U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 04:31 PM

995 posts, read 960,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
That's the benefit of starting the series late in the game. I don't have to wait for the next installment.

Never considered myself a big fantasy fan, except for "Harry Potter". I did love Orson Scott Card's "Enchantment" though. I listened to it and the narrator was outstanding.

I hear "Name of the Wind" is good too.

Go ahead and suggest away!
I read Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear in less than 2 weeks. Totally engrossing huge books, and I can't wait for the third book next year. For a new author, Patrick Rothfuss is wonderful storyteller.

One of my top (if not the top) fantasy authors is Lois McMaster Bujold. Try The Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls, and The Hallowed Hunt.
There are five gods involved, each book focusing on one. I keep waiting and hoping for the next one, but it's been awhile. (I could probably write an entire post just about Bujold's scifi and fantasy titles. But if you're sticking to fantasy for the time being, these are just super)

The Deed of Paksennarion by Elizabeth Moon - This is a single volume containing the first three books in this world. One of my favorites.

As far as Orson Scott Card goes, I've read both Ender series. My preference there are the series about Bean that begin with Ender's Shadow. These are scifi tho, not fantasy.

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie - followed by Before They are Hanged and The Last Argument of Kings. My son loved these and gave them to me with misgivings. They can be violent and gory...but I finished each one looking for the next book.

Other scifi/fantasy authors I like are Steven Brust (Vlad Taltos series), Kate Elliott, Terry Goodkind, Brandon Sanderson.

I think that's enough to start off with lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 09:31 AM

5,620 posts, read 4,169,879 times
One of the best just straight romance books I read was "Whitney, My Love". Anyone else read that?

I love romance books but most of them written today are IMO too dumb, or too filled with lust and not love (I'm not a prude, but when the 1st encouter happens in the first 1/4 of the book, that is too early)....

Old 08-09-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
One of the best just straight romance books I read was "Whitney, My Love". Anyone else read that?

I love romance books but most of them written today are IMO too dumb, or too filled with lust and not love (I'm not a prude, but when the 1st encouter happens in the first 1/4 of the book, that is too early)....
I bought the original, 1st printing of Whitney, My Love in paperback when it came out waaaay back when.
I loved every one of Judith McNaught's historicals, one of the best romance authors in my opinion. Her contemporaries, not so much.

Other favorite authors in the same vein are Mary Balogh (veddy British, just sweet stories well told), the first half dozen or so books in Stephanie Laurens series about the Cynster family.
All of Georgette Heyer's regencies, some of them are just so funny.
(As you can tell, I'm addicted to the regency period.)

Moving on to other genres...
Have you read any of Evanovich's books?

Old 08-09-2011, 10:55 AM

6,488 posts, read 7,453,129 times
Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati. This is the first in a series.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati. This is the first in a series.
And...Jamie and Claire from Outlander make an appearance.
I totally forgot this one, I loaned it to my sisters and haven't seen it since.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 PM

5,620 posts, read 4,169,879 times
Read "Into the Wilderness" but couldn't get into the rest of the series.

I have some Georgette Heyer but haven't delved into them yet.

ITA re: Judith McNaught on the historical vs. the contemporaries. I read the revised (anniversary) edition of "Whitney, My Love".....that book is TDF romantic. I read all the others too but that one was the best, IMO. I love the way she is so detailed about things, like them playing chess together, and the wedding day. My favorite scene is when the Duke gives her the jewels because she is his duchess now. Sigh....

I have read much of Mary Balogh, and think her older stuff (like the "Pearl" series) is far superior to her newer stuff.

I absolutely love the British romantic fiction....in fact, I think I know the rules of British peerage cold from reading those types of books....but so much of it now has lost it's luster. It is formulaic and trite and disappointing.

Some Kathleen Woodwiss (sp?) books are interesting....I remember whem my older sister gave me "Shanna" to read and I was all !!!!

A recent book I enjoyed was "A Discovery of Witches" although the reviews of it are absolutely horrible.

I Have not read Evanovich. Should I? Not exactly epic.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I have read much of Mary Balogh, and think her older stuff (like the "Pearl" series) is far superior to her newer stuff.

I absolutely love the British romantic fiction....in fact, I think I know the rules of British peerage cold from reading those types of books....but so much of it now has lost it's luster. It is formulaic and trite and disappointing.

Some Kathleen Woodwiss (sp?) books are interesting....I remember whem my older sister gave me "Shanna" to read and I was all !!!!

I Have not read Evanovich. Should I? Not exactly epic.
I've been reading romance since before there were separate romance sections in bookstores.
The Original Ladies of Romance by Shirlee Busbee (http://www.romconinc.com/index.php?option=com_lyftenbloggie&view=entry&id=1 424 - broken link)
As was said in an earlier post, there are so many really bad authors in the genre, it takes years of determined reading to find the diamonds in the rough.

As far as Georgette Heyer goes, I'd recommend starting off with any, but these are some of my favorites:
The Grand Sophy
Fredericka
A Civil Contract
The Quiet Gentleman

A great many of her titles have been reprinted over the last 6-8 yrs, so shouldn't be too difficult to find.

As far as Evanovich goes... the Plum series is just... hysterically over-the-top silly. You won't leave them with any deep thoughts, just the feeling you've never laughed so hard in your life. Find One for the Money and Two for the Dough to start, and know you're in for the most fun you've ever had reading a book.
The movie One for the Money is to be released next January.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:09 PM

179 posts, read 443,232 times
A Woman of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford is a wonderful book, so is As The Crow Flies by Jeffrey Archer. Both sweeping and big fat books.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:26 PM

3,469 posts, read 7,416,457 times
Jane Eyre is a favorite of mine (the film versions don't do it any justice either), but I am more of a classic literature reader. As far as Romanticism goes, it's a defining novel of the era, and it's certainly well-written.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:01 AM

449 posts, read 443,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
I read Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear in less than 2 weeks. Totally engrossing huge books, and I can't wait for the third book next year. For a new author, Patrick Rothfuss is wonderful storyteller.

Anne,
Have you read any of Patrick Rothfuss' blog? He is one funny guy! Like you, I'm aslo in love with his storytelling and way with words. I actually have a signed copy of his not-quite-for-children picture book: The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle.

Amazon.com: The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle: The Thing Beneath the Bed (9781596063136): Patrick Rothfuss, Nate Taylor: Books

For the OP,
I might recommend: East of Eden - Steinbeck, Mistress of Rome- Quinn, and The Crimson Petal and White - Faber.

I guess they aren't necessarily EPIC, but they are gripping tales with romance central to their plot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or