U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:16 PM

15,895 posts, read 16,024,507 times

Advertisements

The first title that I thought of was The Thornbirds.

The second was Trinity by Leon Uris.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 06:04 AM

15,803 posts, read 9,982,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
The first title that I thought of was The Thornbirds.

The second was Trinity by Leon Uris.
Given what the OP has said so far, if she's having trouble choosing from amongst what's been recommended on this thread, I'd second The Thornbirds.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:23 AM

6,053 posts, read 7,053,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
I will find his blog and add it to my list of daily website drop-bys, which seems to get longer... and... longer every day lol. Thanks!

I ordered The Magicians: A Novel by Lev Grossman from Amazon yesterday, on the advice of a friend. Has anyone else tried him?
I've read that book and I liked it. Based on my liking it, I bought The Magician King, which just came out, a sequel, and was disappointed. It left me wondering whether the first book had been as good as I remember it being, or if I just wasn't in the right mood when I read the sequel.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:11 PM

995 posts, read 960,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I've read that book and I liked it. Based on my liking it, I bought The Magician King, which just came out, a sequel, and was disappointed. It left me wondering whether the first book had been as good as I remember it being, or if I just wasn't in the right mood when I read the sequel.
I checked the reviews on Amazon, and some people there felt they should have re-read The Magician before starting the sequel. I'm about 1/3 through it now, and like it very much so far.
IMO...the second book in a series, if it's to be a trilogy, is disappointing in some ways because of plots being unresolved, events not explained, etc. This may be the case.
I'm reading with the knowledge in my back brain that, yess! there's another one after this. Maybe I'll just hold off on it til the 3rd comes out?

Old 09-01-2011, 02:11 AM

1,877 posts, read 2,227,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post

Wild Swan by Celeste de Blasis (first of a trilogy, Swan's Chance, and A Season of Swans)
This series is my favorite series to read and read again. I probably have read them 20 times. I love the characters and enjoy spending time with them.
My number one favorite book of all time is The Proud Breed by Celeste de Blasis. I read this book at least once a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post

Some Kathleen Woodwiss (sp?) books are interesting....I remember whem my older sister gave me "Shanna" to read and I was all !!!!
I have most of K Woodiwiss's books. I like some a lot more than others. I love books that take place during the Civil War years, so obviously those would be my favorite. I read Shanna when I was a teen. Enjoyed it so much I bought it and all the rest in hardback.

Reading through this thread has been enlightening.
There are so many books I have NEVER read listed here. Someday I may get around to reading some of them.
Right now I am reading old favorites from my own library - the Kent family chronicles by John Jakes.
(Pssst. I'm over 50 and I HAVE read Harry Potter. I need to read the last one, but, of course, have to read the series in order before that.)

Old 09-02-2011, 01:14 PM

9,444 posts, read 15,939,851 times
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:00 PM

5,690 posts, read 4,190,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Given what the OP has said so far, if she's having trouble choosing from amongst what's been recommended on this thread, I'd second The Thornbirds.
Thanks, but the The Thornbirds was on my original list. Fantastic book; I need to re-read it.

I appreciate all the suggestions and am looking for some of the books (some are hard to find).

Right now I am caught up with the first book in The Game of Thrones series. What a great book!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:03 PM

5,690 posts, read 4,190,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
WUTHERING HEIGHTS by Emily Bronte!!!!

It takes the word Epic to a whole new level, and Katherine and Heatchliff are the most inmortal romance in the history of literature.

Awesome classic. Youll love it.

Yes, have read Wuthering Heights many times. Although I do not love it as much as I love Jane Eyre, which is my all time favorite book.

No need to recommend the classics, fellow readers; I have multiple graduate degrees in English Literature. Not to sound snotty. But I read all those books back when I HAD to read them.

So many others I haven't gotten to, though....John Jakes, are those really good? "Trinity" by Leon Uris....I remember my mom reading that. I have never read Michiner. The Sidney Sheldon book sounds interesting and I am on the hunt for the Swan books. THANKS so much, everyone!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks, but the The Thornbirds was on my original list. Fantastic book; I need to re-read it.
Doh! Well, see there - no wonder it seemed perfect for you

Old 09-06-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
No need to recommend the classics, fellow readers; I have multiple graduate degrees in English Literature. Not to sound snotty. But I read all those books back when I HAD to read them.
Aha - that zinged a recommendation into my head for you. Not a classic, but it is a book by a 'major' writer. Have you tried Orlando by Virginia Woolf? One person, hundreds of years, changing gender roles, queens, palaces, love, wit - very entertaining and engaging read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or