U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:48 PM

995 posts, read 964,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

And for fun: read any Carl Hiaasen...way too funny!
If you like Hiaasen, try Tim Dorsey. He's completely insane.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 10:17 PM

4,800 posts, read 11,136,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh yes I noticed and immediately quit reading Patterson. Too bad, really enjoyed Beach Music and others.

David Baldacci writes a good thriller with some politics and intelligence issues. Newest, I think is:
Hell's Corner.

And for fun: read any Carl Hiaasen...way too funny!
I may check out beach music. haven't read that one. And I will study up on Hiaasen. never read him

Old 08-26-2011, 07:21 AM

12 posts, read 22,590 times
Default Books on History

SARUM, the History of England, by Rutherford - starts at the ice age, really fun to read and educational.

Any good history book recommendations?[/quote]

Old 08-27-2011, 01:49 PM

220 posts, read 235,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopalcholic View Post

Any good history book recommendations?
A history book that's great for summer is Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James Swanson. It's a page turner - who would have thought! He also has a sequel, Bloody Crimes: The Funeral of Abraham Lincoln and the Chase for Jefferson Davis, which is supposed to be just as much of a page turner. I have a copy at home but haven't gotten to it yet, though, but I am definitely looking forward to it when I do!

Old 08-27-2011, 01:57 PM

969 posts, read 597,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
A history book that's great for summer is Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James Swanson. It's a page turner - who would have thought! He also has a sequel, Bloody Crimes: The Funeral of Abraham Lincoln and the Chase for Jefferson Davis, which is supposed to be just as much of a page turner. I have a copy at home but haven't gotten to it yet, though, but I am definitely looking forward to it when I do!

They sound good to me , will check them out. Thanks!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:16 PM

221 posts, read 1,088,660 times
Have you discovered the Lisa Lutz (au) Spellman family series?

I hadn't read them, then just saw the new one (4th in the series) in the library, checked it out, and read it in one evening laughing hysterically the whole time.

I went back to the library and got the first three. The Spellman Files, Curse of the Spellmans, Revenge of the Spellmans . . . I'm half way through the 3rd now. They are sort of mysteries, but are really character driven comedies.

All are fast reading, funny, and well written.

But wear your bifocals so you can read the footnotes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or