Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 10:28 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I miss the old-style Reader's Digest. The one with artwork on the back and where the monthly WordPower quiz was actually somewhat challenging. They revamped the magazine a few years back and it seems really dumbed down. I stopped subscribing shortly after that. It was always bit nostalgic to have around the house....
I agree with this. There used to be some really good, informative articles in Reader's Digest.

If anyone is looking for a good magazine with articles that inform and make you think, I recommend The Sun Magazine. No advertisements--it's supported by donations and subscriptions/sales only.

http://www.thesunmagazine.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 08:16 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,235 times
YM- Young and Modern

Old 07-03-2011, 08:12 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
80s pop magazine OKEJ.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:44 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
... I also loved subscribing to the weekly Saturday Review, when Norman Cousins had built it into a serious literary success....
Yes, I miss it too. It was a fine magazine.

There was an English magazine called Country Life that I enjoyed very much too, staid by U.S. standards but I liked it very much. I think it is still around but the last time I saw it, a good number of years ago, it had become dumbed down and glitzed up.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:20 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I miss Discover magazine, the way it was before Bob Guccione took it over, and it became all flashy and less scientific. What do you expect when you put a T&A guy in charge of a science magazine?

I also miss the small TV Guide with the listings of all the shows every time of the day. A few years ago, they made it a larger-size magazine that's nearly all articles & features, and not so much about TV listings. If I'd wanted People magazine, I'd have bought People magazine.
If I'm ever home on a weekday, I don't want some grid telling me what's "typically" on every weekday; I want to know what's actually on--if it's a show, what episode, and if it's a movie, exactly what movie it is. If I'd wanted some generic list of what "might" be on, I'd look at the stupid free listings in the newspaper.

Sure I sometimes check the TV Guide website, but it's a pain, with all the pop-ups, so now I pretty much just flip through the channels like a guy.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I like to buy old magazines at garage and estate sales. I have a couple of Life magazines and a Good Housekeeping and a Time magazine. Some of the articles are still great to read, and the advertisements are both funny and sad. Example: An airline ad in a 1969 Life magazine with photos of white and Asian airline stewardesses proclaiming that on their flights to "the Orient", they now have Americans girls to make you feel at home and Orientals to get you where you're going. I showed this to my 19-year-old daughter. She was horrified...
I can't see a thing to be horrified about. But I find the word "Orient" quaint now, though I remember the term Orient being used by Japanese people at Osaka Shoshen Kaisha Co. in NYC in the 1960s. Aside from Occidental Petroleum never heard that term used.

Qatar airlines, for one, still stresses similar imagery and appeal: the familiar, the exotic in its flight crews in its TV commercials in Europe. There are other Gulf airlines that do the same. I think the fact that these places rely so much on Europeans, especially Brits, for shopping tourism makes the pitch quite understandable.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:25 PM

I think my first regular magazine reading was the family subscription to Colliers. I gave a book report on this particular issue in the 7th or 8th grade.
Attached Thumbnails
Magazines that you miss.-colliers_10_27_1951_cvr.jpg  

Old 07-07-2011, 10:49 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I miss the old-style Reader's Digest. The one with artwork on the back and where the monthly WordPower quiz was actually somewhat challenging. They revamped the magazine a few years back and it seems really dumbed down. I stopped subscribing shortly after that. It was always bit nostalgic to have around the house....
The Reader's Digest was one of the magazines my Grandmother subscribed to. I must have learned how to read from them. The Humor In Uniform and other joke sections were my favorites. Maybe WORD POWER wasn't dumbed down but you had just smartened up from reading it all those years. I have heard that said about JEOPARDY also.

GL2

Old 07-10-2011, 08:04 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I can't see a thing to be horrified about. But I find the word "Orient" quaint now, though I remember the term Orient being used by Japanese people at Osaka Shoshen Kaisha Co. in NYC in the 1960s. Aside from Occidental Petroleum never heard that term used.

Qatar airlines, for one, still stresses similar imagery and appeal: the familiar, the exotic in its flight crews in its TV commercials in Europe. There are other Gulf airlines that do the same. I think the fact that these places rely so much on Europeans, especially Brits, for shopping tourism makes the pitch quite understandable.
I've heard the term "occidental" used, though not frequently. And Oriental has gone out of style, replaced with Asian.

I think you are missing the point re being horrified at the American girls/Oriental girls ad--it was blatantly sexist, almost as if these women were prostitutes--the pitch was that these "girls" were there for the sole purpose of making the male travelers happy. That wouldn't fly today, partly because the business travelers are often females, too.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've heard the term "occidental" used, though not frequently. And Oriental has gone out of style, replaced with Asian.

I think you are missing the point re being horrified at the American girls/Oriental girls ad--it was blatantly sexist, almost as if these women were prostitutes--the pitch was that these "girls" were there for the sole purpose of making the male travelers happy. That wouldn't fly today, partly because the business travelers are often females, too.
No, it wouldn't fly today because the PC police would shoot it down, and they are the most powerful army in the world, and they always get their way. And, most women today are attracted to attractive women, and enjoy admiring them, and in fact, most women are at least a little bit bisexual, and quite a few female business travelers have probably had fantasies about their sewardess. Females can also be made happy by an attractive and stylish woman fawning over them and flashing her smile.

And, the term "Western" is very widely used in the world (instead of occidental) to distinguish Caucasian women (and men) from people of a visibly colored ancestry.

Back to the topic of magazines, why do women buy magazines that feature beautiful and sexy women on the covers? Same reason they want to fly on an airline with beautiful and sexy air hostesses.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-10-2011 at 10:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books