, 01:46 PM

986 posts, read 2,803,195 times
Kite Runner one of the best books I have read!!!!! A must read!!!

Old 10-04-2006, 05:08 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,745,637 times
I never have the time to finish a book, although if I would get off the computer I guess I could do it. I do like to read the occasional periodical: Entrepreneur is great, Peta to learn about ways to help animals, Cosmo for just silly stuff.

Old 10-08-2006, 02:05 PM

69 posts, read 174,699 times
I just started a series of books by Maragret Maron about a judge named Deborah Knott, I am on the third one it is set in a fictional county in Eastern NC about this lawyer who is the youngest child and only daughter of a legendary bootlegger, she becomes a district court judge, and always seems to be solving murders. So far they have been pretty good reads the first one is titled Bootleggers Daughter.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:47 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,922,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areyouserious? View Post
. Its not only good for you, but its good for the kids to see you doing it.
Very true.

I just finished On Beauty, by Zadie Smith. Enjoyed it very much.
Have embarked on The Ghost Hunters,William James and the Search for Scientific Proof of Life After Death, by Deborah Blum. Pretty interesting stuff.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:25 AM

694 posts, read 2,646,007 times
At this point I read authors (how cool would it be to have coffee
with these people)

1. Nelson DeMille
2. Robert Ludlum
3. Stepen R Donaldson
4. Dean Koontz
5. Tom Wolfe

Old 11-12-2006, 07:55 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,778,789 times
I HIGHLY recommend the book "No More Bull!" by Howard F Lyman. It is by a MT rancher gone vegan. Now before you go shunning it thinking that it's an animal rights propaganda book, I would like to recommend it as a health book. It is more about mad cow & the American diet as related to disease than it is about animal rights. This guy (really his dad) had an organic farm but then started using all the pestisides & hormones etc and got cancer! He went back to organic & went vegan. I've only read a few chapters, but it is VERY interesting & I think everyone would benefit from reading it. Knowledge is power. Even if you eat meat, you should know about what goes into what you're putting into your body. It is directly related to your health.

I also read "The Exorcism Of Anneliese Michel" which is the book upon which the movie "The Exorcism Of Emily Rose" was based. (for those of you "into" movies - I can't stand em!) REALLY interesting analysis of the case in which the priests & her parents were found guilty for negligent homicide. (The author uses very intersting evidence to support what I believe as well, which is that it was the drugs she was put on that were the problem & ultimately caused her death.) Fascinating!

I also am reading "How To Stop Worrying & Start Living" by the guy that wrote "How To Win Friends & Influence People" - which I never read because I could care less but this book, while presenting common sense, is a very good book for those that tend to "worry". (In any sense of the word)

I also am reading - though it's not a "story" type book, more a reference book - The Kansas Guidebook by Marci Penner, a lady who grew up on a farm in Inman, KS & spent two years touring the state & tells all about it! I thought it would have been more a narrative style as opposed to just lists & facts, but I love anything about KS & it is a really cool all glossy spiral bound book! (No I don't work for them )

I am also reading "Things That Go Bump In The Night" by Brad Steiger - a collection of short supposedly true "paranormal" stories. It's pretty good so far...

I tend to read alot of books at one time! It depends what I'm in the mood to read at the mo!

I'm still reading the WONDERFUL "Prairy Erth" by William Least-Heat Moon about Chase County KS. It's a big book!

And one of the best books I've ever read is called "A Really Super Book About Squirrels"! It's like a 10 page illustrated book that I would think is a kids book, but it seems like one of "those" that's more child-like in it's simplicity, but really poignant in it's sweetness! It's as if I wrote it!

Ok, enough for now...!

Old 11-12-2006, 10:21 PM

622 posts, read 2,703,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
... It's as if I wrote it!
Then it must have lots of smiley faces and exclamation points? LOL

Old 02-06-2007, 08:00 AM

502 posts, read 2,292,550 times
Default Just finished

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. It was kind of slow for me in the middle and all of the characters were annoying the heck out of me but toward the end everything got really interesting and I couldn't put it down. It is incredible how the husband made a decision purely based on good intentions and instead that decision is what led to the demise of his relationship with his wife.

My boss always says "Life is Choices" and this book really brings that message home.

By the way, I preordered the Harry Potter book!!! I am very excited but sad at the same time because this is the last Harry Potter book. Harry Potter would be more interesting as a 40 year old wizard!!!

Last edited by Marka; 02-06-2007 at 03:12 PM..

Old 02-06-2007, 11:20 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,842,231 times
To the person who mentioned the book, "The Marketing of Evil," thank you for that. I just went to Amazon to read the summary and reviews and must now find my own copy. I have long believed that Americans have been duped by clever and subverted persuasion in many areas - the ACLU being a prime example. Anyway, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books