Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 05:29 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,161,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Just finished reading A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Wow. Just, wow.
Great book. If you haven't read The Kite Runner by the same author (Khaled Hosseini) you should. Both of these books are on my best of all time list. You are right - Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 07:31 AM

74 posts, read 72,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Finished Master and Margarita in the original Russian and now on to The Life of Arsenev by Bunin. Having finished the difficult to translate, on to the nearly impossible...
I couldn't get through The Master and Margarita but I know a lot of people who liked it. I'm reading Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell. A little bit slow going as the story unravels gradually, but I like that kind of pace as long as the characters and the dialogue are intriguing. Since 19th century English literature is my thing anyway, I'm really enjoying it.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:01 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
Finished Nikki Sixx's Heroin Diaries... HOW IS HE NOT DEAD? Gives new insight to the word "debauchary". Interesting & insightful. I've looked up on youtube some recent interviews with him, & cannot believe how "normal" he seems now, he must be clean. Good for him.

Thousand Splendid Suns was so beautiful, if I don't have anything else maybe I'll pull it out again.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:10 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,190,902 times
I recently finished "Gift From The Sea" by Anne Morrow. I found it interesting that a book written so long ago was still pretty on target regarding the issues women face finding/making time for their own thoughts. Some of it annoyed me, it's not the normal writing style I would choose, but overall I liked it.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:20 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I finished a book that I would never have heard of if it weren't for this forum: The Giver. Not my cup of tea -- I'm not a fan of fantasy or fantastical -- but I can appreciate that it was an interesting concept and story.

I just started A Death in the Family (by James Agee). This ain't no easy readin'! I'm only on page 25, so I'm hoping that it gets a little less dense. It's autobiographical fiction and I know that I'll see it through to the end -- I just don't want to end up resenting it!

Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
About to start Tim O'Brien's "In the Lake of the Woods".

Just finished Tom Perrotta's "Little Children", which I thought was mostly disappointing. I like his take on human nature, but there weren't really any characters in the story to whom I cared what happened. (Trying not to end a sentence with a preposition there.)

Old 09-23-2011, 12:38 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
Catfish Alley.....By, Lynne Bryant
Just happened upon it while scanning the library shelves, hoping for something to strike my fancy. A bit on the lines of, The Help, but deals more with friendships personal growth that develop along the way. Quite the page turner and tear jerking moments.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:54 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I'm back to my old problem again, I think.

I tried to read A Death in the Family. Either the writing is very dense (it is) or my brain is too dense right now (a possibility), but it just wasn't working for me. I've put it away for another time.

Then I got to page 6 (!!!) of The Magicians and got scared that it was going to be fantasy. I don't *do* fantasy. But I think this book is fantastical, and I don't want to be stuck on a plane this weekend with a book that's not working for me. That said, I haven't tossed it in the Goodwill pile -- I really do want to give it a fair go -- so I've put that one away for another time too. Convince me that it's a good book, if you've read it?

So now here I am with a pile of books... and I've chosen to take Never Let Me Go on the plane. I think it's a little sci-fi (totally not my thing) or fantastical (again?!?!) but it got SUCH good reviews (from the New York Times AND from Ketabcha!), I feel like it's worth a shot. And, being stuck on a plane, it's not like I can just reach over and grab another book, so I'll be able to give it my all. Unless someone sitting next to me is reading something that looks interesting...

Maybe I should bring my Kindle? No. I'll just spend the entire time on the plane downloading free classics that I'll never, ever read. Woe...

Old 09-24-2011, 09:58 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
So now here I am with a pile of books... and I've chosen to take Never Let Me Go on the plane. I think it's a little sci-fi (totally not my thing) or fantastical (again?!?!) but it got SUCH good reviews (from the New York Times AND from Ketabcha!), I feel like it's worth a shot. And, being stuck on a plane, it's not like I can just reach over and grab another book, so I'll be able to give it my all. Unless someone sitting next to me is reading something that looks interesting...
Never Let Me Go is a nice book but I expected more, maybe because the reviews, as you say, were amazing. That also happens to me when I read a new Murakami's novel and most other current narrative. I should probably stop reading reviews altogether lol.

By the way, the film based on the novel (I'm talking about Never Let Me Go again) is good too, but I had the same problem I had with the book: it left me a little cold because I expected more.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:11 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Default Cleopatra: a life By Stacy Schiff

I cannot believe I didn't post this book before now, because I loved it when I read it and couldn't say enough good things about it.

I bring it up now because I just listened to the author's interview during a KQED podcast, dated 9/12, and found her to be articulate and engaging as an interviewee as well.

I recommend the book AND the podcast, and plan to look for her other books now, too.

Podcast link: 'Cleopatra: A Life': Forum | KQED Public Media for Northern CA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books