Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:19 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times

Advertisements

I can identify a character with someone I knew. In the Stephen King novel "The Green Mile" there is an awful character named Percy Wetmore, a truly horrible nasty mean spirited human being who is a prison guard in the story. He remind me so much of a guy I knew only briefly(fortunately!) in the military. When I read the book and King''s description of the character, I immediately thought: that's ______. It was uncanny the personality resemblance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:19 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
I not only identify with a character in my books, but I become that character as I read..Seeing , feeling and experiencing everything involving that character.

I always told my children and now my grandchildren to enjoy reading you have to put yourself in the shoes of your favorite character and see the things as he sees them..

I can't involve myself so much with a character in a movie or a tv show..Although I may thoroughly enjoy what I am watching I am unable to involve myself any more than showing emotions such as tears or laughter and sometimes fright.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:27 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,273 times
I don't understand how anyone could read a book and not relate, somehow, to the characters. To read a book so nonchalantly is like having the tv on in the background just for the noise. What's the point?

I think Miss Blue responded perfectly. That's exactly how I feel, too.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:03 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I don't understand how anyone could read a book and not relate, somehow, to the characters. To read a book so nonchalantly is like having the tv on in the background just for the noise. What's the point?

I think Miss Blue responded perfectly. That's exactly how I feel, too.
If it is a well written piece, I will be riveted even if the characters are not like me at all. It is not the same as ignoring what is going on in the book/story.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:53 PM

It must have to do with why people read to begin with. Personally, I want to relate to the characters. I want to feel like I'm there and part of the experience. Reading has always been very personal to me. I've never been a "casual" reader, or read for a momentary distraction or to pass the time. It's always an adventure. And, sometimes, like a vacation.

That has to be why it's hard for me to understand where you're coming from. I don't think you're wrong, or odd, or any of those things. It's just a foreign concept for me. If I had to choose between books, TV or movies for the rest of my life, books would win, hands down. Heck, I don't even have a TV! And I rarely ever go to the movies. (Maybe once every two years?)

Old 07-15-2011, 08:10 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
It must have to do with why people read to begin with. Personally, I want to relate to the characters. I want to feel like I'm there and part of the experience. Reading has always been very personal to me. I've never been a "casual" reader, or read for a momentary distraction or to pass the time. It's always an adventure. And, sometimes, like a vacation.

That has to be why it's hard for me to understand where you're coming from. I don't think you're wrong, or odd, or any of those things. It's just a foreign concept for me. If I had to choose between books, TV or movies for the rest of my life, books would win, hands down. Heck, I don't even have a TV! And I rarely ever go to the movies. (Maybe once every two years?)

I've gone most of my adult life without TV, although I will have to admit I am a film buff. Not sure with that has to deal with why I read or if you are implying something about me. If you read because you want to relate to the characters, that's fine. It is not unlike someone who can enjoy a movie for the special effects more than any other component, that's cool if that's what you enjoy the most. Just your comment about why bother reading, its like having a television on in the background seems very condescending.

If a character happens to go through something similar to something I went through, I will probably take note and react a bit differently but I fail to see why this is necessary for me to read or enjoy it, or why it reflects poorly or well on the writing itself. In my experience, a very interesting story and/or character(s) are often people living on the fringe or in ways I am unfamiliar.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
I've gone most of my adult life without TV, although I will have to admit I am a film buff. Not sure with that has to deal with why I read or if you are implying something about me. If you read because you want to relate to the characters, that's fine. It is not unlike someone who can enjoy a movie for the special effects more than any other component, that's cool if that's what you enjoy the most. Just your comment about why bother reading, its like having a television on in the background seems very condescending.

If a character happens to go through something similar to something I went through, I will probably take note and react a bit differently but I fail to see why this is necessary for me to read or enjoy it, or why it reflects poorly or well on the writing itself. In my experience, a very interesting story and/or character(s) are often people living on the fringe or in ways I am unfamiliar.
To clarify, I wasn't implying anything about you (or anyone else) at all and I wasn't trying to be condescending. I clearly stated that the reasons you read aren't wrong or odd at all. I merely mentioned that I find it hard to relate to your reasons since mine are so different. No better. No worse. That's how it is in life with any subject because people are different. No implications. No hidden meanings. Just a simple observation.

My comments about TV and movies were merely my opinions about how I feel about them compared to reading. It was a comparison to emphasize how much I enjoy reading. I would choose books over TV or movies.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:29 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I identify or like characters very strongly when I read. If I can't get into the characters, I don't like the book.

Sometimes it is disturbing. I don't know if anyone here ever read Nelson DeMille's Cathedral. It's a great story, although it was written in the 1980's and involved the IRA so it's a little dated now. The premise of the story is that an IRA faction takes over St. Patrick's Cathedral in Manhattan and holds hostages. The disturbing part is that my favorite character in the book is Leary, a demented Vietnam vet psychopath sniper sitting in the choir loft picking off whomever he can.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:20 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
I don't care about identifying with characters, and it seems to me that if that's important to people, they're going to miss out on a lot of good books.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I don't care about identifying with characters, and it seems to me that if that's important to people, they're going to miss out on a lot of good books.
How so? Relating to characters isn't my number one objective but it sure adds to the enjoyment of a novel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books