Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 04:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

I haven't been to a public library in a long time, because I depend on my nearby college library, which here make nearly all access open to the general public. I've been told that the public library here has a very tiny fiction section, and has a jobber somewhere that provides the current best sellers, which get sent back when space is needed on the shelf for newer titles. But I haven't been there to verify that.

In recent years, libraries have gradually moved from "reading" places to "intellectual activity", heavily dominated by non-book exposure.

One very sad library story, I was living in a Missouri town that had what I suppose was a very adequate library in an old building downtown, kitty-corner from a drug store that still made thick malts out of dairy products on a green Hamilton Beach machine. The city built a new state-of-the-art library building, about a half-mile out of town, on a highway that was unsafe for children to walk or bike on, and no alternate street access to it. So the only way kids could get to the library was for their moms to drive them there in the SUV. That was hailed as progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 06:47 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,023 times
When the money was rolling in, I just bought whatever books struck my fancy. Now that things are a little tougher, I went back to the library after an absence of about 15 years. I, too, was astounded. All that you mentioned plus free computer classes, book clubs, seminars, etc. They really stepped up their game to compete.

And it was full of people, which was a joy to see. The added bonus is all the money I saved on so-so books that would have just piled up in a closet. And if I absolutely love a book, I just go to Half Price Books and buy it. I rarely pay full price to buy a book anymore unless it's with a gift certificate.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:49 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I haven't been to a library for ~10 years. Last week I went to my town's brand new Lewis Library and Technology Center. Wow, stairs AND an elevator, for those days when my bionic knees won't cooperate. They even have a little coffee shop in the atrium, complete with outdoor seating. I can see myself sitting there reading a novel, sipping a mocha chanoka in the Springtime sun, with the smell of orange blossoms perfuming the air. They landscaped the grounds with orange trees. I like that. I'm all about the citrus.

Gone are the card files. They've been replaced by Dells that tell you which branches have the book for which you're searching, and how many copies are in the stacks. They still use the Dewey Decimal System in the stacks. YAY! Something familiar.

Self-checkout is offered, as well as library lady assisted checkout. Ever the geek, I confidently strode up to the self-checkout area and quickly discovered I was out of my element. Apparently I don't know where to hold the book so the barcode reader can scan it; I actually yanked the reader thing out of its cradle and scanned the barcode while pulling the trigger. It has a trigger, so doesn't that mean one should pull it? NO, according to Library Lady. It doesn't even need to come out of the holder, and she didn't know why the trigger was even there. Leave it to me to complicate something apparently simple.

I had NO CLUE I was supposed to then put my selections on a pad thing that scans something else and maybe even weighs the books, for all I know. I had to tuck my tail and ask the library lady to come BACK over and instruct me. Jeeze. I was a royal PITA.

There's a printer that prints a receipt for the books, and overdue fines are now 50 cents a day. I seem to remember 2 cents a day once upon a time. I can conveniently call in and extend for another week or two, can't remember exactly how much time, but I won't need to because I'm still a very fast reader.

Welcome to 2011, Jack.

Coffee and a read, anyone?
Put the word out to Borders customers, since Borders is now "history"... ; ) - they can lounge about at the library now....

I miss the old library cards where you could go look at your signature from 10 years ago... Do you remember when you had to start using "script" instead of printing? The librarian forced me to stop printing my name : /

And Jack.... about coffee shops being a mainstay for Americans... I hear that churches sell coffee now & allow it to be brought into services during "worship" - what the heck? I thought going to church was NOT supposed to be comfortable.... lol!

Old 07-27-2011, 01:41 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I find most of the innovations in libraries, especially the technological ones, distasteful, but what bothers me most about your post is that their innovations left you feeling dmb or inadequate.

For the record, I've never yet seen a good computer catalogue, and remember that everything that is automated means they're dumping more staff.
Really? I have pretty much lived in libraries since I was a tiny tot (especially bc I grew up in a country with no tv)...and I think our library system's computerized catalogues are fantastic.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:08 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,146 times
I have to agree with preferring computerized catalogs, which are really easy to use, with the ability to search by any keyword, get instant results, see which libraries have your book, and if it is in or checked out - it is just amazing. When I want to find a book when I'm at home, I use New Hampshire's online card catalog that covers all libraries in the state, including college libraries, it's just so fast and convenient.

I also use Worldcat all the time, it shows me what books, DVDs, CDs, and articles are available in, well, the world. I just did a quick search for a rare book I am interested in, and found the closest available in a college 11 miles from me, and the farthest in Perth, Australia, 11,500 miles from me - while I probably won't be skipping off to Perth anytime soon, it shows several locations in reasonable driving distance to locate that rare book. That is progress that I like and find extremely helpful and superior to the paper card catalog of the past (although I do miss the sensory experience I had using the old card catalog). Worldcat: WorldCat.org: The World's Largest Library Catalog

I too used to buy whatever book I was interested in, but changes in my financial situation have caused me to use the library like never before, and I would be lost without it. Due to some cognitive changes, I now have to read almost all audiobooks. They are available through New Hampshire's downloadable audiobooks site, and except for if there aren't any copies available, I can download a book any time of the day or night for free. They are also including more and more ebooks too. I see so many people purchasing these books online, when if they simply went and got a library card, they could download many of them for free from their library.

I love my local library, they have lots of interesting activities, speakers, concerts - it is such a valuable resource, and I hope I never lose it.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Local library: All of the racks are metal. My childhood home-town libraries (there were two - a Carnegie then the city built the "new" one) had long rows of wooden shelves. Beautiful. The metal racks make it look like a Costco.

There is a nice porch out front but 6 mos. out of the year no one is out there because of the heat. But there are chairs and tables for nice days. Thumbs up for that.

They have a TON of DVDs. Including pretty much everything made by the British for the telly so I'm liking that.

Lots of magazines in a special magazine room. (What happened to the plastic covers? Too germy?)

Plenty of chairs around the perimeter where you can plug in various electronic devices. Wi-fi up and running.

Because of budget cuts the library has restricted hours. Boo.

Very nice children's section with lots of room for the kids to sit and enjoy story time. They put a sign at the entrance when it's "Children's Hour" to warn any old grouches who may wander in. I kind of like it when it's nice and noisy. Librarys were never boisterous when I was a kid.

For some reason there is a green sky-light in the roof. Yeah. In the desert. There are days I wear sunglasses indoors to read the titles.

There are multiple signs out front warning of rattlesnakes/coyotes/javelinas in the area. If fact you have to walk over the "rattlesnake crossing" to get to the front door. I quit wearing open-toed shoes.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-05-2011 at 02:29 PM..

Old 08-06-2011, 03:34 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
And Jack.... about coffee shops being a mainstay for Americans... I hear that churches sell coffee now & allow it to be brought into services during "worship" - what the heck? I thought going to church was NOT supposed to be comfortable.... lol!
I think those are probably AA meetings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books