Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Remember when the first test question, after a required reading assignment, was "Who was your favorite character, and why?" Do you still find "favorite characters" in the books you read?

Maybe it's a defect in my literary appreciation, but I never see characters on any kind of a qualitative scale. If it's the author's intention to inspire me to like or dislike a character, then either he or I have failed.

TV sitcoms is a different story. If I don't personally like the characters, I don't watch the show. Why would I invite people I don't like into my living room? But that's not the way I feel about literary characters in books I'm reading. I accept them for who they are, and admit their differences into the structure of the story.

After all, the author has great power to color his character in any way he pleases, just as my neighbor has wide latitude to characterize an acquaintance. But that doesn't mean I need to believe them and accept that as the true color of the personage.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-11-2011 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 02:51 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Good question.

Yes, I often identify with characters in books or I like them so much that I wish I could be more like them. The first one that pops into my head is Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird. I don't indentify with him but I would like to be like him because, IMO, he is the most honorable character in any of the books I have read. Actually, I think I am in love with him and I have been for years.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:27 PM

169 posts, read 526,149 times
Having characters I like helps. E.g. The Sweetness At The Bottom of the Pie - the plot was just okay when it comes to murder/mystery type of books, but Flavia definitely was a very likeable character! Without her, I wouldn't have liked the book as much.

The same goes for Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - I think Lisbeth made a big difference since I think the storyline was just so-so. But she was a memorable character.

Sometimes I really couldn't care less about the characters, and usually I can't finish the book because I just don't care what happens to them.

Having said that, I still prefer plot-driven to character-driven books for the most part. If nothing happens, I get bored

Old 07-11-2011, 07:36 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
As an actor, I always look for a character to whom I can relate, probably because I'd like to be able to play her. I like a book to have a decent plot, but it needs a strong character or two if I'm expected to care about it.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:47 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do you identify with characters?
Absolutely. No matter how exciting the plot, if there isn't a character I identify with in the book, I just can't get into it. Which is why so much modern "literature" does nothing for me. I'll take Stephen King and Stan Lee over Thomas Pynchon and A.S. Byatt any day of the week and three times on Sundays.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:53 PM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
I have a problem with the concept of "identifying" with a character. It seems that people assume that, if you like a character, then there is something about the character with which you identify (i.e. find likeable similarities in yourself).

I rarely "identify" with characters in books b/c there lives are so different from my own. If I like a character, it's b/c there's something about them that I admire. I can empathize with just about any character as well, even those with which I have nothing in common. In fact, it is very difficult for me not to empathize with all of the characters in a book/film, even the bad guys.

However, I agree that the author's presentation of the character has almost nothing to do with my opinion of the character--something which has caused my teachers a lot of consternation.

The same goes for t.v. and film. There are characters that most people love that I can't stand and vice-versa. I definitely resist manipulation when I am engaged in any kind of intellectual/artistic pursuit b/c, for me, the whole point is to be critical, think for yourself and form your own opinion rather than to be convinced of one particular perspective or viewpoint.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:15 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I have a problem with the concept of "identifying" with a character. It seems that people assume that, if you like a character, then there is something about the character with which you identify (i.e. find likeable similarities in yourself).

I rarely "identify" with characters in books b/c there lives are so different from my own. If I like a character, it's b/c there's something about them that I admire. I can empathize with just about any character as well, even those with which I have nothing in common. In fact, it is very difficult for me not to empathize with all of the characters in a book/film, even the bad guys.....
This is my experience as well.

And I do resist being blatantly maniupulated. In the Paul Coelho books that I have read I inevitably get sick of the main character because the author so relentlessly hammers at you to love them. And, thus, he has ended up being near the top of my authors -I-cannot-stand list.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:30 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
No I don't identify with characters in books I've read but I wouldn't mind actually being some of them...lol

Old 07-13-2011, 01:31 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,210,761 times
Not really, it is unimportant to me whether or not the fictitious characters are doing the same things I have done.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:25 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
I think for me the most important thing about fictional characters is that they behave in accordance with their character. I don't like books where all the characters sound the same or where their actions start not to make sense given whatever characteristics the writer has given them. I don't like books where the the writer uses a character to put forward some pet peeve agenda of the writer's. Characters should be a little messy, like in real life.

I can't say I identify with any characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books