Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 02:38 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times

Advertisements

I am reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter on my Kindle.

Perhaps the most succinctly titled book of all time. It tells you everything you need to know about what is inside. Titles like Great Expectations, War & Peace, The Sun Also Rises don't tell you anything about the book without reading it first. They could mean anything!

I've never read The Catcher in the Rye, I think I will have to get that one next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 11:01 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,719,775 times
Kurt Vonegut's Slaughterhouse Five. I've never read any of his works before and was honestly expecting it to be dull, but it sucked me in and I can hardly stop reading it. I also find it interesting that Vonegut lived a notable chunk of his life in my hometown, which most people have never even heard of before.
I'll be reading Cat's Cradle next, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I've never read The Catcher in the Rye, I think I will have to get that one next.
Its my personal belief that you can't take the main character too seriously when you read it, especially the first time you read it. Otherwise you'll find yourself wanting to reach into the book to punch him in the face. The first time I read Catcher in the Rye I hated it and took the main character way too seriously. The second time I read it I found him hilarious and sarcastic and the book is now one of my favorites.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:20 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,582,765 times
I'm reading "The Wicked Winter" and I also have "The Brothers of Glastonbury" next. Both by Kate Sedley, and part of Roger the Chapman series.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:49 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
just finished mitch albom's "have a little faith". it was a nice true story based on his conversations with his aging rabbi from his youth, and a drug addict-turned minister in detroit. it was very touching.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:42 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times
I just started an anthology of New Orleans stories, called New Orleans Noir. It helps to actually be here in N.O to read it.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:47 PM

9,631 posts, read 819,989 times
I'm reading Huckleberry Finn in English.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:20 PM

220 posts, read 282,588 times
Puru-

Read Slaughterhouse-Five a couple of months ago. My husband loves Vonnegut and I'd never read any of his books, and we own quite a few of them! I wasn't sure what to think at the beginning, but I ended up really liking the book. So it goes. I will read more of his books eventually.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:43 PM

109 posts, read 405,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
I just started an anthology of New Orleans stories, called New Orleans Noir. It helps to actually be here in N.O to read it.
Hey, Jacq63, it's nice to see that you are where you want to be!
I'm reading New Orleans, Mon Amour: Twenty Years of Writing from the City, by Andrei Codrescu, which is a collection of the author's essays on life in NO.
I'm also reading A Death in Brazil by Peter Robb and numerous travel books on Brazil and New Orleans.
I just finished Nine Lives: Mystery, Magic, Death and Life in New Orleans, by Dan Baum and Why New Orleans Matters by Tom Piazza.
All of these books are highly recommended.
Next in line are Gumbo Tales: Finding My Place at the New Orleans Table, by Sara Roahen, which is essentially a culinary tour of NO,
and City of Refuge, a novel about how Hurricane Katrina impacted the lives of several NO residents.
Can you tell I'm going to NO this summer? (my first time!)
I'll be going in August during the Satchmo Summer Fest with my almost 15-year-old son as my sole (and sullen) company, so this should be interesting!
He has entered the mute stage of his adolescence, so hopefully all the music and crowd action will set his soul on fire.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:19 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Re-reading The Travels of Jamie McPheeters. Loved it when I first read it nearly 40 years ago, loving it again.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:21 AM

461 posts, read 796,403 times
Just finished Homer and Langleyby E.L. Doctorow. Very interesting, kind of sad.
On Chesil Beach up next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books