U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 05:44 AM

394 posts, read 1,374,170 times

Advertisements

Daniel Sunjata will make an awesome Ranger. I'm not seeing Jason O'Mara as Morelli though. He totally the wrong type! Why would they cast such an obvious Irishman as an Italian? Don't like Katherine Heigl as Stephanie either, I don't find her approachable or quirky enough. Debbie Reynolds should make a good Grandma Mazur (who, incidentally, is my 78-year old father's favorite character in the series *lol*.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 08:56 AM

4,523 posts, read 7,654,593 times
I recently subscribed to NetFlix. I have several TV shows that I am hooked on. The GOOD GUYS is one of my favorites and the two female leads on that show might fill the parts of Stephanie and Lulu. Stephanie Plum could be Jenny Wade if a blond is acceptable. Lulu might be played by Diana Maria Riva. I am in lust with Jenny Wade.

GL2

Old 07-14-2011, 09:12 AM

9,301 posts, read 14,540,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I can't wait to see who they cast for the female characters.
They've already been cast One for the Money (2011) - IMDb

Quote:
Grandma Mazur's part should have been played by Estelle Getty, the mother of the Bea Arthur character on Golden Girls but she has passed on.
I actually thought Betty White would be perfect (she's got that sweet little old lady voice that's hilarious when she says something unexpectedly dirty) but I think Debbie Reynolds will be good too.

Quote:
Queen Latifa has to be Lulu.
No way, she takes herself too seriously. Lulu is pretty out there and I think Queen Latifa would turn her nose up at the part - she has this image of herself which influences the roles she picks and Lulu does not fit into it. Plus, she's just not funny even when she's supposed to be. I've only seen Sherri Shepherd in Everybody Loves Raymond but I think she's perfect for the part - her voice is exactly how I pictured it.

Quote:
Stephanie Plum. Maybe Sandra Bullock?
I think Sandra Bullock is a bit too old by this point. She's 47 and Stephanie is only in her late 20s in the first book (maybe early 30s, I can't remember), isn't she? On the other hand, I think Emma Stone would be ideal for the role but she's a bit too young (23) - closer than Sandra Bullock though. I think Anne Hathaway might have been good and she's just the right age.

A lot of people are complaining about Katherine Heigl - I'm on the fence. Part of me thinks she's too refined for a girl from Trenton (and I'm worried the producers are deliberately taking out a lot of the culture and quirkiness of the story and character). But then as I was reading one of the books lately, Stephanie said something and I thought "I could see Katherine Heigl saying that". So I'm "wait and see" with her but I still think Emma Stone would have been awesome.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:49 PM

2,161 posts, read 4,118,883 times
The books can get pretty repetitive. I liked them though. I love Stephanie's character and found Ranger to be hot! I was always rooting for her to get with him. Can't really see Heigl as Plum though...

Old 07-21-2011, 10:35 AM

701 posts, read 1,580,626 times
Cloris Leachman as Grandma--perfect.

Even though Janet Evanovich is not exactly breaking new ground with every book, her stories are still three times funnier than anything else I've picked up in years.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:27 AM

6,062 posts, read 5,660,725 times
So, has anyone seen One for the Money yet???

Evanovich's books are mind candy for me - I really enjoy them. So 'm so afraid that the story and characters have been ruined by the movie. It seems like spectacularly bad casting all around.

When Janet Evanovich was on The View yesterday she was asked by one of the ladies how Sherry Shepherd did in the movie (Sherry plays Lula), and Janet said something like "Oh, there's just no words to describe!", which I took to be a polite woman's way of saying Sherry was terrible in the movie.

I hardly ever go to current movies at the theaters so I'm counting on others to tell me whether this one has permanently screwed up the Evanovich stories, or if it is ok or even fabulous.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:10 PM

995 posts, read 951,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
So, has anyone seen One for the Money yet???

Evanovich's books are mind candy for me - I really enjoy them. So 'm so afraid that the story and characters have been ruined by the movie. It seems like spectacularly bad casting all around.

When Janet Evanovich was on The View yesterday she was asked by one of the ladies how Sherry Shepherd did in the movie (Sherry plays Lula), and Janet said something like "Oh, there's just no words to describe!", which I took to be a polite woman's way of saying Sherry was terrible in the movie.

I hardly ever go to current movies at the theaters so I'm counting on others to tell me whether this one has permanently screwed up the Evanovich stories, or if it is ok or even fabulous.
It's out Friday! My son and his gf (who I got started on them) are meeting my husband and I for dinner Friday, then the movie. My hubby has read them all, my son...not, but he's stuck with us.

I've worked at various bookstores over the years, and gotten many, many customers in my area hooked on them.
I'm hoping to run into members of this mutual Evanovich fan club when I go to the movie.

It's going to be really cool, since the movie was filmed last year in Pittsburgh, so we're hoping we can recognize some of the areas they filmed in.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:00 AM

14,810 posts, read 14,505,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Looks up "Daniel Sunjata."

Wow! That's how I pictured him! He's got that somewhat frosty, distant look but shrewd in his eyes. Perfect casting, methinks.

Katherine Heigl for Stephanie, not so much. I've always pictured Stephanie as more like Sandra Bullock in Ms. Congeniality.

No thoughts on Jason O'Mara as Morelli. Morelli sounds too much like someone I went to high school with for me to think of a good "type" for him.

Alas, I think the last one I read was six or seven years ago. They did start sounding the same after a while.

The movie opens this week. <puts on "must see" list>

I looked up Daniel Sunjata, too. He looks like a very young OJ Simpson but I think I can get past that.

I bet Debbie Reynolds will be a hoot as Grandma Mazur.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:06 AM

5,209 posts, read 9,494,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
Daniel Sunjata will make an awesome Ranger. I'm not seeing Jason O'Mara as Morelli though. He totally the wrong type! Why would they cast such an obvious Irishman as an Italian? Don't like Katherine Heigl as Stephanie either, I don't find her approachable or quirky enough. Debbie Reynolds should make a good Grandma Mazur (who, incidentally, is my 78-year old father's favorite character in the series *lol*.)
I picture Morelli a little bit differently, too. I don't know who I would put in the role, though. I picture Morelli more along the lines of a young Alec Baldwin.

At any rate, I think the books are a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:30 AM

9,301 posts, read 14,540,234 times
It's not out in the UK until February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books