Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 06:47 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,112,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puru View Post
Woodswoman by Anne LaBastille. True accounts of her life spent in the wilderness, building her own cabin and living among nature during the late 1960's. I'm about halfway through and so far I'm loving it! Great description and stories. I've read a lot of books about outdoory things in the local mountains (my favorite places on earth), but it's certainly interesting to read about her adventures in such a setting as a woman during a time when not a lot of women did such things.

I'd recommend it for anyone who likes spending time hiking or other activities in the back woods. She talks about a lot of issues concerning the wildlife from an ecologist's perspective.
Ohhh thanks. I'm putting this on my "to read" list.

I'm currently reading The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver and
Knives at Dawn by Andrew Friedman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 07:22 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,580 times
I started The Help a few days ago and so far, I am loving it. I think its very cleverly written, with the "voices" of the various characters. I can see why this book is so popular. I cant wait to read more..

Old 04-15-2010, 03:00 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,731 times
Finished The Constand Princess by Philippa Gregory. It's as good as The Other Boleyn Girl and The Boleyn Inheritance. 5 out of 5 points from me.

I just picked up a book again I already read 3 years ago. The Bronze Horeseman by Paullina Simons. Heartbreaking and very moving. I'll probably give it 5 points again lol

Old 04-15-2010, 06:25 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,707 times
2 questions for all of the voracious readers out there. Do you work full time (or even part time)? Do you watch T.V.? I LOVE to read, but find myself so busy with other, necessary activities that it is only when I am sick or on vacation that I get to indulge. Usually very tired when I come home from work, and after "at home" chores, find myself being lazy and turning on the T.V. rather than picking up a book.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:00 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
I work full time and read mostly at night before bed. We rarely watch television. Now that the days are longer I have less time to read because I spend more time working in the yard in the evenings.

I'm reading Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore. I've been on a Moore kick for a while now. This book is about a Crow Indian man who left the rez after killing a police office when he was 15 and reinvented a life for himself in California. Now Old Man Coyote is appearing and wreaking havoc. Not as funny as some of Moore's later stuff, but still interesting and entertaining.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:37 PM

891 posts, read 3,052,745 times
I just finished Little Bee. Absolutely loved it.
I work full time and read in bed at night. I have gotten to the point in life that if a book doesn't grab me right away I don't feel compelled to finish it. I literally picked up Little Bee and didn't put it down until I finished it.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:40 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,580 times
I work full time but my job allows free time between busy times. Its ideal for an avid reader.

I guess I really don't understand people who DON'T like to read....and of course, I know there are many people out there who fall into that catagory...but reading to me is my escape, my "other world" and my relaxation.

I feel blessed that my Mom instilled in me the love of reading...she loved it and so do I.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:00 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
2 questions for all of the voracious readers out there. Do you work full time (or even part time)? Do you watch T.V.? I LOVE to read, but find myself so busy with other, necessary activities that it is only when I am sick or on vacation that I get to indulge. Usually very tired when I come home from work, and after "at home" chores, find myself being lazy and turning on the T.V. rather than picking up a book.
I work full time, have a 3 year old son and my husband is away at work from Monday through Thursdays. I use every possible minute to take out my books and read a few pages. Usually that's in the evenings when DS is in bed and a few chores are done. I'm no slave of my house and I don't clean every single minute. Even when I snuggle up on the sofa with DS to watch a little TV I'm reading and he's watching and we're talking in between. When I go to bed at night, I read and I've the habit of an after-lunch break of about two hours when DS is asleep at the weekends which I usually use. There's enough time even though the days are so short and 48 hours would be more to my liking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I work full time but my job allows free time between busy times. Its ideal for an avid reader.

I guess I really don't understand people who DON'T like to read....and of course, I know there are many people out there who fall into that catagory...but reading to me is my escape, my "other world" and my relaxation.

I feel blessed that my Mom instilled in me the love of reading...she loved it and so do I.
Same goes here. My mom reads very much and told me stories and read stories to me when I was small. I can't remember my mom not reading and I'm very grateful I got this gift to just fade into another world from her!

Old 04-16-2010, 02:33 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I work part time but with traveling to and from work, it feels like full time! I have two small children who are involved with various sports, friends, after school activities.

I'm in three separate book clubs and usually find time to read two books out of three. So this involvement gives me incentive to stay on top of my reading.

I grew up seeing both my mom and dad reading books and newspapers constantly. After dinner they would both retire to the family room and read books for a few hours while we kids went outside to play. I've always been surrounded by books my entire life and can't imagine life without being involved in a good book. In fact it feels like something major is missing if I'm not reading a good book.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:36 PM

338 posts, read 320,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I started The Help a few days ago and so far, I am loving it. I think its very cleverly written, with the "voices" of the various characters. I can see why this book is so popular. I cant wait to read more..
I've got that in my 'to be read' pile
I just started A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick last night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books