U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:45 AM

4,800 posts, read 11,146,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Just about anything from James Patterson, Beware though he's addicting..
I like what I have read of his, but I haven't read any of the newer books he has co-written with other authors. Have you? Did you notice any difference in quality?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 08:52 AM

13,136 posts, read 25,960,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. Not what I've read lately, but a good "beach" book.
I've tried so many many times to get into that book and just can't. None of her books for that matter..too too wordy yet my mother loves them..to each his own I guess.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:25 PM

18 posts, read 33,192 times
Summer reading? Anything by Lorna Landvik..Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons...great stuff. Patty Jane's House of Curl..the list goes on. Head to your local library and find her on the shelf.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:05 AM

12 posts, read 22,597 times
Default More summer books

Just finished "The Help" what a great book about black maids in the 60s and the good and bad treatment received while working for white families in Mississippi. The movie will come out later this year.

Also finished "Year of Wonder", in 1666 a small English village separated itself from the outside world to overcome the plague which had befallen its people.

Now reading: "Nine Parts of Desire", - the Hidden World of Islamic Women.
An awsome read if you are a woman. How these gals were raised and expected to behave and dress, etc.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:53 AM

4,033 posts, read 9,158,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I've tried so many many times to get into that book and just can't. None of her books for that matter..too too wordy yet my mother loves them..to each his own I guess.
It isn't the writing that is very good but the story that I think intrigues most people. It has some really great plot twists.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:58 AM

17,336 posts, read 28,940,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
It isn't the writing that is very good but the story that I think intrigues most people. It has some really great plot twists.
Agreed! I love Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel, which were the only two of hers that I read.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:10 AM

995 posts, read 965,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I like what I have read of his, but I haven't read any of the newer books he has co-written with other authors. Have you? Did you notice any difference in quality?
I've read all of the Alec Cross books. The first half dozen were the best in my opinion.
The books he co-authors on...meh. The print is huge in each book, the stories seem to get shorter with each one.
My husband, who is a voracious mystery/suspense reader, doesn't even bother with them any longer.

An author I've become addicted to is Lee Child. His Jack Reacher is welcome to wander through my town and save the country any day.
The first book in the series is Killing Floor. You don't have to read them in order, it helps with the first few tho.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:46 AM

969 posts, read 597,711 times
If anyone likes history here are two books you should read....

Fall of the Giants by Ken Folett it is a 1st of a trilogy . Quick synopsis it takes place during WW 1 and the Russian Revolution . It is about 1,000 pages but you can't put the book down. Looking forward to the other sequences.

Sea Captains Wife by Martha Hodes I read this awhile ago. About love, race and war...

Any good history book recommendations?

Old 08-11-2011, 07:59 AM

3,131 posts, read 10,820,190 times
Thinking of some additional authors you might want to check out for good page turners, Steve Berry, James Rollins, Brad Thor..his political thrillers are excellent. start at the beginning to get a good feel for the character. Same with James Rollins, read the sigma force series and start at the beginning! If you enjoy generational type books. check out Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer. it is an older book, but worth it.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:28 PM

27,090 posts, read 7,692,796 times
Oh yes I noticed and immediately quit reading Patterson. Too bad, really enjoyed Beach Music and others.

David Baldacci writes a good thriller with some politics and intelligence issues. Newest, I think is:
Hell's Corner.

And for fun: read any Carl Hiaasen...way too funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or