U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 09:44 PM

15,894 posts, read 16,018,353 times

Advertisements

The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist

The Wall by Marlen Haushofer
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 01:22 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,743,810 times
Caves of Steel, or just about anything else by Isaac Asimov.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:36 AM

239 posts, read 256,264 times
Well as we all know the movies usually do NOT do justice to the books, but just the same I would like the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society to be made into a movie.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:54 AM

24,271 posts, read 26,205,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Would love to see Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell made into a movie - I think there's been talk for a long time ....
I loved that book, and it would make a great film, or even a BBC-type miniseries.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:01 AM

64,592 posts, read 60,996,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
I thought it would be fun to discuss favorite tomes that have a massive following, but for whatever reason have not been turned into movies yet.

For me it's "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon. I looooveee this series of books and have re-read many times.

The books are fascinating, well researched, humorous, sexy, romantic and heartbreaking. They area little hard to classify in any one genre -- part historical fiction, part sci-fi, part romance. I guess!

I suppose that's why no movie has been made -- too long and complex!

Let's hear yours!
I am going to have read Outlander. It keeps popping up in conversations by people who have loved it. I was hesitant to read it because while I love historical fiction, I'm not big on the sci-fi part of it, but hey, it doesn't hurt to expand one's horizons.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:03 AM

64,592 posts, read 60,996,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
One of my all time favorite books is "The Far Pavillions" - It's been made into a movie (which I've not seen) but the reviews were terrible. I'd love to see it made into a good movie...

Would love to see Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell made into a movie - I think there's been talk for a long time ....
I didn't see the movie but I remember the ads with pictures of Amy Irving plastered with brown makeup to make her look Indian and that was sort of disturbing.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:22 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,984,502 times
I forgot to mention, "Night Without End." I have no idea why there is not a bigger interest in Alistair MacLean's novels, they're very thrilling.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:24 PM

10,452 posts, read 11,162,808 times
I usually hate stories about blind people but I love this one:

Amazon.com: The Blind Doctor: The Jacob Bolotin Story (9781883423131): Rosalind Perman: Books

Old 07-02-2011, 04:38 PM

4,196 posts, read 5,563,959 times
Peirs Anthony's Incarnations Of Immortality.

The story would put the freeking Vampire and little miss Bella to shame.
I like the books, the movie's kinda just...

Old 08-21-2017, 12:23 AM

6,140 posts, read 5,764,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I would love to see the Mitford series made into a movie...or two.
Oh my GOSH! Did anyone see that appalling version of At Home in Mitford on the Hallmark Chanel last night??? It was an absolute travesty!

I had always thought the Mitford series of books by Jan Karon would make a GREAT television series, like the Doc Martin shows on PBS. Never happened, but when I saw the tv movie At Home in Mitford advertised I was so excited!

It was TERRIBLE! They turned it into a sappy romance, with Cynthia as the main character. It was really badly written (the teleplay).

I wonder if Jan Karon approved this? I hope she at least made big bucks off of it.

And I hope sometime in the future another movie of these books is made that sticks with the original intent and tone of the books.

(PS - in searching for a thread about Mitford I came across this one, which seemed to apply to what I wanted to talk about. Interesting that the first post was about Outlander! A lot of people love the current tv series about these books. I haven't watched them, so don't have an opinion about them.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or