Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 05:29 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indomitablyShe View Post
Went to Borders this weekend hoping for big savings. NOPE... 20% off books still more than double, triple what I pay. I stopped buying books at Borders a few years ago. When you don't need to read the latest release you come out better in terms of price and selection with Amazon, thrift stores (got some real treasures there), even the library sells used books. I purchased over 100 books last year; all used, all for less than $4 with free shipping. I also prefer to buy hardbacks with larger font.

Still there was an occasional deal to be had. The bargain books were priced near $5 so I picked up a few just for local support.
I just saw this article online this morning:

What sale? Borders jacks up prices- MSN Money

It's like reverse liquidation. More in line of "perceived value" but... they're bankrupt. There IS no perceived value, especially when others are selling for less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 06:33 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
Liquidation sales are always like this. I noticed the same thing when Tower Records went out of business. The liquidators basically wipe out any and all sales and mark downs, and then it's 10% off the list price of almost everything in the store. This is why I went to Borders last Thursday to comb through the bargain books. I was able to find a book on women's health for $5, marked down from $25. I'm sure that same book would have been only 10% off starting last Friday. No, thanks!

I'm always amazed that people fall for this gimmick, but then again, most people who go to liquidation sales have never set foot in that store before and have no idea that they're paying more than they should. (And honestly, when I think about the way the stores get trashed by these bargain hunters, I have no sympathy for the vultures! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I just saw this article online this morning:

What sale? Borders jacks up prices- MSN Money

It's like reverse liquidation. More in line of "perceived value" but... they're bankrupt. There IS no perceived value, especially when others are selling for less.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:55 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Liquidation sales are always like this. I noticed the same thing when Tower Records went out of business. The liquidators basically wipe out any and all sales and mark downs, and then it's 10% off the list price of almost everything in the store. This is why I went to Borders last Thursday to comb through the bargain books. I was able to find a book on women's health for $5, marked down from $25. I'm sure that same book would have been only 10% off starting last Friday. No, thanks!

I'm always amazed that people fall for this gimmick, but then again, most people who go to liquidation sales have never set foot in that store before and have no idea that they're paying more than they should. (And honestly, when I think about the way the stores get trashed by these bargain hunters, I have no sympathy for the vultures! )
That's nutty-nutty-cuckoo. I had no idea that's how it works. That said, my heart belongs to Amazon (for better or for worse), Goodwill, and the library.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:19 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
I may have mentioned this, but when they closed the branch near me, the first few weeks were a waste of time. You could still get it cheaper on Amazon. When they finally got down to 40% off, that's when there was still some good stuff at a decent price. Once it hit 50% off, there wasn't much left. So there is about a one or two week sweet spot you need to hit.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:58 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I also said I would never get a cell phone or IPOD either I'm not ready to purchase a kindle yet, but may do so in a few years.
LOL'd over this. I'm technologically slow myself. I was never going to get a cell phone, but I've had one for almost ten years now. I still don't have an IPOD.

I'm afraid to think about Kindle...

Old 07-30-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
I may have mentioned this, but when they closed the branch near me, the first few weeks were a waste of time. You could still get it cheaper on Amazon. When they finally got down to 40% off, that's when there was still some good stuff at a decent price. Once it hit 50% off, there wasn't much left. So there is about a one or two week sweet spot you need to hit.
Mine is at the 40% mark now, but some things are still only 10% or 20%,

Old 07-30-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indomitablyShe View Post
Went to Borders this weekend hoping for big savings. NOPE... 20% off books still more than double, triple what I pay. I stopped buying books at Borders a few years ago. When you don't need to read the latest release you come out better in terms of price and selection with Amazon, thrift stores (got some real treasures there), even the library sells used books. I purchased over 100 books last year; all used, all for less than $4 with free shipping. I also prefer to buy hardbacks with larger font.

Still there was an occasional deal to be had. The bargain books were priced near $5 so I picked up a few just for local support.
I got a couple of short-story anthologies for $3.99 each. I have a long train ride to work every day, so they will make for good commute reading.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:57 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
We'll all be sorry someday when brick and morter stores aren't around.

I wish they'd at least keep the Ann Arbor store open. I had no idea it was a chain when I went to school there in the 80s. I spent many lovely afternoons there browsing, reading

Old 08-06-2011, 07:03 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
We'll all be sorry someday when brick and morter stores aren't around.
I think there will always be some brick-and-mortar stores. Just not as many as before the internet and e-readers. But there will always be a place for them. And my hope is that all the little mom and pop used book stores the chains ran out of business make a comeback now that the chains aren't on every corner.

The times, they are a changing.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:41 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
I think there will always be some brick-and-mortar stores. Just not as many as before the internet and e-readers. But there will always be a place for them. And my hope is that all the little mom and pop used book stores the chains ran out of business make a comeback now that the chains aren't on every corner.

The times, they are a changing.
Agreed.

I don't think books are dying. Therefore, there is still a place for books. But publishing has changed radically in the past 20 years, and for bookstores to survive, they are going to have to adapt to that new environment. And I think smaller stores are more naturally suited to that than the big chains.

A good example is the Bull Moose stores here in New England. They are primarily a store that sells music, movies, and video games. With the rise of iTunes, Amazon.com, Netflix, etc., you figure they'd be dead in the water. On the contrary, they are thriving. In fact, some of their stores are even expanding. But they are doing it in a very smart way. Because they are still fairly small, each store is able to cater to the needs of its community. And because they carry both new and used merchandise, they are able to compete with online retailers.

Bull Moose actually reminds me a lot of what Borders was 20 years ago, before they went corporate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books