Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2006, 12:29 PM

502 posts, read 2,295,389 times

Advertisements

I know that they are other forums for this but I like the people on this forum. The people on the other forums are so annoying and boring. Then the sites with the people that aren't so boring are more immature then I am! Anyway, I'm currently reading "The Kite Runner" and it's great so far. Below is my list of books I've read recently and yes, I liked them all.
1. Time Traveler's wife (chicklit)
2. Forever by Pete Hamill
3. The Red Tent (chicklit)
4. All of the Harry Potter Books (Loads of fun)
5. Middlesex
6. A Million Little Pieces
7. The 5 People You meet in Heaven
8. Yes, yes - The DaVinci Code
9. Memoirs of a Geisha

My all time Favorite book is Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison. I can go on and on. But the the book I keep going back to over and over again is 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12. I love my kids but they drive me crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2006, 04:37 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I read your #7 and #8 last year, and thoroughly enjoyed both. I'd like to read #9 but I found a list of "must read" classic novels on the internet last winter so I've been working on that. I just finished "Vanity Fair," which was enjoyable. Before that, I read Edith Wharton's "The House of Mirth" and "The Age of Innocence;" Mirth was okay, Innocence was awful. Before that I read Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath" and "East of Eden," both of which were very good but dark. "Vanity Fair" was a refreshing change.

Here is the list I am using:
http://www.sjsu.edu/depts/english/guilt.htm

I haven't chosen my next book yet.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:39 PM

338 posts, read 1,445,102 times
Default A book for fun...

Janet Evonvich start with One for the Money and work your way through to Eleven on Top- she makes me laugh out loud when I read her books!

Old 08-30-2006, 07:08 PM

273 posts, read 1,649,448 times
Default It's travel humor for me.

"In a Sunburned Country" by Bill Bryson.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:15 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,578 times
This is probably the best topic in this whole forum, I'd up your rep by a million if I could Isabella!!!...I can't think of anything more relaxing and entertaining than falling deep into a good book.

1. The 5 People You Meet in Heaven...awesome book, made me bawl my eyes out...if you liked it, then you must read his other one: Tuesdays with Morry, another great book.

2. DaVinci code was phenomenal to say the least, as was D. Brown's other book Angels and Demons...I highly recommend it.

3. Let's see right now I'm doing an Anne Rice run (the Vampire Chronicles) and I'm working my way through what is probably my 100th time doing the Stephen King books (my FAVORITE author) I just finished his Night Shift (again).

Next, I am going to start one I've been meaning to read for about a decade... To Kill a Mockingbird.

4. I also recommend Suzanne's Diary to Nicholas, by James Patterson...major, major tear jerker.

5. If you're into fantasy definitely The Lord of the Rings (all).

6. The Celestine Prophecy and the Tenth Insight by James Redfield (you have to be open minded, they get deep)

7. The Richest Man in Babylon...by George S. Clason (it's fiction about finance...great story while teaching you how to manage money)

8. Lucky Man...autobiography by Michael J. Fox (only book I've ever read that made me laugh and cry at the same time)

9. The President's Vampire...by Robert Schneck (true stories of weird phenomena that have taken place in different parts of the U.S.)

I'll come back with more!!!!

Old 08-30-2006, 08:18 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,578 times
Ps. Another suggestion...some people laugh but it's worth it...check out Oprah's list of books, she recommends some awesome novels!!

Old 08-30-2006, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Ps. Another suggestion...some people laugh but it's worth it...check out Oprah's list of books, she recommends some awesome novels!!
Pixie,

Oprah's book club is nothing to laugh about. Every book that woman has recommended is great.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:02 PM

37 posts, read 393,456 times
Aw come on, nobody has mentioned anything by Anne Tyler, America's best author. Her latest "Digging to America" is right up there with "Accidental Tourist" and "Breathing Lessons". If you like to get drawn into down-to-earth relationships and personalities, nobody does it better.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
This is probably the best topic in this whole forum, I'd up your rep by a million if I could Isabella!!!...I can't think of anything more relaxing and entertaining than falling deep into a good book.

1. The 5 People You Meet in Heaven...awesome book, made me bawl my eyes out...if you liked it, then you must read his other one: Tuesdays with Morry, another great book.

2. DaVinci code was phenomenal to say the least, as was D. Brown's other book Angels and Demons...I highly recommend it.

3. Let's see right now I'm doing an Anne Rice run (the Vampire Chronicles) and I'm working my way through what is probably my 100th time doing the Stephen King books (my FAVORITE author) I just finished his Night Shift (again).

Next, I am going to start one I've been meaning to read for about a decade... To Kill a Mockingbird.

4. I also recommend Suzanne's Diary to Nicholas, by James Patterson...major, major tear jerker.

5. If you're into fantasy definitely The Lord of the Rings (all).

6. The Celestine Prophecy and the Tenth Insight by James Redfield (you have to be open minded, they get deep)

7. The Richest Man in Babylon...by George S. Clason (it's fiction about finance...great story while teaching you how to manage money)

8. Lucky Man...autobiography by Michael J. Fox (only book I've ever read that made me laugh and cry at the same time)

9. The President's Vampire...by Robert Schneck (true stories of weird phenomena that have taken place in different parts of the U.S.)

I'll come back with more!!!!
Ann Rice's Vampire books are the best! Although, not as scary as a Stephen King Book. That man scares the living daylights out of me. Nightmares and Dreamscapes has some really scary stories and the Shinning will give you nightmares for weeks. But the best Stephen King book by far is The Stand.

http://parent-2-parent.com/forum/images/smilies/nature/read.gif (broken link)I have boxes full of books I need to get to and Angels in Demons is one of them. Maybe I'll dig it up since you like it.

By the way, thanks for the comment about upping my reputation by a million points if you could (are you reading this Modshttp://www.eunuch.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/ponder.gif (broken link)). Your comment warmed my heart and brought a tear to my eye.

Last edited by Yac; 08-09-2012 at 07:13 AM..

Old 08-30-2006, 10:54 PM

95 posts, read 646,909 times
I finished James Patterson's 4th of July a couple weeks ago and it was great! I've read several of his books and have a hard time putting them down.

Isabella, check out Stephen King's The Cell. I get a little irritated with his books because he doesn't tell me enough about why something happens, but this was pretty good.

I also read Harlan Coben's Promise Me last week and it was good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books