Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2020, 10:31 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times

Advertisements

I'm currently reading The Broken Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin, after finishing Book 1 of The Inheritance Trilogy: The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, by the same author. The author has an intriguing take on gods and their liaison and social dynamic with humans, one I haven't seen explored in other books; not in American/UK books or media, at least. The first book centers around the elite class and their totalitarian oligarchy over the other nations and belief systems of the world, and how they have used the gods as (literal) weapons to foist this dictatorship. In the second book, the story shifts to the ordinary denizens, and more focus on the gods' children( whom the author dubbs "godlings") and how one god copes with living amongst mortals in a world that has changed( for better or worse) since his descension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 12:25 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
Currently reading What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty. It's been 5 years since I read one of her books and the style is much as I remembered.
I've only read that one and Big Little Lies and I've been pleasantly surprised. I generally don't like those popular women's fiction books with heavy romantic elements, but I enjoyed both of them. I'll probably read more of her books, although I can see that they are quite similar and a lot of people seemed to find her last one disappointing. (I think Nine Perfect Strangers.)

I just started This Tender Land, and so far I am really liking it a lot.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:30 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I've only read that one and Big Little Lies and I've been pleasantly surprised. I generally don't like those popular women's fiction books with heavy romantic elements, but I enjoyed both of them. I'll probably read more of her books, although I can see that they are quite similar and a lot of people seemed to find her last one disappointing. (I think Nine Perfect Strangers.)

I just started This Tender Land, and so far I am really liking it a lot.

I'm not big on Chick Lit, but I enjoy Liane Moriarity and Celeste Ng.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-28-2020, 02:36 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Just finished "The Music Shop" by Rachel Joyce https://www.amazon.com/Music-Shop-No.../dp/0812996682

This book was pure joy and I highly recommend it! Especially if you are a music lover. I couldn't devour this book fast enough.

Rachel Joyce, you wholeheartedly deserve five stars for this book.

"Classical, rock, jazz, blues, heavy metal, punk...As long as it was on vinyl, there were no taboos. And if you told Frank the kind of thing you wanted, or simply how you felt that day, he had the right track in minutes. It was a knack he had. A gift. He knew what people needed even when they didn't know it themselves.

"Now, why not give this a try?" he'd say, shoving back his wild brown hair. "I've got a feeling. I just think it will work---"
I thoroughly enjoyed Perfect by this author.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:30 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
oh I meant to read Perfect and now ill have to read The Music Shop.
I loved Harold Fry and was beyond total awe of Queenie .
If you have not read The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and then... The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy.(but if you do reverse it's still wonderful). those 2 "companion" books you are in for a treat. I think first should be Harold and then Queenie, but if you read Queenie first it's still wonderful.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:47 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
If you have not read The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and then... The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy.(but if you do reverse it's still wonderful). those 2 "companion" books you are in for a treat. I think first should be Harold and then Queenie, but if you read Queenie first it's still wonderful.
I downloaded Music Shop from my library. I need to finishHarold Fry.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:08 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed Perfect by this author.
Wonderful, can't wait to get to it!

Old 05-29-2020, 10:12 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I'm reading The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy right now and enjoying it. I'm pretty sure I read The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (but really don't remember it) so I will also read or re-read? It might actually be even more enjoyable reading it AFTER The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:32 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Just finishing up China Rich Girlfriend, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-30-2020, 01:36 PM

1,161 posts, read 466,486 times
I am reading Martin Chuzzlewit as part of a coronavirus-lockdown project of reading or re-reading all of Charles Dickens' novels. All are available for free at Project Gutenberg.

I wonder how many people read Dickens anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books