Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2015, 05:09 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,340,809 times

Advertisements

My husband is bored out of his mind while recovering from surgery so I told him I would drive him to the lake house in Florida. I am packing up my books and getting ready for the road trip. I will be reading these books:

I won an audio book and received it just in time for the drive:
If I Could Turn Back Time by Beth Harbison. I don't think it will be anything great….just another take on a story line that has been done many times…but it should be entertaining.
"Thirty-seven year old Ramie Phillips has led a very successful life. She made her fortune and now she hob nobs with the very rich and occasionally the semi-famous, and she enjoys luxuries she only dreamed of as a middle-class kid growing up in Potomac, Maryland. But despite it all, she can't ignore the fact that she isn't necessarily happy. In fact, lately Ramie has begun to feel more than a little empty.

On a boat with friends off the Florida coast, she tries to fight her feelings of discontent with steel will and hard liquor. No one even notices as she gets up and goes to the diving board and dives off...

Suddenly Ramie is waking up, straining to understand a voice calling in the distance...It's her mother: "Wake up! You're going to be late for school again. I'm not writing a note this time..."

Ramie finds herself back on the eve of her eighteenth birthday, with a second chance to see the people she's lost and change the choices she regrets. How did she get back here? Has she gone off the deep end? Is she really back in time? Above all, she'll have to answer the question that no one else can: What it is that she really wants from the past, and for her future?"

I also won The Truth According To Us which I need to read.

Then I have 3 July books that I need to start:
The Apprentice by Tess Gerritsen.

A Heartbeat Away by Harry Kraus which was a kindle freebie.
"When a brilliant surgeon undergoes a heart transplant, her life transforms as she begins experiencing memories of a murder she never witnessed. The residents worship her. Nurses step out of her way. Her colleagues respect and sometimes even fear her. But surgeon Tori Taylor never expected to end up on this side of the operating table. Now she has a new heart. This life that was formerly controlled and predictable is now chaotic. Dr. Taylor had famously protected herself from love or commitment, but her walls are beginning to crumble. And strangest of all, memories surface that will take her on a journey out of the operating room and into a murder investigation. Where there once was a heart of stone, there is a heart of flesh. And there is no going back."

and
Whispers in Autumn another kindle freebie by Trisha Leigh
"In 2015, a race of alien Others conquered Earth. They enslaved humanity not by force, but through an aggressive mind control that turned people into contented, unquestioning robots.

Except sixteen-year-old Althea isn’t content at all, and she doesn’t need the mysterious note inside her locket to tell her she’s Something Else. It also warns her to trust no one, so she hides the pieces that make her different, even though it means being alone.

Then she meets Lucas, everything changes.

Althea and Lucas are immune to the alien mind control, and together they search for the reason why. What they uncover is a stunning truth the Others never anticipated, one with the potential to free the brainwashed human race.

It’s not who they are that makes them special, but what.

And what they are is a threat. One the Others are determined to eliminate for good."

I will be taking a few more books just in case we stay longer than planned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 06:08 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,827,961 times
Oh wow what a bunch of "fails" I've had! Will be taking four back to the library unfinished today!

1)The first is a Kindle library book,so I don't have to pack it,at least.~In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette by Hampton Sides Some Amazon reviewers advised skipping to page 137-150 to avoid all the tediously boring filler.I started skimming soon after reading,but even though I skimmed to page 188,I never did find this book engaging enough to interest me,so I gave up at that point.The only thing interesting in the whole book, to me, was the small part about the 1876 World's Fair in Philadelphia and some of the exhibits mentioned.

This book is just too full of info that is boring and has nothing to do with the expedition. zzzzzzzz!

I would instead recommend ~Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing for a much more interesting and gripping,arctic adventure-survival story.

2)The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien I could not get into this for the same reason that I don't read books set in Russia or Iceland....because I can't even pronounce the names! Plus, it reads like he used the bible for an outline for this book!

3)The Martian:A Novel by Andy Weir What a total 'Pile'! Like reading a scrip for PORKYS!

The protagonist who totally disgusted me and I hated.... talks like a vulgar-mouthed juvenile! Countless "F" Bombs and do you really want to read all about this guy's "#2"? I mean literally all about his "#2" 101![censor wouldn't accept the word,lol!] How he composts it, measures it,how it smells, ad nauseum, for his plans to use it as a growing medium for the few seeds he has,which BTW he says are only seeds for grass and ferns! Does he plan to eat those?I have no idea because I sure wasn't going to continue reading this crap [lol] to find out!

No way on earth do I have any interest at all in seeing the movie that is being made,based on this book!

I thought the premise sounded great~ an astronaut left stranded in space, and that it would be a harrowing tale of survival, instead it's a profile of an unlikeable smart-ass wise-cracking buffoon, who I would want to see die!

4)Storm Front:A Novel of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher Gruesome gore and ludicrous death scene with couple in rigor mortis in sexual position, YEAH LIKE THAT'S BELIEVABLE!That was the end of my reading this garbage!

Don't plan to try anymore of this series.

So after wading in all that muck, I needed a breath of fresh air and am now relieved to be reading
another Amish fiction~When the Morning Comes (Sisters of the Quilt #2)by Cindy Woodsmall
The second book in the series.

Hey Lisa I also have the Kindle freebie- Whispers In Autumn to read!Hope you and hubby enjoy your Florida visit.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 07-21-2015 at 06:50 AM..

Old 07-21-2015, 07:05 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,773,406 times
Toni Morrison's Jazz

and

Everest: The West Ridge, by Thomas Hornbein

Old 07-21-2015, 11:07 AM

7,263 posts, read 9,273,145 times
I have read two more of Laura Moriarty's books. I think she writes a bit like Jodi Piccoult, except maybe a bit more literary. Have you ever read a book where you felt the writer was writing about YOU? I read While I'm Falling and there were lawyers in it, and even an old dog, and I could completely see myself behaving as the mother in that book. Then I read the sequel to The Centre of Everything. I enjoyed it because I like Moriarty's voice, but I think it was more of a three than a five.

Not sure what I am reading next. I have some work to get done and an impatient, young heeler dog who owns me. I'll have to get permission from her first.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:26 PM

443 posts, read 435,351 times
I don't think I've read any books by Moriarty but I keep hearing her name. I guess I'll have to check her out.

I'm currently reading "Game of Thrones" (I've never seen the show) and I'm surprisingly addicted. I need to line up the rest of series at the library so I can hammer them out.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:45 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,417,617 times
Rock with Wings - Anne Hillerman.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:50 PM

4,032 posts, read 2,110,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Yup, I enjoyed The Daylight Marriage too. I wrote about it here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/39977492-post14976.html

By the way, I started The Birthdays. I don't think that I got through the first chapter. Your mileage may vary, but I thought it was a dud.

Dawn, not only did I miss your original post, I didn't catch any of the things you did! You have quite the eye---impressive! But even with those issues, I still really enjoyed the book.

Now I have started a book that seems promising in the first 20 pages. The problem is that it is loosely based on the Amanda Knox case. I already read another book like this. Is this going to be a whole new genre? But it does seem well-written.

Abroad by Katie Crouch

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/037...f_rd_i=desktop

Old 07-21-2015, 03:21 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,340,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
3)The Martian:A Novel by Andy Weir What a total 'Pile'! Like reading a scrip for PORKYS!

The protagonist who totally disgusted me and I hated.... talks like a vulgar-mouthed juvenile! Countless "F" Bombs and do you really want to read all about this guy's "#2"? I mean literally all about his "#2" 101![censor wouldn't accept the word,lol!] How he composts it, measures it,how it smells, ad nauseum, for his plans to use it as a growing medium for the few seeds he has,which BTW he says are only seeds for grass and ferns! Does he plan to eat those?I have no idea because I sure wasn't going to continue reading this crap [lol] to find out!

No way on earth do I have any interest at all in seeing the movie that is being made,based on this book!

I thought the premise sounded great~ an astronaut left stranded in space, and that it would be a harrowing tale of survival, instead it's a profile of an unlikeable smart-ass wise-cracking buffoon, who I would want to see die!

Hey Lisa I also have the Kindle freebie- Whispers In Autumn to read!Hope you and hubby enjoy your Florida visit.

Aww that stinks that you have been on a bad streak. I kind of thought you might not have liked The Martian. Lots of sarcasm(which I liked, lol) and yes the F bombs. Oh well…too many others out there for you to read something you don't like

Thanks…I'm sure I will be hibernating from the heat, lol. I do have to repair the garage soffett with Mike directing me since he cannot do it. Oh joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I have read two more of Laura Moriarty's books. I think she writes a bit like Jodi Piccoult, except maybe a bit more literary. Have you ever read a book where you felt the writer was writing about YOU? I read While I'm Falling and there were lawyers in it, and even an old dog, and I could completely see myself behaving as the mother in that book. Then I read the sequel to The Centre of Everything. I enjoyed it because I like Moriarty's voice, but I think it was more of a three than a five.

Not sure what I am reading next. I have some work to get done and an impatient, young heeler dog who owns me. I'll have to get permission from her first.
Thanks for that new name. I have never read any of her books. I got her confused with Liane Moriarty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post
I don't think I've read any books by Moriarty but I keep hearing her name. I guess I'll have to check her out.
I have read 3 books by Liane Moriarty. She has been fairly popular these past couple of years.

Time to load up…see you all later

Old 07-21-2015, 06:38 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,273,111 times
I started a kindle freebie that Lisa mentioned earlier today. Whispers in Autumn by Trisha Leigh.

It's a YA book and it's also sci-fi. I'm totally enjoying it. From time to time I really enjoy YA books. The Harry Potter series comes to mind.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:28 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,956,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Dawn, not only did I miss your original post, I didn't catch any of the things you did! You have quite the eye---impressive! But even with those issues, I still really enjoyed the book.
I'm an editor for a huge tech company (you know them; rhymes with Disco). If I didn't catch things like that, I'd be out of a job and couldn't afford to buy ALL THE BOOKS ON MY DAMN "TO READ" LIST THAT KEEPS GROWING AND GROWING AND GROWING. [catches breath] I'm fine. Really. BUT THERE ARE SO MANY BOOKS! [goes to lie down... and read]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books