Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:14 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
Maybe this has been asked before but when did your love of reading start?
Growing up we spent the summer at a cottage on Lake Erie. It was in a tiny town called North East right on the border of PA and NY. We were right on the lake and it was so beautiful. In the summers my dad would not allow a TV. He called it "the one-eyed people eater" You were to be outside enjoying nature, riding your bike, swimming, collecting things, etc.
I remember the big event was going to the library each week to get your books. That started a wonderful lifetime of reading for me. I'm in my 60's now and my dad in his 90's.
When I vacation one of the first things I pack is my book bag of what I want to read that trip. I'm so very thankful for my parents giving me that love and joy of reading.....
Great story........and your father was a prophet before his time!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 06:09 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
Maybe this has been asked before but when did your love of reading start?
Growing up we spent the summer at a cottage on Lake Erie. It was in a tiny town called North East right on the border of PA and NY. We were right on the lake and it was so beautiful. In the summers my dad would not allow a TV. He called it "the one-eyed people eater" You were to be outside enjoying nature, riding your bike, swimming, collecting things, etc.
I remember the big event was going to the library each week to get your books. That started a wonderful lifetime of reading for me. I'm in my 60's now and my dad in his 90's.
When I vacation one of the first things I pack is my book bag of what I want to read that trip. I'm so very thankful for my parents giving me that love and joy of reading.....
Wow... you captured that time so vibrantly. I almost feel like I'm there. Beautiful.

I don't remember a time that I didn't love books. There's a photo of me from when I was about two or three years old (I'm 46 now). I'm sitting in a huge chair (well, maybe the chair wasn't huge -- I was tiny), holding a book in front of me. I'm totally engrossed in the book and don't seem to have any idea that I'm being photographed.

My aunt once said to me -- and I'll never forget this -- "you can never be lonely when you have a book to read." Truer words were never spoken.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:45 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,204 times
Oh Weekly Reader...my what memories that brings. Sort of like being tranported back in time when I read some of these posts.
Now having my grand daughters on my lap, many times two at a time, and reading them books is such a joy. I have several bookcases just for them. They run to get the one they want me to read. I love it when they say, "Grandma I'll read this one to you" and then they make up the story when they forget what it says...so precious and just warms my heart to the core.
With this age of computers, games, Ipods and phones I want them to be able to sit and relax, dream and learn a slow thoughtful way that will bring them joy. Our world just seems in such a hurry sometimes and I wonder for what?

Old 06-20-2011, 01:24 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,261,770 times
My poor mother claims I came out of the womb with a book in my hand. I don't remember not reading. I started with comic books - Archie, Superman, Batman, Richie Rich, Casper, etc. In grade school, I subscribed to Highlights - what a great kids' magazine. I was going to grow up to be Nancy Drew - not sure what happened there. Mom said to me not too long ago, "I never had to worry about where you were - you were always in a corner, reading a book."

LOL...I remember as a younger teenager, finding a copy of my g'father's Valley of the Dolls and reading that. When my mother discovered all the sex in it.....lookout, Pops! In fact, thinking back on it, I'm sure I got my love of print from him. He always was reading the Detective magazines, Look, Life, and he would subscribe to some of the series that Life Mag. put out. Wow...thanks for bringing that to my consciousness. I always wondered where I got it from.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:30 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Loved Archie and Veronica and that weirdo who wore the turtleneck up all the time...? forgot his name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
My poor mother claims I came out of the womb with a book in my hand. I don't remember not reading. I started with comic books - Archie, Superman, Batman, Richie Rich, Casper, etc. In grade school, I subscribed to Highlights - what a great kids' magazine. I was going to grow up to be Nancy Drew - not sure what happened there. Mom said to me not too long ago, "I never had to worry about where you were - you were always in a corner, reading a book."

LOL...I remember as a younger teenager, finding a copy of my g'father's Valley of the Dolls and reading that. When my mother discovered all the sex in it.....lookout, Pops! In fact, thinking back on it, I'm sure I got my love of print from him. He always was reading the Detective magazines, Look, Life, and he would subscribe to some of the series that Life Mag. put out. Wow...thanks for bringing that to my consciousness. I always wondered where I got it from.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:50 PM

85 posts, read 202,261 times
Since before I could even read - my mother would always read Dr. Suess and other children's books to me before I could read properly, and I've loved books ever since. I often read 3-5 books a week nowadays.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:11 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
It seems that the majority of us have our parents to thank for our love of reading.

My parents were readers and they raised me to be one, too. I am forever thankful to them for that and many other things, too.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:22 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
It seems that the majority of us have our parents to thank for our love of reading.

My parents were readers and they raised me to be one, too. I am forever thankful to them for that and many other things, too.
I think parents reading around their children alone makes a big difference for the children. It harvests a love of reading, learning and the ability to read copious amounts which is very important for many careers and educational institutions. I wonder what so many people in the USA would be like if their parents had spent 30 to 60 minutes a day reading with them instead of encouraging them to watch junk shows like American Idol and be couch potatoes.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Loved Archie and Veronica and that weirdo who wore the turtleneck up all the time...? forgot his name!
Oooo...the one with the crown-shaped hat! Let me think on that.... Oh, and don't forget Betty!

Old 06-20-2011, 07:09 PM

Ya gotta love search engines! Jughead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books