U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 03:54 PM

5,690 posts, read 4,190,290 times

Advertisements

Hhm, no...Read "To the Lighthouse", which was not my cuppa tea. Wonder if I would like "Orlando"?

I really did not mean to sound snotty about the classics. Sorry if it did. I just remember all those years of Dickens over and over and over when what I wanted to be reading was along the lines of these novels we've mentioned.

When I finally was assigned "Jane Eyre" I was thrilled!

Another great one for me was "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" by Thomas Hardy. Loved it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 04:23 PM

15,803 posts, read 9,982,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Hhm, no...Read "To the Lighthouse", which was not my cuppa tea. Wonder if I would like "Orlando"?

I really did not mean to sound snotty about the classics. Sorry if it did. I just remember all those years of Dickens over and over and over when what I wanted to be reading was along the lines of these novels we've mentioned.
I remember having a different reaction to Orlando than To the Lighthouse - or to some others of hers. My memory might be warped by the memory of the movie, too, though. Tilda Swinton stars in the adaptation - great costumes and gardens/settings.

No, you didn't sound snotty - it's hard to get a potentially helpful fact like that out without being a little self conscious. You struck the right balance of telling us and then apologizing immediately Time for me to practice tying my shoes again...heehee - it could be fun to harass you mercilessly over this, you know.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:19 PM

Someone asked if I enjoy historical fiction.

I don't know, honestly.

I so enjoy the romance element that I haven't pursued the straight historical fiction books.

My DH is a wonderful man, but he will be the first to tell you he is not outwardly romantic (he is an engineer). I have to live vicariously.....

Anyway, what historical fiction books should I look at?

Old 09-09-2011, 01:05 PM

995 posts, read 960,649 times
Quote:
Someone asked if I enjoy historical fiction.

I don't know, honestly.

I so enjoy the romance element that I haven't pursued the straight historical fiction books.

My DH is a wonderful man, but he will be the first to tell you he is not outwardly romantic (he is an engineer). I have to live vicariously.....

Anyway, what historical fiction books should I look at?
In your original post you listed:

"Gone With the Wind"
"The Far Pavillions"
"Outlander" (plus the rest)
"The Thorn Birds"
"The Bronze Horseman"
"Forever Amber"

These are historical fiction. With some romance thrown in, but still...lol.

You also mentioned in another post that you hadn't read Michener. At one point in my book career, I had all of his books. He was my favorite author for so many years. Chesapeake and Centennial (made into a tv mini-series) were my most re-read.

A WWII author I loved was Herman Wouk. The Winds of War and War and Remembrance (both made into a tv mini-series) were so good. He also wrote Marjorie Morningstar and The Caine Mutiny, each were made into a movie.

Wish you luck in finding more to read. And more...and more.

When I was a pre-teen, I discovered our local Carnegie library, which was amazingly within walking distance for me. I spent my summers there, and the ladies allowed me to take huge piles of books home. I am a fast reader. I've learned to slow down a bit, to savor the stories nowadays, but I'll always remember those books. I want you to know I'm also compelled to find them all again to reread now. Gee, thanks. lol!

Old 09-09-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
These are historical fiction. With some romance thrown in, but still...lol.
Yes, I know, but that is only because I dislike contemporary romances.

I like the historical setting PLUS the romance.

To me, in those books the romance comes first, albeit the romance is shaped by the history of the time period.

I will need to run to the library tomorrow....

Old 09-10-2011, 10:55 AM

1,597 posts, read 1,230,203 times
Quote:
These are among my favorite books:

"Gone With the Wind"
"The Far Pavillions"
"Outlander" (plus the rest)
"The Thorn Birds"
"The Bronze Horseman"
"Forever Amber"

I find these books to be all-engrossing; they really pulled me into their worlds and transported me.

Based on these books, can you make recommendations for other books in a similar vein (grand, sweeping, historical romance--very well written!)?
Time & Unforeseen Occurrence by Jesse Leigh Brackstone - it's a terrific seven-novel series. I'm a huge fan of Taylor Caldwell too and think you might like The Captains and the Kings. Let me know?

Shabbat Shalom,

Mahrie.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:41 AM

108 posts, read 177,170 times
OMG Taylor Caldwell is my all time favorite author! Have over twenty of her titles, and my favorites (in no particular order) include such masterpieces as "Dear and Glorious Physician", "The Balance Wheel", "Testimony of Two Men", "Bright Flows the River", and "This Side of Innocence" to name a few. I HIGHLY recommend any book of hers..they are epic indeed!

Old 09-23-2011, 07:15 AM

42,661 posts, read 77,728,717 times
Ordinarily, I would not read an epic romance, but in Indonesia, I had to read whatever I could get my hands on, and I read "The Far Pavilions", which was actually a pretty tolerable read. Much better than "Pillars of the Earth". Even better, I thought, than "Lonesome Dove", which really took a nosedive about halfway through, like the author got tired of writing it, and turned it over to some hacks and said Here, finish this. (I just classify them all as "Long Books".)

Old 09-27-2011, 03:39 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,227,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Time & Unforeseen Occurrence by Jesse Leigh Brackstone - it's a terrific seven-novel series. I'm a huge fan of Taylor Caldwell too and think you might like The Captains and the Kings. Let me know?

Shabbat Shalom,

Mahrie.
Captain and the Kings is the very first hardback book I ever bought myself. I went to a large book sale and spent a whole dollar. Still have it to this day... re-read it just a few months ago. A terrific read!

Old 09-29-2011, 12:05 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,881,235 times
Has anyone mentioned 'The Outlander' series by Diana Gabaldon???
Soooo romantic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or