Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 02:35 PM

71 posts, read 104,494 times

Advertisements

The Purpose Driven Life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 03:23 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Read Mockingbird. Will get the second from the library post-haste super-stat. Thank you!

I can't believe people didn't read Beverly Cleary or Encyclopedia Brown books as children. That always blows me away. My favorite fiction novel of all time is Gone with the Wind and it blows me away that more people haven't picked it up...I am not into romance novels, but that's not what it is at all!!!!
I've never heard of Beverly Cleary.

I agree with you on Gone With The Wind, and with greatblueheron on In Cold Blood. Both are great books.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:25 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:
It still weirds me out when real readers under the age of 40 haven't read the Harry Potter series. They are super-fast reads (so not a huge time investment), the writing grows up with the books, and they are quite entertaining.
I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books - yet.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:38 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,752 times
I haven't read any Harry Potter books, and don't plan on it. I know plenty of people under 40 who have no plans to read them. We're not interested in the subject matter at all. I don't get all the love for In Cold Blood, either. I've read many true crime books and there are quite a few that are just as good, or better, though I haven't read one in many years.

I do understand someone not wanting to read a book because it's depressing, crime filled, etc... I won't read books about child abuse in any manner, or books where animals are mistreated. I don't need to read about it to know it exists.

But, the book I'm always surprised that someone hasn't read is To Kill a Mockingbird. Even if you didn't read it on your own, didn't you have to read it in school?

Old 06-27-2011, 06:26 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
The Bible [for those living in the U.S. who are not Jewish, Muslim, etc.). Even if someone isn't religious, it should still be standard reading, if only to have a point of reference for a lot of what goes on in the U.S, as well as other countries.

And it still weirds me out when someone has no idea what I'm talking about when I mention The Far Side [the comic strip series]. It must be a generational thing.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:01 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,318 times
The Scarlett Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. I don't particularly like the book, but I'm fascinated and shocked that someone got through HS without reading it.

While we were dating, I coerced my now husband into reading A Tale of Two Cities, which he really liked. I think that book is amazing.

Honestly, though, I don't know that I'm surprised when someone hasn't read Jane Austin or Dickens or Dickenson. I think they are wonderful writers, but that's just me.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:06 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
The Scarlett Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. I don't particularly like the book, but I'm fascinated and shocked that someone got through HS without reading it.

While we were dating, I coerced my now husband into reading A Tale of Two Cities, which he really liked. I think that book is amazing.

Honestly, though, I don't know that I'm surprised when someone hasn't read Jane Austin or Dickens or Dickenson. I think they are wonderful writers, but that's just me.
All of those books/authors should have been high school reading.

While we were dating, my wife had me read Pillars of the Earth. Wouldn't have picked up that book on my own (I love history, but european history bores me to tears). That was a really good book. Then it suddenly became popular a few years later.

My father gave me Jurassic Park way before it became the 'in thing' to read it. I thought it was very well-written, and I wound up reading everything the author wrote.

Does anyone else do that? If I find an author I like, I get everything they wrote and read it immediately.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
All of those books/authors should have been high school reading.

While we were dating, my wife had me read Pillars of the Earth. Wouldn't have picked up that book on my own (I love history, but european history bores me to tears). That was a really good book. Then it suddenly became popular a few years later.

My father gave me Jurassic Park way before it became the 'in thing' to read it. I thought it was very well-written, and I wound up reading everything the author wrote.

Does anyone else do that? If I find an author I like, I get everything they wrote and read it immediately.
I read Jurassic Park after my best friend RAVED about it in 9th grade. I turned my dad onto it, and our family drove a hour and half to a giant theater in our state's capital to see the movie. We talked about how much better the book was all the way home.

To answer your last Q: YES! I will read everything an author writes if I love just one book.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:19 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I read Jurassic Park after my best friend RAVED about it in 9th grade. I turned my dad onto it, and our family drove a hour and half to a giant theater in our state's capital to see the movie. We talked about how much better the book was all the way home.

To answer your last Q: YES! I will read everything an author writes if I love just one book.
Yes, the book was better. But I thought they did a really good job on the movie, too.

It's fun when the whole family reads something together, isn't it?

Old 06-27-2011, 09:20 PM

Well, we couldn't get mom to read it. hahaha! But she likes the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books